GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Everything stopped working after rain :(((

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 02:49 PM
tualatin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Everything stopped working after rain :(((

Hello, first off sorry for my english. Yesterday I was driving my Lexus GS300'98 through the rain when suddenly I saw abs vsc and vscoff lights comes on. Then I sniffed smell of burnt. I stopped, opened the hood, everything seemed normal. But after this everything electrical stopped working or worked not properly. Airbag light is on, fuel empty light is blinking, temperature gauge of engine is not working, telescopic drivewheel don't move after inserting key, washer and wiper always working (stopped after removing fuse ), mirrors can't be controlled, instrument panel is too bright, fans don't work, a/c don't work, can't control other windows from drivers side... I checked abs sensor of left front wheel it is normal (diagnosis based on Tc1-E1 contacts). It is some kind of short circuit? I'm very disappointed. Don't know what to do ((( Please help!
Old 05-22-10, 02:57 PM
ar15guy
Rookie

Sorry for your bad luck. I hate to state the obvious but have you checked all your fuses. Usually when something shorts it will cause a fuse to blow. This is where I would start.
Next check if there is any noticeable smell that you can trace. Short of that sounds like your experience may be long and drawn out with this nightmare!
Old 05-22-10, 09:03 PM
zrzsky
Rookie

check your battery. maybe you need to change a new battery.
Old 05-22-10, 10:41 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

reset ECU...hopefully that will help.
Old 05-22-10, 11:44 PM
tualatin
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for your bad luck. I hate to state the obvious but have you checked all your fuses. Usually when something shorts it will cause a fuse to blow. This is where I would start.
Next check if there is any noticeable smell that you can trace. Short of that sounds like your experience may be long and drawn out with this nightmare!
I checked most of fuses. They are not blown.
That smell was only one time. I can't trace it now.

check your battery. maybe you need to change a new battery.
Battery is good. I disconnected battery several times. Maybe I should change positive terminal. It is old.

reset ECU...hopefully that will help.
Disconnecting battery is equal to reset ECU?
Old 05-23-10, 12:09 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Take some pictures of the batter terminal. What do you mean by old? Did you get your battery tested?

When did you notice that everything stopped working? Was it an hour later, next day?
Old 05-23-10, 05:07 AM
jeepandlex
Driver

Isn't there a main fuse terminal under the hood? check there. That thing controls alot and most of the major functions in the vehicle.....a relay could have gone bad...pull the fuses and relay and ohm them out with a volt meter......I remember losing the parking lamps and put in a fuse that was already blown....it looked good, but it was blown...after pullin' my hair out for an hour, I found it.
Old 05-23-10, 10:09 AM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Stop driving with the hood up in the rain....
Old 05-23-10, 11:47 AM
tualatin
Driver School Candidate

Take some pictures of the batter terminal. What do you mean by old? Did you get your battery tested?

When did you notice that everything stopped working? Was it an hour later, next day?
Battery terminal was really bad. I replaced it today. Yep it was really bad, but it wasn't reason of all this misfortune.
Attached Thumbnails Everything stopped working after rain :(((-20100523_001.jpg   Everything stopped working after rain :(((-20100523_003.jpg  
Old 05-23-10, 11:54 AM
tualatin
Driver School Candidate

Diagnosting pointed to left front abs sensor. ABS sensor was all right, so then I decided to check resitance of the wires coming under the fender, it was 0 ohms!!! Under inner fender shield I saw burnt wires which were causing all this problems ((
Now I don't know what to do... Is toyota dealers selling wires??? Or I'll try to find parting out GS. I think soldering of this wires is too complicated
Attached Thumbnails Everything stopped working after rain :(((-20100523_005.jpg   Everything stopped working after rain :(((-20100523_011.jpg  
Old 05-23-10, 11:55 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Well, if it was that bad, the battery could be dead too or needs to be recharged. Your alternator could be done for also.

If you replace the battery or if it starts and run on battery only, then your alternator could be done for. You'll know it when you can only drive for so long and it dies again or battery is fully discharged once more.

I don't recall all the lights coming on when a battery dies, maybe you are just describing the initial sequence where you put the keys in the ignition, turn it on, then all lights on dash comes on....when you crank, it all goes away. So I guess your car wont crank.

Check the battery first... it has to be charged enough to kick the starter.
Old 05-23-10, 11:57 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Oh my! what caused that to burn... Even if you replace the wire, something is causing it to short. You have to figure that out first. The good thing is, those wires should be color coded. Check the junk yard.
Old 05-23-10, 12:00 PM
tualatin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sam430
Oh my! what caused that to burn... Even if you replace the wire, something is causing it to short. You have to figure that out first.
The wires were too old. Maybe water was just causing short circuit
Don't know.......
Old 05-23-10, 12:05 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

are you going to try to rewire them yourself? They are color coded right?... should call the junk yard.
Old 05-23-10, 12:17 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Almost looks like the tire is rubbing against the wire . . .

Quick Reply: Everything stopped working after rain :(((