GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacing Headlights with HID solution?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 08:59 PM
GSMilli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Headlights with HID solution?? HELP

Alright guys, I am a official newb to the CL scene, but I have been into Lexus for sometime. I am picking up a 2000 GS300, but it does not have the stock HIDs. So for those whole have much more knowledge in this area, WHAT IS THE CHEAPEST, but quality solution to have my headlights give off a HID look. Is there any to just replace bulbs, I know usually this does not turn out right.... Does it look best to replace the DRLs too, and fog lamps. Please any opinions will help.

It is an everyday ride, and it doesn't need to be some show-quality setup, but I have had HIDs on my last few cars and feel lost without them.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-10, 09:06 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a HID conversion kit for HIDextra.com they're a sponsor on the forums. Just make sure you adjust your headlights down a bit after the install. You can get two kits one for the headlights and another for your fogs and they'll both match. As for the DRL they'll stay that light but you can get some white LED's for that little 194 series light blub when you turn your headlights on.
Old 04-27-10, 03:49 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ thats the easiest method & cheapest.

but after time on this forum, youll start seeing retrofits & you would wish you would have done that sooner! but that ranges from 600-1300 depending on equipement. Another option if you have about 200-300 bucks or so to spare. look at a local junk yard/FS thread for a gs with HID headlamps and use those. it creates a better cutoff beam than non-hids but you will lose the feature of auto leveling. I myself have a gs300 with aftermarket hid's, the light is brighter yes, but our cutoff looks like crap and lots of scattered light everywhere. next to my friends gs430 w/ HID lamps. the light is even on the ground and the cutoff is not superior to a projection lamp but still pretty straight for oem hid reflectors.
Old 04-27-10, 08:20 AM
LJGS300
Driver

I have to agree with Kevin- After 3 sets of Silverstars I was fed up... I ordered a 6k kit from HID Extra about 2 months ago and absoluty love it! Fast shipping and very simple to install. If you can replace your headlight bulbs, you can do this yourself. I plan on ordering a set for my fogs this week just can't decide on 3k or 6k...
Old 04-27-10, 01:27 PM
arnelabano
Rookie

Hi, contrats on your 2k gs3. I have the same and it had halogen. I switched to HIDs and have both HidExtra and DDMTuning HIds for low beam and fogs. If I had my choice I would have made it all DDM Tuning. HidExtra is big and bulky, while DDM Tuning is small. You will need to consider that when securing the ballasts. I had to mix it because I did not want to pay stocking fees. Anyway, when you said you wanted to convert your DRL's to HID....DON'T. I tried doing this with HidExtra and I got the part, installed it, but it disables your DRL and the only way it would work is if you flick the handle to turn on your Hibeams. I had numerous conversations with HidExtra and ended up sending the bulb for the lowbeams....then I found DDMTuning (www.ddmtuning.com). They are having a sale right now I believe. ($40). I am happy with thier kit....and the kits have a lifetime warranty.
I solved the DRL issues by installing LED bulbs from Vleds.com. It has a nice look...get compliments on it all the time. They are also bright and all you need is the bulb...at least for my car, the DRL module and wiring harness they want to sell you I did not need. Good Luck.