GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My BIG Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-02, 08:36 AM
20inchgs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My BIG Problem

Well here is the deal I can not make up my mind. I want a GS but i dont know what model to get. I have 2 cars that I am looking at and I can't decide which one to get.

CAR ONE

98 GS400 black on black NAV 17s 28,000 miles-RMM intake-RMM exhaust-RMM Grill-RMM Torque conveter-RMM LSD-Ltuned suspension-RMM sway bars-RMM tower bars-Ltunes steering ECU-integrated lexus phone- I am looking to get the car for around 32,000 or so.

CAR 2

99 GS300 Blue on tan 24,000 miles all stock. price around 23,000

The dilemma is which one to get. The way I look at it is if I get the GS4 all I need is wheels and system and have a car that SCREWS and looks sweet, and now that I can put DVDs throught the NAV that saves me 2,000.

But I can get the GS3 which is the color I WANT! and hook that up with mods and have a lower payment which means more money to play with. But I see alot of peole who have GS3s and upgrade to a GS 4, why is that? Is it all about the horse power? Any opinions are welcome.
THANX!
Old 06-12-02, 08:45 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Why not keep looking?

Find a GS4 that you like and is still stock. Its like that old story how "it was my grandmothers car, she only drove it back and forth to church..." and then you see the blower coming through the hood and the racing slicks in the corner. LOL!!!

Yes, the GS4 you found is "hooked" and I'm sure that it was taken care of fairly well, but... If some has all that, it is for a reason.

The GS3 you looked at would be nice since it is the color you want, but it isn't as "torquey." It will still get up and run, but its not the same. On the other side though, if speed isn't real important, the GS3 would be a good choice $$wise. And it has a better chance of really being previously owned by that grandmother. You could alway switch the "GS300" badge with a "GS400" badge for a couple hundred if you wanted to. (I wouldn't do it, but I know a couple guys who have.)

Whatever you choose, at least you're keeping it "Lex."

Todd
Old 06-12-02, 08:51 AM
SpectraGS3
Driver

I had the blue/tan GS300 and sold it for a white GS400 1 year older with a few more miles and I'm very happy. Yes, I like the blue better but the GS400 is a lot more fun to drive and the power difference is huge. If you're not about the HP then get the GS300, put some external mods on it and turn some heads, but I wouldn't go spending money trying to mod out the engine or transmission on a GS300 when you can get a nicely modded GS400 for the same price as the GS300 would cost you with the same mods. In that case it would still have a lot less power than the GS400 stock unless you want to go with a turbo or super charger which I'm sure you don't since money is an issue.

Both the black and blue are hard colors to keep clean, the blue does show a bit less dirt and scratches but not a whole lot less, blue is a deep color and will show swirl marks a lot.

I'd go with the GS400 in your case and throw on some rims. 28k miles is great for a 98. I paid 32 for my 98 GS400 without any of those mod's a year ago with like 32k miles on it so that's a good deal. But if you're not looking for performance, get the GS300 and kit out the exterior, then spend the money you save on a vacation.
Old 06-12-02, 08:51 AM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default GS3

If you drive the GS300 you will find that it has more than enough HP for its weight/class and you can completely debadge the trunk lid and no one will ever know it isn't a V8.

The GS430 is strictly for the "boy racer" set, if you enjoy "digging out" at each and every stoplight/sign, then that's the car for you.

Every time someone wants to challenge you to drag/race just give them that smile of inner happeness and cruise on, drives them absolutely bonkers.
Old 06-12-02, 09:01 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: GS3

Originally posted by wwest
If you drive the GS300 you will find that it has more than enough HP for its weight/class and you can completely debadge the trunk lid and no one will ever know it isn't a V8.
Actually not really, many people know nowadays that most debadged cars are usually the lower ones. Not all of them but probably most.
Old 06-12-02, 09:12 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it me, or did we have this [b]identical[/b] discussion about a month ago?

