GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

26 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-10, 10:37 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Hypermilers are those crazy folks who go the bare minimum speed on the highway, or turn their engines off when they stop at a stoplight, and do other things can is probably not good for the car, or the people around them.
i thought the constant on/off of a car actually wasted gas...?
Old 04-21-10, 12:24 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I too think that's unwise. Lol
Old 04-21-10, 02:10 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mostly highway and minimal city I get about 29-30 MPG out of my 2000 GS400.
Old 04-21-10, 02:15 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

My GS430 is a hybrid.
Old 04-21-10, 02:16 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by McKrevice
Mostly highway and minimal city I get about 29-30 MPG out of my 2000 GS400.
Now I would LOVE to get that right there.
Old 04-21-10, 09:38 PM
TopRamen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MPG CHALLENGE RESULTS:

sakataj - 1 point

all challengers - 5 points

WINNER BY UNANIMOUS DECISION: NOBODY!

why am i even reading this d@mn thread.

i own a gs3, mpgs mean nothing to me. i don't even freakin' belong here.
Old 04-22-10, 07:16 AM
steiner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There might be a chance everybody is right but some are not that accurate. It all depends on how you do the mpg calculation, to be specific how to measure the gallons input. My measurement was very exact (being an engineer) but it sounded like some people just estimated the gallons input therefore the result was off the chart. It does not take much error to arrive at 29 - 30 mpg.
Old 04-22-10, 07:34 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by sakataj
wouldnt 372 + 30 make it 402 NOT 430?
i assume u in a gs300 anyways right mack?so u got 27 MPG AND u were doing 110 WITH the a/c on? shenanigans sir... i couldnt even muster that doing 65 with no ac and no weight in the car....except girl and i plus one small bag
No, it's 430 - it's 372 from center to center (meaning downtown Hell-A to downtown Phoenix). I'm 30 miles from there, and I drove 30 miles the day before I left, so 372+60. I drive a 430, not a 300. I did have the AC on, but I was doing 110 mostly on the downhills, so there was some aid there. Either way, no shenanigans. I was floored by it myself, to be honest. I couldn't believe I cruised into the gas station right around the corner from my place and only had to put in that much fuel. I run 91 (it's the best we have out here, unfortunately), and at that point was getting my fuel from QuikTrip. I have since switched exclusively to CostCo, and have noticed no difference in performance even with a heavier wallet due to the savings.

Like Jewcano said, nothing to win here, just sharing the experience. In mixed city/highway driving, I average over 21 MPG. I try never to floor it, and do my best to coast to lights that are going to change up for me to green and do minimal braking whenever I can. I know the cars are only "supposed" to get 20-25K out of a set of pads, but I get much more because of my driving habits. My old car had a set that lasted 60K and I only changed them because I figured after owning the car for 6 years I should change them out . I had done the basic maintenance with fluids, but the pads were replaced with probably 15% wear left since I had everything and it was pretty easy.

Big Mack
Old 04-22-10, 07:45 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

i thought the constant on/off of a car actually wasted gas...?
Used to be the case, but with today's modern EFI and electronic ignitions, it's actually better to turn the car off if it's going to idle for more than 1 minute. Now, I'm not sure how this applies to the 2GS, given that even the youngest ones are approaching 6 years old right now.

I do know that the electronic ignitions in the car are very similar to what is on the market today, so it may apply to us. For me, I'm not doing it. I have a remote start on my cars for a reason - I want my AC nice and cool before I get in!! Living where it is 117° is a little bit crazy, and I'm willing to run the car for a minute before I get in so I don't burn my *** when I sit down.

And yes, hypermilers can be incredibly annoying and dangerous. I saw one in a little crapmobile tailgating a semi. I'm sure he was impressed - until the truck called his buddy and they played with him. If you've not experienced this phenomenon, I don't suggest trying it. If they line themselves up just right, then put the car in between in the crosswind by misaligning the draft, it can pick a small car's front end up and bounce it around a bit. I have a friend who drove a mommyvan that did this. Imagine the look on his face when his pants went from tan to brown as the front end (and drivewheels) lost contact with the road. I don't know what it looked like, but I bet it was hilarious. I know he'll never tailgate a truck again.

Big Mack
Old 04-22-10, 09:16 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

hmmm i still wanna call shenanigans when i see gs430 owners post these #"s
i drove my car back from Atlanta at 2,400 rpm the WHOLE way just to see what my mileage was. i got back into Memphis at about 390 and the light had been on for like 40 mins or so. only stopped once and wasn't running the a/c, NO back seat,NO trunk interior, and on stock 16's and only got mid 24 mpg. i got new plugs, clean TB, clean air filter, fresh nitrogen, newly rotated tires.... with no interior in i was def lighter than most but STILL couldnt muster 25's although i got close so unless u drove ALL downhill i would have to see it.

