GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New Colgan Sports Bra

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-02, 08:03 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Colgan Sports Bra

Just got it in the mail today ... finally. The guys at UPS are some lazy @$$es. I was home every single day they left a note and said I wasn't here. Oh well. I finally got it and now I can friggin drive on the interstate without those damn rock chips eatin' away at my paint.

I'm gonna take pics in about 10 minutes. It fits perfectly.
Old 06-18-02, 08:29 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Got it as a birthday present from my brother.
Attached Thumbnails New Colgan Sports Bra-06182002-colgan-1.jpg  
Old 06-18-02, 08:29 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

.. another
Attached Thumbnails New Colgan Sports Bra-06182002-colgan-2.jpg  
Old 06-18-02, 08:30 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

... it's a colgan
Attached Thumbnails New Colgan Sports Bra-06182002-colgan-3.jpg  
Old 06-18-02, 08:57 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey what are those two rolls for?? theyre on every car bra. does it keep it from flapping or something?
Old 06-18-02, 08:59 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

It's actually a long plastic pyramid/triangle thing under there that you can take out. It's used to deflect wind -- oh and to deflect bugs from hitting your windshield.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong
Old 06-18-02, 09:13 AM
mr.gs
Driver School Candidate

has anyone here seen those new things you can buy, they're somewhat like a bra but it's clear plastic and it is suck right on to the fron of the car. My friend has it on his me sl500 and you can barely tell there is anything there.
Old 06-18-02, 09:14 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

I have always been told that the bras end up messing up the paint underneath. My parents used to have one on their Camry, and when we took it off (this was after some time) you can tell the difference in the paint.

It was a darker color car, and usually, effects of paint or clearcoat damage is more noticeable.

I am assuming that if you keep it clean, you shouldn't have a problem, but just something to think about.

Old 06-18-02, 09:18 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Yeah, I know about the supposed paint problem. I only use the bra for interstate driving. That's when it works. City driving ain't nothing but water puddles and dead squirrels.

Mr. GS -- That's called XPel from 3M.
Old 06-18-02, 10:00 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice bra dude!!
Old 06-18-02, 11:42 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

brendanlim - The stand up triangles are deflectors to keep the bra down on the hood. Doesn't have anything to do with keeping bugs off the windshield. That's the big reason why I like the Lexus bra, it just has a small stiff ridge spoiled to do the same thing. Don't pull them out because if the bra starts flapping, it is not a good thing.

apo718 - A bra can have a problem with paint but only if you are the kind of person who should not have one. The car and the bra have to be clean to begin with and if it rains, the bra needs to come off. I have used them for over twenty years and never had a problem with paint. That includes having cars detailed by a guy who did concours quality cars and recommended them to me in the first place for my bimmer at that time. If they sound like too much work, then I'd try the Expel stuff but no one yet has said there might not be some coloration difference with it once you remove it if it has been on for a long time. Adhesives sometimes don't like UV exposure that cars get quite a bit of.
Old 06-18-02, 11:45 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

RON430 -- Thanks for clearing that up for me. I've always thought it had to do with deflecting wind, but that makes sense now. I've never seen pics of the actual LEXUS bras. Do you happen to have any?
Old 06-18-02, 11:48 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

You know, for being supposedly computer literate, the one thing I have never done is uploaded pictures. I have a camera and after having gotten a few things off our plate here at work, maybe I'll give it a try taking pictures of mine. The only thing I am worried about is with a dark blue GS and a black bra, the picture may not come out very well. I'll give it a try.
Old 06-18-02, 01:22 PM
diamondgs4
Driver

Exclamation Wish it is a white one !

Its a nice bra which cover more hood area than the factory accessory.

I wonder there has a white color material bra avaialable from the after market ?

Has anyone notice that all bra on the market are in black !
Old 06-18-02, 01:24 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Lexus bra should essentially look just like your Colgan. Had one for the SC300 (used to do lots of highway) and it worked well.

I second RON on how to care for the paint with one. It does tend to collect dust and crap right under the trailing edge on the hood, so I removed mine frequently to clean the car AND vacuum the underside and esp the edge of the bra.

Sold my SC with 93k miles, over 60k on highway with bra in place. No little scratch/abrasion lines crossing the hood, but again, ONLY because I was careful and diligent in keeping both car and bra clean.

BTW, the UPS guys can't leave package if you aren't there unless you sign the little thing saying "Leave it anyway." Which is on the slip that says "You weren't here."

Last edited by mooretorque; 06-18-02 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: New Colgan Sports Bra