GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Good inexpensive trailor/tow hitch for GS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10 | 01:52 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Default Good inexpensive trailor/tow hitch for GS

I'm looking for a cheap tow hitch that I can install rig to install and remove in a matter of a few minutes so when I park on the street I can quickly attach it and have a big hunky receiver hitch or giant ball hitch sticking out so I can prevent things like the picture below. If someone wants to keep hitting my car with the tow hitch on I want them to hit the hitch and damage their car and not my bumper. Serious. Every day its something new.

Old 05-01-10 | 01:56 AM
ar15guy
Rookie

Hell i'd get armed with a video camera and park where you would normally get the most damage and the next lucky sucker is gonna get stuck paying your repair costs!
Ouch that sucks.
At least your in Hawaii!!!! Which island btw if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-01-10 | 02:08 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ar15guy
Hell i'd get armed with a video camera and park where you would normally get the most damage and the next lucky sucker is gonna get stuck paying your repair costs!
Ouch that sucks.
At least your in Hawaii!!!! Which island btw if you don't mind me asking?
I'm on Oahu. In Ewa Beach right now. Got my new front lip, was going to get that painted, my JP Bonnet Spoiler, and my front grill painted and installed as well as redo my rear bumper, but now I'm afraid to do it since everyday there probably some new damage that will occur. I have to park on the street every night right now and people just don't care about other peoples cars.
Old 05-01-10 | 02:18 AM
ar15guy
Rookie

Yeah, especially the rentals, they're everywhere! That looks smacked really hard to penetrate the bumber like that. Usually you can see where someone's license plate would have hit it but that looks like it's from something else.
Old 05-01-10 | 07:30 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I suppose you could install one of these and secure a removable tow bar to it with a locking pin: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2005_Lexus_GS400.htm I doubt if doing that would help much.

Or plugging a cheap rigid bike rack into the hitch receiver - again securing it with a locking pin - would keep people away. My $50 bike rack plugged into my receiver hitch sticks out pretty far -- photo attached.

Or maybe try to find a more "defensive" parking space.
Attached Thumbnails Good inexpensive trailor/tow hitch for GS-bike-rack-side-view-low-res-2.jpg  
Old 05-01-10 | 08:08 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

forget the trailor hitch. get this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3b1IHIYBEA

that thing means business lol

whatever happened to this one too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

chris in all seriousness. u can get the u-haul style trailer hitch for a 100 or so. i sold mine on here for around that and it has a hitch to. bolts up to oem exhaust locations

Last edited by sakataj; 05-01-10 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-01-10 | 12:12 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
I suppose you could install one of these and secure a removable tow bar to it with a locking pin: http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2005_Lexus_GS400.htm I doubt if doing that would help much.

Or plugging a cheap rigid bike rack into the hitch receiver - again securing it with a locking pin - would keep people away. My $50 bike rack plugged into my receiver hitch sticks out pretty far -- photo attached.

Or maybe try to find a more "defensive" parking space.
That looks like something I might want to do (The Bike rack). If I get the bike rack I can actually get a bike later down the road and make it really usefull. Can't really find better parking since this in on the street where I live.
Old 05-02-10 | 04:22 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

chris, u live ewa now? street parking? wtf?
Old 05-02-10 | 01:33 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

That's wrong... where's the Aloha Spirit?... hehe
Old 05-02-10 | 01:45 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PHML
chris, u live ewa now? street parking? wtf?
Yea Pete. Living with my brother in Gentry for now until I can recover from my divorce and get a new place for me and Tyler. It does suck though since my rear bumper didn't need any work before. I thought I would just have to repaint my front end when I got the new lip, but now I have to repair the rear bumper too. Not too mention getting more dings. Also got two dings on my roof from something falling out of a tree. It just never ends huh. The more I spend fixing up this car cosmetically, the more crap happens to it.
Old 05-02-10 | 01:48 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VIP-209
That's wrong... where's the Aloha Spirit?... hehe
Aloha spirit is generally alive and well, but it all goes out the window when your looking for street parking in your neighborhood when there are 2X as many cars as parking available, and in morning/afternoon traffic. After that the guy who ran you off the road will invite you to a nice BBQ at his house
Old 05-02-10 | 01:57 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Why not get something like this, looks quick and easy to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Bully-U...=pd_sim_auto_3
Old 05-02-10 | 02:08 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jherb350
Why not get something like this, looks quick and easy to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Bully-U...=pd_sim_auto_3
Hmm, that bumper guard looks pretty interesting. Might get the job done. However, I'm still liking the idea of some big metal protrusion so the offender will get his own front bumper torn up. IMHO, there has to be a penalty for banging other peoples cars. I kind of wish I had Saturn's plastic doors too now. I picked up at least 3 little door dings where I never had them before. Those cold be from anywhere though.
Old 05-08-10 | 05:48 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

^^^

Wow...that thing is kind of big and looks bad. Lol...
Old 05-19-10 | 01:40 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

will pepboys have it?

free install... let us know if you find something.

http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials...f_all_hitches/

Quick Reply: Good inexpensive trailor/tow hitch for GS