GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Full Chrome Grille or Just Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-10, 09:04 AM
V8RdnLow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think full chrome looks good
Old 05-05-10, 01:10 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by iloveGS4xx
heres my full chrome bought it from Lextasy 2yrs ago!!!
lol,i think then all he did was get a 2001 grill and did the DIY chrome to it...isnt that what lextasy does to them? i bet u paid like 300 bucks for it?

Last edited by sakataj; 05-05-10 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-05-10, 02:25 PM
TopRamen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the chrome inserts will suffice for the price, they look good , not as clean, but if you really want a cleaner look and have the cash go with the full chrome.
Old 05-05-10, 04:44 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have the Chrome inserts but they broke down and looked bad so I took them off. I am doing the full chrome DIY right now.
Old 05-05-10, 06:40 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

So we got most of the black paint off but we kept scrubbing for a while to try and get it clean. The only problem is the Paint Stripper (Klean Strip) started to dry and clump up. So there are a bunch of clumps that we could not remove. I guess we will try and get those along with the remaining paint tomorrow.
Old 05-05-10, 06:44 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That happened to me, too...just add more stripper to re-liquefy everything.
Old 05-05-10, 07:56 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Yeah, I guess going to buy another bottle of Klean Strip and go at it again tomorrow. Hopefully that will finish it off. It actually doesn't look bad from a distance, but up close there is a ton of gunk built up around every fin.
Old 05-06-10, 10:56 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's mine with the front of the fins chromed, I'll link it here since the pic is huge and don't want to screw up the margins. https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...06&ppuser=4957
Old 05-06-10, 01:38 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

all chrome looks too much like the ebay grills...yuk!!
Old 05-06-10, 03:56 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

I worked on getting rid of the gunk today but the Klean Strip is starting to eat some of the chrome off the back of the grill where it is stuck. The grill looks pretty good from 5 feet away but any closer and you can see all the left over Klean Strip that is being a pain to get off. My dad is having me wait to get the rest of the Klean Strip Residue off for about a week so hopefully the chrome will harden back up and not peel. Otherwise I might just buy a new grill if taking off the Klean Strip takes off the Chrome as well.

I've been looking at full chrome grills and I managed to find This and This. Idk if I'm even going to have to replace the grill yet, but I was wondering if any one had any experience with that second link. All the OEM grills online cost a ton (about $150) for whatever reason, and that one is only $80 and is chromed already.

Last edited by lexusben; 05-06-10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-07-10, 01:48 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PHML
all chrome looks too much like the ebay grills...yuk!!
That's why I had to upgrade to the 10th Anni Black Chrome Grille.

Originally Posted by lexusben
I worked on getting rid of the gunk today but the Klean Strip is starting to eat some of the chrome off the back of the grill where it is stuck. The grill looks pretty good from 5 feet away but any closer and you can see all the left over Klean Strip that is being a pain to get off. My dad is having me wait to get the rest of the Klean Strip Residue off for about a week so hopefully the chrome will harden back up and not peel. Otherwise I might just buy a new grill if taking off the Klean Strip takes off the Chrome as well.

I've been looking at full chrome grills and I managed to find This and This. Idk if I'm even going to have to replace the grill yet, but I was wondering if any one had any experience with that second link. All the OEM grills online cost a ton (about $150) for whatever reason, and that one is only $80 and is chromed already.
I was gonna warn you guys about this. You CANNOT leave Klean Strip on for more than a couple minutes at a time. This stuff is HIGHLY corrosive and will eat right through the plastic grille. You need to wear dishwashing gloves and eye protection and be fully clothed when you DIY. The best way to DIY is to do the grille 20% at a time. Do 20% thoroughly, wash off the Klean Strip, and do the next 20% until its done.
Old 05-07-10, 03:45 AM
kevon54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude iloveGS4xx,
Those pics were taken in Portland Oregon?
Looks beautiful there.
Who would have thunk it.
Old 05-07-10, 01:01 PM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PushinLEX

I was gonna warn you guys about this. You CANNOT leave Klean Strip on for more than a couple minutes at a time. This stuff is HIGHLY corrosive and will eat right through the plastic grille. You need to wear dishwashing gloves and eye protection and be fully clothed when you DIY. The best way to DIY is to do the grille 20% at a time. Do 20% thoroughly, wash off the Klean Strip, and do the next 20% until its done.
Yeah I wish I would have known earlier I got some of the Klean Strip on my skin and it burnt like hell. I had to wash it off quick.
Old 05-10-10, 08:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusben
Yeah I wish I would have known earlier I got some of the Klean Strip on my skin and it burnt like hell. I had to wash it off quick.
read the warning labels next time....it tells u bout no skin contact
Old 05-10-10, 11:27 AM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PushinLEX

true that. those regular mechanic rubber glvoes will get eaten through and wear a long sleeve. I didnt and boy did it burnnn

Quick Reply: Full Chrome Grille or Just Tips?