GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS400 5-6 speed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10 | 03:29 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Yes. Some have on here. I bet the GS is a blast to drive rowing the gears yourself. But I suspect if it were cheap enough and anyone could do it easily, I bet we'd see more threads like this...

"Broke a half shaft. Again."
The 2GS rear end is very similar to the supra in terms of construction, just minus the LSD. There are a couple supra guys out there running over 1krwhp on the stock diff. Also, there are plenty of high HP supra guys out there drag racing and launching at 5-6K rpm on the stock diff and half shafts. Usually the weakpoint is the driveshaft, it gets twisted in half. The halfshafts generally don't need to be upgraded until you start approaching the 1000rwhp mark.

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
It would be fun for awhile, but I can think of a better way to spend my time/money on this car. Who was it that put the manual in his GS300 recently, TTTurboPimp (sp?)?
I'm putting in a 6spd soon along with a Carbonetics triple carbon clutch. Hoping to lay down around 1100whp. That's how I spend my money
Old 04-12-10 | 05:32 AM
ROBONY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
The 2GS rear end is very similar to the supra in terms of construction, just minus the LSD. There are a couple supra guys out there running over 1krwhp on the stock diff. Also, there are plenty of high HP supra guys out there drag racing and launching at 5-6K rpm on the stock diff and half shafts. Usually the weakpoint is the driveshaft, it gets twisted in half. The halfshafts generally don't need to be upgraded until you start approaching the 1000rwhp mark.

I'm putting in a 6spd soon along with a Carbonetics triple carbon clutch. Hoping to lay down around 1100whp. That's how I spend my money
Sweet, when u starting? id like to to see pics soon!
Old 04-12-10 | 05:49 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I BET, in stock form...if a GS4XX would have a 6MT swap it would be .5 seconds quicker to 60mph and .5 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile.

Realistic numbers:

Stock: 0-60 (5.9 sec) 1/4 mile (14.2)
Stock w/6MT: 0-60 (5.4 sec) 1/4 mile (13.7)

Now throw a lot of bolt-on mods like I have and WHAM! I think you could see around 13.3's. This is just IMHO.

The transmission SUCKS the big one in our cars. I feel that it is smarter to make the weaker areas stronger. Where MOST on CL focus on making the strong (engine) even stronger; by adding superchargers or turbo applications. "There is more than one way to skin a cat." If I had $6-7K to spend I would look into a completely different transmission. Not a supercharger that I would need another $2-3K to properly set it up and only yield low 13's anyway. Be different, try something new!

Oh, and I have too heard that there are SC4XX guys with a manual tranny swap but those V8 engines are NOT the exact same as the GS4XX engines...search, they yield different outputs (power). The only GS owners that I have EVER heard of doing a manual swap are the GS300 guys with the 2JZ swap.

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 04-12-10 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-12-10 | 07:06 AM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

I had no idea the halfshafts were that strong. That's pretty good that Lexus beefed them up from the factory.
Old 04-12-10 | 09:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by austin7891
(god now i sound like 'that guy') use the search function, i had the same question and there are alot of great threads, you will find out that a group buy for the necessary parts has already taken place long ago...

dont quote it and say that guy, get the back bone and say like me. well if u some of u noobs and older people like the OP would search we wouldnt have these useless new threads daily/weekly. glad u didnt post a new thread and you did search, there was indeed a GB for the parts to convert a gs400/gs430

they are a few people who have done a 5/6 speed conversion to the gs and also IN THOSE THREADS it was mentioned about doing a V-8 manual conversion.

talk to adamgamez (?) he did one on his gs3 and i think his builder was gonna do a v-8 or one of the guys were. i even inquired bout it myself along time ago...till i found out the price
Old 04-12-10 | 03:52 PM
ROBONY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
dont quote it and say that guy, get the back bone and say like me. well if u some of u noobs and older people like the OP would search we wouldnt have these useless new threads daily/weekly. glad u didnt post a new thread and you did search, there was indeed a GB for the parts to convert a gs400/gs430

they are a few people who have done a 5/6 speed conversion to the gs and also IN THOSE THREADS it was mentioned about doing a V-8 manual conversion.

