GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Front End Looks Like Cr@p!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-02, 05:49 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Fa-suto
Speaking of chips. Is there any good product out there on the market to clean the glass lights and I'm not talking about Windex but more for the minor scratches and chips? I even notice my fog lights are somewhat murkey in the inside but it looks like you can't take them apart to clean them without stripping the sealant around them.

Fa-Suto
For your windshield, try a product called "Bon Ami". Its a powder product, like Comet, or Ajax, but is non-scratching, and really cleans the absorbed residue in small pits and nics in the windshield quite a bit.

I did a quick write up HERE

HTH
Old 06-14-02, 06:20 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Fa-suto
Speaking of chips. Is there any good product out there on the market to clean the glass lights and I'm not talking about Windex but more for the minor scratches and chips? I even notice my fog lights are somewhat murkey in the inside but it looks like you can't take them apart to clean them without stripping the sealant around them.

Fa-Suto

Yeah there is a glass polish, I have it at home, can't recall the name of it though, if you want to kno the name let me know. It works wonders. on Glass, I used it on my windshield alot. It remoes minor scratches, and strips away any silicone or residue left on the windshield.
Old 06-14-02, 08:27 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Hey future can you find out the name to that polish, I think I want to polish up my windshield this weekend, it is starting to look a little hazy. Or even so, Dex where can I buy Bon Ami. I tried you like but I get an invalid url.

Thanks Guys.

mike
Old 06-14-02, 09:39 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re-paint

After owning my GS for three years, I decided to get the front end repainted last fall. Because my insurance covered the costs (for the front bumper, hood, and blending the front quarter panels), I decided to take it to a Lexus dealership, believing they would do the best job.

When I first got the car back, I was so excited. It looked brand new. But after two days, I noticed a fat chip in the bumper. Then another one appeared a few days later. It's been about nine months now, and my front bumper has a lot of noticable chips. This is upsetting b/c I baby this car. On any trip over 40 miles, I put on the factory bra. When I went and talked to the body shop manager, he just said that it's normal wear and tear.

My family owns a '95 S500 that has seen its fair share of miles. However, it has maybe one paint chip thats noticable. I love my GS, but am appalled at how easily the paint chips. I intend on getting the front repainted again in the near future. I'll probably go to another body shop, hoping they'll do a better job. If anyone in So. Cal has had their car repainted and the paint is withstanding chips, please let me know.
Old 06-14-02, 09:56 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by futuregs

Yeah there is a glass polish, I have it at home, can't recall the name of it though, if you want to kno the name let me know. It works wonders. on Glass, I used it on my windshield alot. It remoes minor scratches, and strips away any silicone or residue left on the windshield.
Futureregs,

Is that the same type of polish that they sell for eyeglasses or is it more industrialized for thicker glass? If you come across the name, let me know, I be interested. I think I'll be going to the local Walmart to pick up the Bon Ami to try out.

Fa-suto
Old 06-16-02, 02:11 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

on a black car, !? you might as well leave those chips on the bumper...

looks like a million stars in space........ a STAR SPECIAL paint.

LOL

yezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 07-07-02, 01:29 PM
bd6047
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Paint Chips

I've got an LX470 and have the same problem with chipping off the front bumper. I had a Denali and Jeep SUV before and never had the problem. Interestingly, when I had my '69 GTO I had same problem. Would have thought that technology would have improved over a 33 yr. period.
Old 07-07-02, 10:17 PM
dt21823
Driver

My GS also has an ever growing collection of rock chips. I've been contemplating getting a price quote for repainting the hood and front bumper. I'm assuming I'll pretty much have to go with OEM paint to get a color match. Is there anything that can be done with the clear coat to make it more durable like a particular brand, technique of applying it, etc?

Ray
Old 07-07-02, 11:25 PM
trevorbell
Driver School Candidate

I am also having this problem. What's with this paint? This is a $40k+ car, I would expect it to have more durable paint. Hell, my old Acura held up better over 4 years than this thing has in 6 months. Is everyone having this problem?
Old 07-07-02, 11:59 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

damn, i'm sorry to hear all your problems out there. i had my bumper, black of all colors, for 18 months and 25k on a 2001 and i don't think there was a single chip in it. that's all 70mph highway miles at that. the hood of metal and obviously another story, but my bumper was clean. so it is not a problem for everyone
Old 07-08-02, 12:30 AM
trevorbell
Driver School Candidate

As a footnote, I complained to the dealer a couple of months after I had the car (when this started happening) and their suggestion was a car bra. Ugh. I've also got this problem on my hood.
Old 07-08-02, 12:36 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Front End Looks Like Cr@p!!!

Originally posted by mcgong
I bought my car CPO last November, 99GS3, and I have driven it about 7,000 miles. I do mostly freeway driving on the 105/405. My front end looks like cr@p right now. The bumper looks like it has a million rock chips on it, and the paint looks like it is flaking off. It looks like the dealer tried to touch it up before, but didn't do a good job. It is like when you drive at night an get a million little nats stuck on you front bumper, but in this case it is a million like chips. Does anyone else have this problem? Should I take it to the dealer, will they do anything about it? I don't think this is normal wear and tear.
Not much you can do except get the bumper color sanded or repainted. The color sanding is a quick fix but will still show a lot of damage. You can refresh the bumper at many paint stores for $350.