"The GS430 is strictly for the "boy racer" set, if you enjoy "digging out" at each and every stoplight/sign, then that's the car for you. "

Oh yeah; I'm POSITIVE that is the demographic Lexus is chasing.
Old 06-12-02, 10:48 AM
20inchgs
Rookie

Default THANX

Thank you for all your opinions. I do not want to race the car I am selling my highly modded GSX, and I am done with the "race thing". But I also like a powerfull car. I am going to drive both of the cars and see which one I like more.

I am just someone who always gets the best when in reason I mean I have never had the lower model of any car I have owned so I am leary of starting now.

Is a modded GS4 like the one above a totally diffrent car perfromance wise than a GS3?

Also keep the opinins coming they are helping me make my decision
Old 06-12-02, 11:20 AM
LexusL
Rookie

from my point of view i would take the gs300 over the gs400 due to the fact you have 9k different over the gs400 and you can put alot of work into it with 9k TC/SC or so on........no one wants a already fix up car......there no fun it in. so get the gs300 for a DIY
Old 06-12-02, 12:27 PM
TIKTIK11
Driver

Default ????????????????

there should be no question between the 300 and 400. color? no way man.
Old 06-12-02, 03:52 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The GS430 is strictly for the "boy racer" set, if you enjoy "digging out" at each and every stoplight/sign, then that's the car for you.
Now, Willard, I'm 48. I don't light 'em up very often but admit to the occasional burst of red mist. But this raises the question: Who is the Porsche 996 C4S for?

Actually not really, many people know nowadays that most debadged cars are usually the lower ones. Not all of them but probably most.
Mine's one of the "not all of them". Makes it easier to wash and wax.

Actually, I'm with Rico. Keep looking. You'll find what you want sooner or later, just can't be in a hurry.

just mho.
Old 06-12-02, 04:57 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Default $23K for a 99

My only comment is where did you find a 99 with 24K miles for $23K. Damn I paid $5K more for a White 99 with 3K more miles. I feel a little ripped off here. I'm thinking that it has to do with the color and options on it. Not that there is anything wrong with the color, the blue is beautiful, I just prefer the White better.....

BTW, go with the GS300, save the $$$ for some exterior and interior mods, do it the way you want it. Plus the joy of doing it yourself will make you feel better.... Just my $.02

Later.....
Old 06-12-02, 05:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

If you like low end torque, get a GS400/430. Plus the 17s look a lot better than the 16s (you can't get 17s from Lexus on a GS300).

You don't have to be a 'boy racer' to appreciate the V8. Doesn't wwest have a Porsche 911? Does that make him a boy racer?
Old 06-12-02, 06:50 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

I would have said get the GS400 but since you have mentioned that it has the RMM intake then I would say go with the 300, like a few people here I think that the RMM intake actually slowed the car down, and in some cases caused knocking sounds out of the engine ( which is NOT good ) thus I wouldnt get it, another reason Im saying to go with the 300 is because the 400 is already modefied that means that the person who owned it before did race it ( because of the TC/LSD ) or else he just blew his money, but I think its the first one. Last its already has everything on it, now where is the fun in that, probably the best part of modding cars is seeing your car transform from stock into the car you made it
Old 06-12-02, 08:54 PM
bubbles69
Driver School Candidate

man get a old man lexus kills me why people take a lexus and soop them up by a race car not a lexus
Old 06-12-02, 09:24 PM
20inchgs
Rookie

I do not a want a race car, I don't want you guys to ge the wrong idea. I would like a more powerfull car if it is more fun to drive. To me the GS400 above is not all done up I mean it pretty much looks stock visually I will be putting on a small body kit and wheels which will set the car apart.

If I did get the GS300 I would not do any performance mods only a intake and exhaust and thats about it.

I just dont want to buy the GS3 and drive in a GS4 and wish I had bought the GS4 in the beginning and kick myself in a$$. Thanx for all your replys and keep them coming

Quick Reply: My BIG Problem