talk to adamgamez (?) he did one on his gs3 and i think his builder was gonna do a v-8 or one of the guys were. i even inquired bout it myself along time ago...till i found out the price
whats the price?
Old 04-12-10 | 04:09 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5t341th
why waste the time? would probably need a bellhousing converter to fit the tranny to the crappy gs4 motor
Calling the flagship engine of Lexus "crappy" seems very ignorant if you ask me.
Old 04-12-10 | 06:14 PM
tom steele
Lead Lap

clean s14 swaped motor and tranny out of a gs 400 tremec 6 speed with a ls1 out of a gto and there are adapter plates to mount a lt1 tremec 6 speed to the 1uz motor its all possible if your pockets are deep... i have been looking at what would be better to swap just the tranny or motor and tranny since parts for a ls1 motors are cheap i am leaning that direction. dgr fab makes the bracket kits for the motor swap.
Old 04-12-10 | 09:26 PM
iloveGS4xx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
Calling the flagship engine of Lexus "crappy" seems very ignorant if you ask me.

1UZ-FE POWER
Old 04-13-10 | 01:23 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ROBONY
whats the price?
click on that search button and get looking. i mean i used to help new people as they had a excuse but now it seems its the noobs, the OG's and EVERYONE just being lazy bout looking for info.
Old 04-13-10 | 05:55 AM
ROBONY
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
click on that search button and get looking. i mean i used to help new people as they had a excuse but now it seems its the noobs, the OG's and EVERYONE just being lazy bout looking for info.
\

Just so you know... i did try to search it even before i started the thread and for some reason i received other results. If i started the thread is because i couldn't find any answers, i don't know why Lazy? i'm not... would i have known it would have cause so much grief over one question, i would have not asked a single question... Sorry for the inconvenience search gurus. Leave it as that i lost my interest in this thread already, as i was the one that started it. Mods please close this thread, thank you.

Ciaoo
Old 04-13-10 | 08:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ROBONY
\

Just so you know... i did try to search it even before i started the thread and for some reason i received other results. If i started the thread is because i couldn't find any answers, i don't know why Lazy? i'm not... would i have known it would have cause so much grief over one question, i would have not asked a single question... Sorry for the inconvenience search gurus. Leave it as that i lost my interest in this thread already, as i was the one that started it. Mods please close this thread, thank you.

Ciaoo
by all means don't be discourage because of me....i'm sure IF U SEARCHED, its the keywords u searched under. TRY manual gs or manual tranny or manual transmission or something to that effect

Last edited by sakataj; 04-13-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-13-10 | 11:07 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

^ Brian...ease up there on the new guys. IF THEY ARE REPETATIVE with their questions over and over again then yeah, by all means tell them to search! But ease up on the new guys; there are many posts of yours like this.

iirc Another eample is your CF engine cover thread. I think someone else (besides me) asked you how much it cost and you jumped down their throat about searching and it was covered elsewhere.

IMHO if it takes a one sentence response, who cares, answer their question...I do. If it is something that can go on for pages and pages back and forth then they should perform the search function.

This is not only directed at you, there are many other members that get short rather quickly at miniscule stuff... ;(
Old 04-13-10 | 12:03 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
^ Brian...ease up there on the new guys. IF THEY ARE REPETATIVE with their questions over and over again then yeah, by all means tell them to search! But ease up on the new guys; there are many posts of yours like this.

iirc Another eample is your CF engine cover thread. I think someone else (besides me) asked you how much it cost and you jumped down their throat about searching and it was covered elsewhere.

IMHO if it takes a one sentence response, who cares, answer their question...I do. If it is something that can go on for pages and pages back and forth then they should perform the search function.

This is not only directed at you, there are many other members that get short rather quickly at miniscule stuff... ;(
Rock, its just ridiculous LATELY. i mean the guy in my CF post had asked and i had answered how much it was 4 post above where he asked again....just read.

sorry OP, rock is KINDA right

i cannot find the old GB bout the part for our gs but here is one that might help or shed some light for you although it is for a sc400

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-of-pics.html
Old 04-13-10 | 12:13 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

ok so OP as a apology i went diggin and looking and i FINALLY found it

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...400-430-a.html

its a OLD old thread but i went and emailed the OP like 2 days after my post in it....found out all the info bout it...

i believe c0wboy also has these or something to do with these

Quick Reply: GS400 5-6 speed?