GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

OEM Navi to OEM stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 06:27 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OEM Navi to OEM stereo install

Quick question, ive done the search but could only find info on OEM navi to aftermarket navi install.

but is it really just plug n play? all the wires and wire harness are the same pretty much?

thanx
Old 04-30-10, 08:43 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by SorrGwa
Quick question, ive done the search but could only find info on OEM navi to aftermarket navi install.

but is it really just plug n play? all the wires and wire harness are the same pretty much?

thanx

u havent done the search then as there are SEVERAL members who have replaced the 1998-2000 nav units with aftermarket nav units.

YES its PNP for the non nav climate control assy then just have to wire up the aftermarket radio, like any radio really
Old 04-30-10, 08:55 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by sakataj
u havent done the search then as there are SEVERAL members who have replaced the 1998-2000 nav units with aftermarket nav units.

YES its PNP for the non nav climate control assy then just have to wire up the aftermarket radio, like any radio really
Umm...he's trying to go from OEM to OEM, not OEM to aftermarket, mang. I searched and didn't find much on this myself. Take a deep breath, you're still kinda quick on the "DO A SEARCH!!!" button. Woosah, woosah.

thanx
Sorr, I don't think the wires are plug and play unless you're running the name brand (IE Levinson) that is non-navi, but I can't speak to it for certain.

Big Mack
Old 04-30-10, 09:00 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you want to go from oem nav to oem non-nav? Just curious but why?
Old 04-30-10, 09:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Umm...he's trying to go from OEM to OEM, not OEM to aftermarket, mang. I searched and didn't find much on this myself. Take a deep breath, you're still kinda quick on the "DO A SEARCH!!!" button. Woosah, woosah.
HAHAHA whoops u right mack....i stop reading alot when i see the same stuff over and over day in and day out lately.

my apologies OP
Old 04-30-10, 11:27 AM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you want to downgrade like that?
Old 04-30-10, 02:48 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unconfirmed because I don't think anyone has done that particular conversion. So far all we know is the AC control is plug and play. I don't believe anyone has bothered to find out if the stereo part is plug and play, but I highly doubt it because the nav harness has to carry extra signals to talk to the nav DVD drive in the trunk which the non nav stereo doesn't. You could probably find out which wires are what, then change the plugs though. It can work if YOU put the time into it then let us know what you did
Old 05-01-10, 07:55 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

thanx for the info guys. i was curious myself, but i guess ill let my audio installer handle it when the time comes.

the reason is more that my GS was totalled, and so while looking around for another GS, im also considering going for a 430. but most of the ones ive found have navi. i myself will probably remove it all and go aftermarket, but was more or less curious if the GS came with oem non navi, can go oem navi.
Old 05-01-10, 08:02 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

but was more or less curious if the GS came with oem non navi, can go oem navi.
is this not the opposite of what your title asks?
Old 05-01-10, 08:05 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Question

is this not the opposite of what your title asks?
I was thinking the exact same thing. Besides, in the statement above that, you're stating that you'll tear out the OEM and go aftermarket, so not sure what the point of the discussion even is at this moment.

Big Mack
Old 05-01-10, 08:10 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Mack
I was thinking the exact same thing. Besides, in the statement above that, you're stating that you'll tear out the OEM and go aftermarket, so not sure what the point of the discussion even is at this moment.

Big Mack
see, this is where i thought the conversation started mack. thats why i told him to search but now we covered both sides of this and im still confused....
Old 05-01-10, 08:33 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

see, this is where i thought the conversation started mack. thats why i told him to search but now we covered both sides of this and im still confused....
Well, he did start off with OEM to OEM, so that didn't really yield much in search, but if the game has changed, it will. Methinks this discussion is kinda over for the time being...

Big Mack
Old 05-01-10, 10:07 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

yeah, i didnt realize i meant to go the other way, oem non navi, to oem navi.

i have a friend that has the oem non navi, and thus if i do go back to all aftermarket, i need to know if he can get all my oem navi equipment.

im still dealing with quite a bit of pain from the tbone, my thought process isnt fully clear at the moment.

even with that being said and done, there wasnt a thread about going oem navi to oem stock, so thus this thread would have either way produced a positive addition to the search, no?

dont be so quick to be a **** and troll, and point out the search function, the search parameters are never perfect, and thus you would need to try different combinations of words and phrases to yield the answer someone is looking for.

Last edited by SorrGwa; 05-01-10 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-01-10, 04:32 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

even with that being said and done, there wasnt a thread about going oem navi to oem stock, so thus this thread would have either way produced a positive addition to the search, no?
Correct, and that's why I pointed it out to him that you were thinking that way.

dont be so quick to be a **** and troll, and point out the search function, the search parameters are never perfect, and thus you would need to try different combinations of words and phrases to yield the answer someone is looking for.
Really? Is that necessary? I pointed it out to him and he apologized. This type of thing just fans a flame that didn't need to be there. Perhaps you're right about being foggy from the T-bone, but the apology was in the 5th post and yesterday, mang. Take it easy.

Now to the question at hand, no idea. I would actually search on the OEM non-nav to OEM nav upgrade though, because I'm sure that has been done.

Big Mack
Old 05-03-10, 07:11 AM
SorrGwa
Racer

alright, then i apologize for not seeing the apology.

but saying anything is possible with the right equipment doesnt really help.

so from what ive seen, the navi uses a small cassette 1/2 dinn size deck below the screen for audio controls. i hope that the plugs in the back are relatively the same, since there is a dvd navi box that sits in the trunk, that means extra wires to fiddle with. does the oem navi use the same stock amp and wiring? ive been reading that ppl suggest doing direct wiring to the speakers. so if i transfer the whole navi system to a non navi GS, i probably will have to pull the dvd navi box wires from the trunk to the front as the non navi GS probably doesnt have prewire for this? ive also read of some optional mark levingston (or something) oem deck? i assume this uses the same wiring?

From what i remember going oem non-navi to aftermarket, the wiring kit from a camry wiring harness seemed to work.

i'll do more searching with different search criteria then, hopefully the right combo will yield the answers before tackling this.