On a vacation trip last year I avg over 28mpg, closer to 29mpg on the first tank which was 99% highway and I recorded the exact amounts of fuel and calculated it, I did not just estimate it. I basically wanted to see what the best realistic fuel economy I could get on the highway without resorting to driving really slow or shutting the car off when stopped so I over inflated the tires to about 37psi, did not use the AC, kept windows rolled up, used cruise control most of the way but when not using cruise I drifted downhill as much as I could, and kept speeds under 70 as much as I could. There was little traffic along the way. I had used a fuel injector cleaner about a month before the trip and have cleaned my throttle body and mass airflow before. I was pleasantly surprised but not shocked by over 28mpg. I avg around 26 mpg the rest of the trip. It is possible to get good mileage with cars that don't normally get great mileage on the highway by adjusting your driving habits and having the car in top running shape. In stop and go traffic my mileage drops significantly and that is where you know you have a v8 under the hood.

Last edited by UDel; 04-22-10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-22-10, 10:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TopRamen
MPG CHALLENGE RESULTS:

sakataj - 1 point

all challengers - 5 points

WINNER BY UNANIMOUS DECISION: NOBODY!

why am i even reading this d@mn thread.

i own a gs3, mpgs mean nothing to me. i don't even freakin' belong here.
lol

Originally Posted by steiner
There might be a chance everybody is right but some are not that accurate. It all depends on how you do the mpg calculation, to be specific how to measure the gallons input. My measurement was very exact (being an engineer) but it sounded like some people just estimated the gallons input therefore the result was off the chart. It does not take much error to arrive at 29 - 30 mpg.
i wasnt estimating, mine were exact #'s

Originally Posted by Big Mack
No, it's 430 - it's 372 from center to center (meaning downtown Hell-A to downtown Phoenix). I'm 30 miles from there, and I drove 30 miles the day before I left, so 372+60. I drive a 430, not a 300. I did have the AC on, but I was doing 110 mostly on the downhills, so there was some aid there. Either way, no shenanigans. I was floored by it myself, to be honest. I couldn't believe I cruised into the gas station right around the corner from my place and only had to put in that much fuel. I run 91 (it's the best we have out here, unfortunately), and at that point was getting my fuel from QuikTrip. I have since switched exclusively to CostCo, and have noticed no difference in performance even with a heavier wallet due to the savings.

Like Jewcano said, nothing to win here, just sharing the experience. In mixed city/highway driving, I average over 21 MPG. I try never to floor it, and do my best to coast to lights that are going to change up for me to green and do minimal braking whenever I can. I know the cars are only "supposed" to get 20-25K out of a set of pads, but I get much more because of my driving habits. My old car had a set that lasted 60K and I only changed them because I figured after owning the car for 6 years I should change them out . I had done the basic maintenance with fluids, but the pads were replaced with probably 15% wear left since I had everything and it was pretty easy.

Big Mack

mack i just dont see it possible to get that kinda mileage doign 110 with the ac on....ever.

Originally Posted by UDel
On a vacation trip last year I avg a over 28mpg, closer to 29mpg on the first tank which was 99% highway and I recorded the exact amounts of fuel and calculated it, I did not just estimate it. I basically wanted to see what the best realistic fuel economy I could get on the highway without resorting to driving really slow or shutting the car off when stopped so I over inflated the tires to about 37psi, did not use the AC, kept windows rolled up, used cruise control most of the way but when not using cruise I drifted downhill as much as I could, and kept speeds under 70 as much as I could. There was little traffic along the way. I had used a fuel injector cleaner about a month before the trip and have cleaned my throttle body and mass airflow before. I was pleasantly surprised but not shocked by over 28mpg. I avg around 26 mpg the rest of the trip. It is possible to get good mileage with cars that don't normally get great mileage on the highway by adjusting your driving habits and having the car in top running shape. In stop and go traffic my mileage drops significantly and that is where you know you have a v8 under the hood.
man i dunno what im doing wrong then if u guys getting close to the 30's.....

NOW my car is heavy as hell so i dunno what kinda mileage im gonna get
Old 04-22-10, 12:27 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I might want to try that MAF cleaner sometime and maybe TB cleaner see if that could yield me some better MPG. However, like they say, why fix what's not broken. I might risk breaking it thus nullifying the cleaning and any savings I'd have otherwise.
Old 04-22-10, 01:16 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

i got 23.5 with a supercharger + fully loaded car + AC on blast
Old 04-22-10, 09:07 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Mack i just dont see it possible to get that kinda mileage doign 110 with the ac on....ever.
Never said I was doing 110 the whole time, mang. I was only hitting that on the longer downhills, so maybe 20-30 minutes of pretty spirited driving, then settling down into the normal "let's just get there safe and drive 72" mode. In my day to day, the AC runs pretty much all the time, and on higher levels the warmer it gets. Still average over 21 MPG on the regular when I drive it (it's a weekend car now).

Big Mack
Old 04-23-10, 06:41 PM
steiner
Driver

Default 27.72 mpg

Just made another LA-PHX run with full AC on, drove normally @75 -85 mph and got 27.72 mpg. Pretty impressive.

Quick Reply: 26 mpg