GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HELP: PS, Alt, A/C issues!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-10, 05:52 AM
jc8587
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: PS, Alt, A/C issues!

Hello,

I have a 98 GS300 and need help diagnosing an issue.

It all started when I lost the A/C one day. Probably due to the compressor locking up because of low A/C coolent pressure. The serpantine belt started sqeeling and such so I turned the A/C off. Drove around for a while and then noticed that if I turned the wheels while sitting still the serpantine belt would lock up, my "battery light" would come on because the alternator would stop rotating, and the power steering would go dead! Then, even while driving, the power steering would lock up and it became dangerous. This Lexus is not like my Subaru where you can run without power steering, and it will eventually wear out the alternator and PS pump if the belt keeps slipping.

Now I know these are all due to the belt locking up/slipping or a pulley causing this, so I went to the store and bought a new belt, thinking it would help the slip, and installed it. Get in the car, start her up, and turn the wheel but AGAIN the belt locks up under power steering pressure. I have the A/C turned off so that pulley is spinning freely, the alternator spins easily as far as I know, but something is still locking up the serpantine belt.

I have another car to drive, but I really want to solve this problem!

Possibly the tensioner?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 05-20-10, 06:55 AM
jc8587
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GeeYesJay
Did you check your power steering fluid? If its only happening when you turn its the power steering pump; sounds like the pump is shot and it went out due to your AC compressor taking a **** on you.

Good news is that you can get an alternator for about $150; compressor for about $400; goodyear gatorback serpentine $35; power steering pump $150-ish. All of these are refurb but they're good as new.

LMk if you have questions; pm me.
I checked the PS fluid, its pretty black, but there none the less.

Just because the A/C compresssor locked doesn't mean the compressor itself is dead. Could be a leak in the A/C lines.

Are there any methods to diagnose problems with the PS?
Old 05-20-10, 09:27 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a friend to turn the steering wheel and cycle the ac compressor while you are looking in the engine bay. Turning the steering wheel puts a load on the PS pump. Which ever unit is causing the belt to seize is the one that is shot. It should be visually obvious which pulley seizes the belt. Try that and report back.
Old 05-20-10, 09:56 AM
jc8587
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Get a friend to turn the steering wheel and cycle the ac compressor while you are looking in the engine bay. Turning the steering wheel puts a load on the PS pump. Which ever unit is causing the belt to seize is the one that is shot. It should be visually obvious which pulley seizes the belt. Try that and report back.
Will do, thanks.
Old 05-21-10, 10:03 AM
jc8587
Driver School Candidate

I have it narrowed down to the A/C or PS pump. Both seem to the slow the belt down regardles of whether one is on, one is off, or both are on.

I also found that the crank pulley wobbles a little at idle, then is fine under load.
(God I hope its not crank walk!)
Old 05-24-10, 11:33 AM
jc8587
Driver School Candidate

So I drove it around the other day.

15 miles into my drive the battery indicator light came on and my alternator cut out completely. I'll be testing the alterator soon.

Also, I have read that the crank pulley wobble may be due to the rubber interior of the pulley between the two metal rings.