GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

What High Output Alternator do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 07:37 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by robertoyou
powerbastrads seems good, im looking for advice on their alts specifically for our gs's. on their description of the 220 alt for gs, it says its "universal" for any import or domestic. then it says some mods might be needed... which makes me wonder.
Its an import universal because of the 'pin style' mounting that apparently all imports have.
Old 05-04-10, 08:35 PM
2G300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been in the car audio business for 16 years now and have seen quite a few aftermarket hi-output alternators. I have to say the only one i haven't seen fail was Ohio Generator alternators. But like he said they re no longer around. All the other brands always seem to burn out or have some severe bearing issues after a year or so. Nowadays i usually tell my customers to get the stock alternator re-wound. It doesn't make a HUGE gain but usually you can get 30-80 extra amps out of them and still be reliable. But really you don't even need to do this. As long as you have a sufficient amount of battery power you dont need to upgrade. What are you looking to run?
Old 05-04-10, 09:03 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

I have been in the car audio business for the same amount as well and have to diagree with your last statement. If I had "sufficient' power (which I do) still need to have enough in the charging to keep up with it. All more batteries are gonna do is allow what ever is running to runn longer before the alternator needs to do its job, which means once the batteries get to that point, they will probably stay at that low point unless you allow it to charge with no load back to their full status. I'm running 3 1800amp batteries running 2 compressors and 2 1000watt amps and a 500watt. I really dont want to discuss my issues all over again, personally just looking for all my options. IMO, alternators fail due to abuse, so yes any and all can fail under those conditions.
Old 05-04-10, 11:30 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

what about Powerhouse Racing Alternator / street version from MVP has anyone tried this and is it worth the money
Old 05-04-10, 11:54 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSRSRT
what about Powerhouse Racing Alternator / street version from MVP has anyone tried this and is it worth the money
$700 for a 150amp alternator? Ouch, no way man. And I dont even think its made to handle loads. Im sure its great for its application, but not for what is needed here. I'd like to know more about its internals though, cause wow $700 bucks is pretty high thanks for the new info though, its priceless

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 05-05-10 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-05-10, 12:16 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

wow. seriously? so that means, iraggi isnt reliable either? idont want to pay 4 or 5 hundred for an alt if its going to only work for a year? wtf.so what options do we REALLY have then?

as for powerbastards, the alt seems good, i was just skeptical on the whole "universal" thing. i still am, but i understand what mr jokester is saying. still i think i would feel better if i heard feedback from someone on here who personally used the powerbastard and installed it.
Old 05-05-10, 02:13 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Well to be clear, its my belief that for the most part, 'things' fail due to abuse so i dont think failure should be that which makes you make a choice. Not sure if many know, but Iraggi has NOTHING to do with making alternators for the public and audio enthusiast. Hes contracted by the government to make this equipment for all the Humvee's in the army and all their other vehicles. Public use is just a very small part of his 'industry' thus the reason he doesnt really have a site to buy from. I mean, if the gov chooses to use them... must be pretty alright

I have one more shop, who I'm VERY close with, yet to talk to about who they decided to go with once Ohio Generator. This shop is ranked in the top 50 in the U.S. so I would think that they would make sure to carry good shtuff Iraggi was next in line for me for durability. Stinger, whos suppose to be top notch brand is notorious for alternator meltdown too I created this thread to see personal experience with the GS, but I guess not much input :/ That powerhouse racing alt looks promising due to using original Denso internals as opposed to 'custom' parts made by in house company. So I would assume that the $700 price tag is precedent, just sucks that you get so little out put, I think I'd rather swap the internals from a matching alternator of another model vehicle for a fraction of the cost.
Old 05-05-10, 10:48 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Well to be clear, its my belief that for the most part, 'things' fail due to abuse so i dont think failure should be that which makes you make a choice. Not sure if many know, but Iraggi has NOTHING to do with making alternators for the public and audio enthusiast. Hes contracted by the government to make this equipment for all the Humvee's in the army and all their other vehicles. Public use is just a very small part of his 'industry' thus the reason he doesnt really have a site to buy from. I mean, if the gov chooses to use them... must be pretty alright

I have one more shop, who I'm VERY close with, yet to talk to about who they decided to go with once Ohio Generator. This shop is ranked in the top 50 in the U.S. so I would think that they would make sure to carry good shtuff Iraggi was next in line for me for durability. Stinger, whos suppose to be top notch brand is notorious for alternator meltdown too I created this thread to see personal experience with the GS, but I guess not much input :/ That powerhouse racing alt looks promising due to using original Denso internals as opposed to 'custom' parts made by in house company. So I would assume that the $700 price tag is precedent, just sucks that you get so little out put, I think I'd rather swap the internals from a matching alternator of another model vehicle for a fraction of the cost.
good input. well let us knwo what you go with. ohio generator im guessing? il look into them, but for now my first choice is going to be iraggi i guess, 329 (plus shipping) seems decent for 220 alt. lets hear some more input, i would like to hear some more opinions/experience also
Old 05-05-10, 11:21 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Ohio Generator sold out a long time ago and the company that bought them ran the name to the ground... so no longer an option. I still need to gather info, however if you go with Iraggi, I recommend going with the amputator series, kind of a waste to get the dominator. Its gonna cost a buck fity more, but its more beneficial. I'm still waiting on the price for the DC, I missed the call back, so I need to call right now...
Old 05-05-10, 12:43 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

so that means, iraggi isnt reliable either?
says who? lol

il look into them, but for now my first choice is going to be iraggi i guess, 329 (plus shipping) seems decent for 220 alt.
im still waiting on my iraggi alternator....BUT i found out part of the reason im waiting

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...r-under-water/

if you go with Iraggi, I recommend going with the amputator series, kind of a waste to get the dominator. Its gonna cost a buck fity more, but its more beneficial.
mine was only 100 more...
Old 05-05-10, 02:20 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

Ohio Generator sold out a long time ago and the company that bought them ran the name to the ground... so no longer an option. I still need to gather info, however if you go with Iraggi, I recommend going with the amputator series, kind of a waste to get the dominator. Its gonna cost a buck fity more, but its more beneficial. I'm still waiting on the price for the DC, I missed the call back, so I need to call right now...
why is the dominator a waste?
Old 05-09-10, 02:08 PM
robertoyou
Advanced

any response on why dominator is a waste? before i go and actually buy it? lol

thanks
Old 05-09-10, 03:35 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

iirc, the dominator has to work much harder to put out what it does. Also believe it uses a smaller pulley to achieve what it states. The amputator is made to do what it does with passion! Probably why it has a longer warranty, cause they know its gonna last.