GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Deleting side marker lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 11:35 AM
McDj18
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deleting side marker lights

Been thinking about deleting the side markers on the car and getting them filled in. If I do this, what kind of law problems am I going to run into? Would cops even care? Would they notice even if it looked stock?? How many people here have done it and what was your experience? Thanks
Old 04-30-10, 12:59 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

Should be no problem at all. It's gonna look alot cleaner too.
Old 04-30-10, 01:30 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by denut-L
Should be no problem at all. It's gonna look alot cleaner too.
yeah it would look alot cleaner but it is illegal (atleast here) and we all know cali has the **** police department when it comes to mods on cars...so i dunno if it would be worth it, ALTHOUGH they might not even notice it
Old 04-30-10, 01:42 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it and then clear bra the bumper!
Old 04-30-10, 02:04 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have annual safety checks here in Hawaii...those sidemarkers need to be orange...otherwise...no pass.
Old 04-30-10, 02:14 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

i am going to do this too. they will never know.
Old 04-30-10, 02:14 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
We have annual safety checks here in Hawaii...those sidemarkers need to be orange...otherwise...no pass.
but yours are clear?
Old 04-30-10, 02:16 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

clear with amber bulb... anyway another option is to rewire it to the turn signal... if you don't like the light output.

Deleting it would make it look cleaner.
Old 04-30-10, 02:52 PM
McDj18
Pole Position

Thanks guys! Anyone in Cali do this??? It going to look much cleaner...especially since i'm going to be molding the tte lip at the same time
Old 04-30-10, 03:50 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
clear with amber bulb... anyway another option is to rewire it to the turn signal... if you don't like the light output.

Deleting it would make it look cleaner.
Even that is illegal. The Federal Law states an amber reflector needs to be visible from the front and side of the car. For cars that have amber turn signals only visible from the front, they also have those side marker lights. Some cars have wrap around turn signals that are visible from the front and side thus no need for extra side marker/bumper lights. Clear turn signals with an amber bulb is still illegal since there is no amber reflector. The rear is the same, only it can be amber or red.

I would just get some clear ones and put an amber bulb, or amber LED bulb in there. Like PHML mentioned above, our yearly state safety inspection would not pass us, so I would just install the amber ones, then put the clear ones back on after I get my inspection. For those of you that can get away with it from the cops year around, go for it.

Just remember one thing. Technically the car is not legal for street use, so if a cop does see a clear signal, he can pull you over for probable cause, then fully check your car out and you may end up with even more tickets.
Old 04-30-10, 04:47 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Originally Posted by McDj18
Thanks guys! Anyone in Cali do this??? It going to look much cleaner...especially since i'm going to be molding the tte lip at the same time
damn you thats exactly what i am going to do. where are you located as we are both in so cal. who is doing the mold and paint? how much? i got a friend who is going to do mine for $500. could you supply me pics when done thanks dude
Old 04-30-10, 05:20 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Deleted and Molded!

I must admit that I would have never considered deleting my clear side markers if, Florida still had an inspection? I don't think it would even be noticeable to most, but you know your city officers better than we do? It does give the front end a cleaner look and I love it! The molded TTE lip and cleared side markers would look really nice in my opinion?

Go for it!
Old 04-30-10, 07:44 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

I wonder if there's a way you could hide the side marker behind the bumper. You can't see it during the day, but light would shine through at night. Wonder if this is possible...
Old 04-30-10, 08:55 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

No one will even notice. It looks so much better without it.
Old 04-30-10, 09:15 PM
McDj18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Do it and then clear bra the bumper!
What is that and would it work with a tte lip?

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
damn you thats exactly what i am going to do. where are you located as we are both in so cal. who is doing the mold and paint? how much? i got a friend who is going to do mine for $500. could you supply me pics when done thanks dude
Not sure who's gonna do it yet. Not sure how much it's gonna cost either, but I'll definitely take pics when it done. Probably within the next month or so. I'm also thinking of having them mold my jp replica wing to the trunk for the safer and cleaner look. Debating on this one. Ohh and I'm in Woodland Hills

Originally Posted by 1UZ-GS
I wonder if there's a way you could hide the side marker behind the bumper. You can't see it during the day, but light would shine through at night. Wonder if this is possible...
That's kind of a cool idea! Like it looks like its filled in, but it would light up on the inside. Or how about if the lights were recessed into the bumper so that they sat flush from an outside perspective. NOW were on to something! It would still be legal and still have that clean look. I like this idea and it's definitely possible. My car is black, so all I would really have to do is smoke the lights (which they already are) and then just rig it to sit further in. This could be a ClubLexus first!

Last edited by McDj18; 04-30-10 at 10:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Deleting side marker lights