GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

26 mpg

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-10, 08:36 PM
steiner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26 mpg

I recently picked up a 2001 GS300. the original sticker showed 23mpg highway, but after several trips to LA from PHX I consistently get 26+ mpg. Is this something normal or do I have a super good car?
Old 04-20-10, 08:38 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm assuming PHX stands for Phoenix, and if so, that's basically mostly on the highway yes? If so, that's about right, if not low I'd assume for the 300. On my 430, on my way back down to FL from SC, I got 26.5mpg. When you do 99% highway, you're going to max out mpg.
Old 04-20-10, 08:53 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea...sound about rite, rite now i avg 22-23mpg city.

on my recent trip to orlando, i avg about 25-26...not too bad
Old 04-20-10, 09:59 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I'm assuming PHX stands for Phoenix, and if so, that's basically mostly on the highway yes? If so, that's about right, if not low I'd assume for the 300. On my 430, on my way back down to FL from SC, I got 26.5mpg. When you do 99% highway, you're going to max out mpg.
hmmm i still wanna call shenanigans when i see gs430 owners post these #"s
i drove my car back from Atlanta at 2,400 rpm the WHOLE way just to see what my mileage was. i got back into Memphis at about 390 and the light had been on for like 40 mins or so. only stopped once and wasn't running the a/c, NO back seat,NO trunk interior, and on stock 16's and only got mid 24 mpg. i got new plugs, clean TB, clean air filter, fresh nitrogen, newly rotated tires.... with no interior in i was def lighter than most but STILL couldnt muster 25's although i got close so unless u drove ALL downhill i would have to see it.
Old 04-20-10, 10:08 PM
TopRamen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think we got an MPG CHALLENGE boys!
Old 04-20-10, 10:09 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by sakataj
i drove my car back from Atlanta at 2,400 rpm the WHOLE way just to see what my mileage was. i got back into Memphis at about 390 and the light had been on for like 40 mins or so. only stopped once and wasn't running the a/c, NO back seat,NO trunk interior, and on stock 16's and only got mid 24 mpg. i got new plugs, clean TB, clean air filter, fresh nitrogen, newly rotated tires.... with no interior in i was def lighter than most but STILL couldnt muster 25's although i got close so unless u drove ALL downhill i would have to see it.
Feel free to call shenanigans - I drove from LA to Chandler on one tank, and I had done about 30 miles the day before around the LA area. It's 372 from central to central, and that puts it around 430 total miles on less than one tank, and the idiot light didn't come on until I was just about home so I had 2 gallons left. I put in right around 16 gallons of gas, so figure about 27 MPG. Yes, part of that trip is down hill, but I made very similar mileage going there, so it was uphill. Also, coming back, I had a little fun since the road was wide open and did about 110 throughout most of the CA portion. AC on, full interior, just normal driving. I'm sure that if I wasn't enjoying the trip at that speed I could have probably gotten about 1 MPG more, but it was worth it.

Big Mack
Old 04-20-10, 10:18 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

I agree with Big Mack here. If you noticed the heated thread in the car chat, I say I go 65mph most of the time. Windows up on highway, and AC on ONLY if its hot. Fortunately at that time I didn't need the AC. We only stopped once at a rest stop. The rest of the time the car was driving from SC to FL, down 95 South. Fairly straight shot, minimal hills.

I calculated using simple math and pulled 26.5mpg.
Old 04-20-10, 10:32 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TopRamen
i think we got an MPG CHALLENGE boys!
lol

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Feel free to call shenanigans - I drove from LA to Chandler on one tank, and I had done about 30 miles the day before around the LA area. It's 372 from central to central, and that puts it around 430 total miles on less than one tank, and the idiot light didn't come on until I was just about home so I had 2 gallons left. I put in right around 16 gallons of gas, so figure about 27 MPG. Yes, part of that trip is down hill, but I made very similar mileage going there, so it was uphill. Also, coming back, I had a little fun since the road was wide open and did about 110 throughout most of the CA portion. AC on, full interior, just normal driving. I'm sure that if I wasn't enjoying the trip at that speed I could have probably gotten about 1 MPG more, but it was worth it.

Big Mack
wouldnt 372 + 30 make it 402 NOT 430?
i assume u in a gs300 anyways right mack?so u got 27 MPG AND u were doing 110 WITH the a/c on? shenanigans sir... i couldnt even muster that doing 65 with no ac and no weight in the car....except girl and i plus one small bag

I agree with Big Mack here. If you noticed the heated thread in the car chat, I say I go 65mph most of the time. Windows up on highway, and AC on ONLY if its hot. Fortunately at that time I didn't need the AC. We only stopped once at a rest stop. The rest of the time the car was driving from SC to FL, down 95 South. Fairly straight shot, minimal hills.

