GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

? For All You 2001+ NAV Equipped GS Owners WITH Aftermarket Audio

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10 | 09:33 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by excluesive
since you were trying to keep the navigation voice working normally (where audio mutes) you would definitely have to use the stock ML amp.
I forgot he wanted to keep the mute feature. It's a lot more complicated then. I'm running the Alpine headunit that does the muting for the nav so I didn't run into that problem. I would really just chuck the OEM nav and get a better aftermarket one. It makes everything so much simpler IMHO. I'm different than others in that I hate having all the different controls on different menus on the touch screen. I like my AC controls separate from my audio controls and such.
Old 04-28-10 | 11:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I forgot he wanted to keep the mute feature. It's a lot more complicated then. I'm running the Alpine headunit that does the muting for the nav so I didn't run into that problem. I would really just chuck the OEM nav and get a better aftermarket one. It makes everything so much simpler IMHO. I'm different than others in that I hate having all the different controls on different menus on the touch screen. I like my AC controls separate from my audio controls and such.
see until u said it chris, i was unaware the gs430's could do the NAV to NON-NAV switch like some of the older members did...had i known that, when my NAV ECU fried ages ago i would have done that then...it woulda made my current audio build MUCH cheaper....that alpine vpa unit was brought in just to aid the units im using to work with the oem screen
Old 04-28-10 | 11:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
see until u said it chris, i was unaware the gs430's could do the NAV to NON-NAV switch like some of the older members did...had i known that, when my NAV ECU fried ages ago i would have done that then...it woulda made my current audio build MUCH cheaper....that alpine vpa unit was brought in just to aid the units im using to work with the oem screen
I know. When I was doing the research here everyone used to say it was going to be a wiring nightmare. Then my friend who owns an Audio/Aftermarket parts shop told me he just dropped in a non navi AC control unit and aftermarket double DIN on a NAV car for a used car dealer that had a broken screen and it was plug and play. I know he knew what he was talking about so I bought the non NAV AC control on ebay for $40 or so, and sure enough it was a direct plug and play. The connectors fit perfect and all wiring pin are correct. You just have to wire in the aftermarket stereo like any other stereo though.
Old 04-28-10 | 12:28 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

I know. When I was doing the research here everyone used to say it was going to be a wiring nightmare. Then my friend who owns an Audio/Aftermarket parts shop told me he just dropped in a non navi AC control unit and aftermarket double DIN on a NAV car for a used car dealer that had a broken screen and it was plug and play. I know he knew what he was talking about so I bought the non NAV AC control on ebay for $40 or so, and sure enough it was a direct plug and play. The connectors fit perfect and all wiring pin are correct. You just have to wire in the aftermarket stereo like any other stereo though.
yeah so where were u when my nav ecu fried. u coulda saved me atleast 1000 of this build im doing now....

Old 04-28-10 | 12:56 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

i am in a different arena where i wanted to keep my dash looking stock as the navi screen was the main reason i bought the car. I think they made it flow very well from factory. And yes, switching out the screen could have saved me a bunch, but where's the fun in that? Oh yeah, and with my unit, I can add in the kenwood navi-brain and antenna for under 350 bucks and have 2 fully functioning navigation units.

Official unveiling is approaching fast.
Old 04-30-10 | 07:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i am in a different arena where i wanted to keep my dash looking stock as the navi screen was the main reason i bought the car. I think they made it flow very well from factory. And yes, switching out the screen could have saved me a bunch, but where's the fun in that? Oh yeah, and with my unit, I can add in the kenwood navi-brain and antenna for under 350 bucks and have 2 fully functioning navigation units.

Official unveiling is approaching fast.
yeah i wanna keep mine looking OEM also...

awaiting your unveiling Chris
Old 04-30-10 | 07:47 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

delayed a couple more days, 1 more week exactly, sorry I cannot provide teasers LOL
Old 05-03-10 | 10:50 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Default yeah, so another issue

i have one issue....seems noone makes steering wheel controls for our car? is this even true..... they said the ones i have wont work

oh, i bought the Peripheral Peswiakjc Steering Wheel Control Interface
Old 05-03-10 | 11:39 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

if you are using the stock amp as the outputs to your other devices for audio, there is absolutely no reason that you even need the pac unit.
Old 05-03-10 | 11:45 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
i have one issue....seems noone makes steering wheel controls for our car? is this even true..... they said the ones i have wont work

oh, i bought the Peripheral Peswiakjc Steering Wheel Control Interface
I think it would have worked if you were not retaining the stock headunit and possibly if the b222 had a steering wheel control input which I don't thnk it did. I have a b222 myself by the way. In that case you would have to use one of those older IR ones that basically mimmic a remote control.

Still though that may not work since your steering wheel control will still be active and controlling your OEM system so there is a conflict.
Old 05-03-10 | 12:12 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

yeah you have to choose one or the other.
Old 05-03-10 | 02:21 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

if you are using the stock amp as the outputs to your other devices for audio, there is absolutely no reason that you even need the pac unit.
im not though, stock amp is JUST being used to nav i believe. i dunno

I think it would have worked if you were not retaining the stock headunit and possibly if the b222 had a steering wheel control input which I don't thnk it did. I have a b222 myself by the way. In that case you would have to use one of those older IR ones that basically mimmic a remote control.

Still though that may not work since your steering wheel control will still be active and controlling your OEM system so there is a conflict.
oh...nice bet u paid a bundle for yours though. they selling for cheap now. BTW where did u put your remote for the B222?

yeah you have to choose one or the other.
ugh thats lame
Old 05-03-10 | 03:13 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

argh 3 days left till I pick up the car... new air suspension stuff and a full on audio build and no TV's except the one in dash because I don't like TV's
Old 05-03-10 | 05:12 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

I wasn't allowed to take pics of the build LOL, but I know the progress and hard work going in to it. I am excited for sure
Old 05-03-10 | 07:22 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

argh 3 days left till I pick up the car... new air suspension stuff and a full on audio build and no TV's except the one in dash because I don't like TV's
least yours is done in 3 more days, my Plexiglas is still in Nashville. the floods we got here the last few days have cause a delay in shipping. nashville got bout 22" of rain and we got like 19". my work got flooded. amp STILL isnt here

we had bout 1 foot of standing water in our showroom and our bout 6" of standing water in our warehouse. the backroom of my house flooded

I wasn't allowed to take pics of the build LOL, but I know the progress and hard work going in to it. I am excited for sure

why couldn't u take any pics?

Quick Reply: ? For All You 2001+ NAV Equipped GS Owners WITH Aftermarket Audio