I calculated using simple math and pulled 26.5mpg.
i did do 65 mph (thats 2,200-2,400 RPM) ALL HIGHWAY EXCEPT one quick bathroom break at first gas station) with no ac on, stock rims and no rear interior...
your straight shot would have helped you but still cars only rated for what 24 MPG i know its possible to beat what the dealer says but IMHO 2 EXTRA mpg is crushing it....

Last edited by sakataj; 04-20-10 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 10:41 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

i did do 65 mph (thats 2,200-2,400 RPM) ALL HIGHWAY EXCEPT one quick bathroom break at first gas station) with no ac on, stock rims and no rear interior...
your straight shot would have helped you but still cars only rated for what 24 MPG i know its possible to beat what the dealer says but IMHO 2 EXTRA mpg is crushing it....
Bro you know I don't have any reason to lie about this. I don't win or anything. There's no prize for highest MPG. When I drove my Avalon to Georgia and back I pulled 29.5mpg out of it. Around here I would get 25.5mpg out of it. So I figured that since I got 26.5 from the GS, all highway, I would get around 21-23mpg here. Everytime I fill up, I check and I average 22ish, give or take. Last time was 22.XX and before was 22.5.

Btw, this car had ALL it's service done in Georgia for the most part. Erik showed me the Carfax and it had about 2 pages of services records. All maintained well.
Old 04-21-10, 12:04 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I believe the area of the gas you put in, the temperature also plays a role, and the way you cruise will all affect the MPG. That's what I think. For a GS430 it's 18 city -23 hwy, if you could get 24.. I think that's good enough.
Old 04-21-10, 03:00 AM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i definetly 26mpg is obtainable, i got about that driving to orlando in my gs430..

i honestly think on a long highway trip you could pull about 30 if you practiced a few practiced some hypermile tips..

I read about people with honda fits pull 45mpg out of there cars all the time hypermiling, those cars aren't rated that high at all..

in my 97 SC it comes stock with the Live MPG and average MPG .

you can't reset the average mpg and right now its sitting at 21.8 that's with just normal driving, my live mpg shows when i'm crusing on the interstate i'm getting anywhere from 32-35mpg.. so if i was on a long enough road trip and did whatever i could to save gas, i could probably pull high high 20's or mid 30's on a long trip.. keep in mind my car is turbo as well..

of course with any normal driving of a gs430 i'd expect 17 to 21mpg from most people..
Old 04-21-10, 03:54 AM
Rich23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta check this one out myself to believe this. But I believe that 18 in the city and 23 on the highway sounds about right for a 430...
Old 04-21-10, 07:35 AM
saurah
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steiner
I recently picked up a 2001 GS300. the original sticker showed 23mpg highway, but after several trips to LA from PHX I consistently get 26+ mpg. Is this something normal or do I have a super good car?

I'm averaging atleast 21mpg all most all city driving with a few boost pulls here and there. So all highway I'd expect to get atleast 25mpg. (that is IF I stay out of boost, not easy )

BTW, where exactly in AZ are you? You should make it out to one of the local meets. In fact, there will be a good one this Saturday

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sou...pril-24th.html
Old 04-21-10, 10:17 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Bro you know I don't have any reason to lie about this. I don't win or anything. There's no prize for highest MPG. When I drove my Avalon to Georgia and back I pulled 29.5mpg out of it. Around here I would get 25.5mpg out of it. So I figured that since I got 26.5 from the GS, all highway, I would get around 21-23mpg here. Everytime I fill up, I check and I average 22ish, give or take. Last time was 22.XX and before was 22.5.

Btw, this car had ALL it's service done in Georgia for the most part. Erik showed me the Carfax and it had about 2 pages of services records. All maintained well.
sorry, i guess my wording u assumed i was calling you a liar. im not...im more wondering what your doing differently than me. all my maint is up to date and as i said i couldnt muster the 25 mpg going 65 all highway with almost no interior. im def not believing mac did 27mpg going 110 with ac on (ESPECIALLY not if he has a V8....since i dont know anything bout the gs300 i guess its possible but i still dont think your gonna get 27mpg going that fast with the ac on)

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
I believe the area of the gas you put in, the temperature also plays a role, and the way you cruise will all affect the MPG. That's what I think. For a GS430 it's 18 city -23 hwy, if you could get 24.. I think that's good enough.
true...im happy with my mileage

Originally Posted by aka paco
i definetly 26mpg is obtainable, i got about that driving to orlando in my gs430..

i honestly think on a long highway trip you could pull about 30 if you practiced a few practiced some hypermile tips..
what are some hypermile tips? btw wth is a hypermile?

Originally Posted by Rich23
I gotta check this one out myself to believe this. But I believe that 18 in the city and 23 on the highway sounds about right for a 430...
it is and thats bout what i get. 16-18 city depending on foot and ac and 21-24 highway again depending on foot
Old 04-21-10, 10:24 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Hypermilers are those crazy folks who go the bare minimum speed on the highway, or turn their engines off when they stop at a stoplight, and do other things can is probably not good for the car, or the people around them.

Quick Reply: 26 mpg