GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Removing painted on pinstripe from your GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-02, 03:30 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure guys no problem....

LOL I didn't realize so many people would find thisuseful, I removed my pinstripe like 6 weeks ago and I was bored and figured I'd let you all know. lol
Old 06-20-02, 04:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh, that.... umm... is it on all gs from 98-02? i havent' looked at my car in detail but i don't recall seeing any pinstripe on my 98 gs4? my car is blue, what color would the pinstripe be?
Old 06-20-02, 05:38 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would caution all people that want to try this that if your paint is in less than stellar condition....paint does discolor over time....that you may expose a different shade of your paint when you remove pinstripe. IMO that will make the car look even worse.

Thank God i have no pinstripe. If your paint is in excellent condition, I say go for it!
Old 06-20-02, 07:56 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS4fun
I would caution all people that want to try this that if your paint is in less than stellar condition....paint does discolor over time....that you may expose a different shade of your paint when you remove pinstripe. IMO that will make the car look even worse.

Thank God i have no pinstripe. If your paint is in excellent condition, I say go for it!

I highly doubt it will ruin your paint provided you have a clearcoat. There has been a huge debate here regarding if white/black has clearcoat from 98-present.

Yes both colors do. And if you are scared test a minor area first. And when finished wash and wax your car, it'll look brand new.
Old 06-20-02, 08:18 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
oh, that.... umm... is it on all gs from 98-02? i havent' looked at my car in detail but i don't recall seeing any pinstripe on my 98 gs4? my car is blue, what color would the pinstripe be?
No, all GS do not have them. If you had one on your car it would be noticeably visible...even without looking at your car in "detail".
Old 06-20-02, 08:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by GunnerMac

No, all GS do not have them. If you had one on your car it would be noticeably visible...even without looking at your car in "detail".
oh that's good to hear, thanks. pinstrip is not my taste at all, that's why i was worried
Old 06-21-02, 01:31 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

future,

gs4fun was just stating that someone's paint might be discolored over time, not that it would ruin the paint.

you're saying the blacks have clearcoat? i have a 2001 black and was adamantly believing from what i read here that i do not have a clear coat, and touching my paint sure gives no feel of clearcoat. please clarify for me
Old 06-21-02, 06:50 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bravo261
future,

gs4fun was just stating that someone's paint might be discolored over time, not that it would ruin the paint.

you're saying the blacks have clearcoat? i have a 2001 black and was adamantly believing from what i read here that i do not have a clear coat, and touching my paint sure gives no feel of clearcoat. please clarify for me
well if you don't think you have a clearcoat, put a little laquer thinner, on the paint in an obsolete area and see wut happens.

I know gs4fun was just stating that, i wasn't yellin or anything. gs4fun is my man! (not like that)
Old 06-21-02, 08:09 AM
Harrier
Pole Position

Default RE: pinstripe

Isn't this here pinstripe a dealer-only "option"? I understand that it's something that the dealer offers in order to bulk up the bottom line a bit more. It's definitely not a factory option, nor is it a feature that gets placed on every vehicle that Lexus pumps out. Dealers usually try to dump this on unsuspecting customers along with 'rust-proofing' or 'clear-coating'. This is one reason why you don't go into a dealership and say "I want one fully loaded" anymore. That's the magic phrase for them to dump the most useless "options" just to inflate the price.

-Jon
Old 06-21-02, 08:20 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Default Re: RE: pinstripe

Originally posted by Harrier
Isn't this here pinstripe a dealer-only "option"? I understand that it's something that the dealer offers in order to bulk up the bottom line a bit more. It's definitely not a factory option, nor is it a feature that gets placed on every vehicle that Lexus pumps out. Dealers usually try to dump this on unsuspecting customers along with 'rust-proofing' or 'clear-coating'. This is one reason why you don't go into a dealership and say "I want one fully loaded" anymore. That's the magic phrase for them to dump the most useless "options" just to inflate the price.

-Jon

yes the airbrushes pinstripe CAN be a dealer option, however other businesses do offer it,
Old 06-21-02, 09:07 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GS4fun

GS4Fun, I know what you mean......my car is the same color as yours...the Cinnabar Pearl. I want to remove the pinstrip as well, but the thing I was most worried about is the mismatch of colors. My paint is in excellent condition, but you are right, it does discolor overtime, especially in the Florida heat here.

Just for reference, if I do decide to do it, what Laquer remover did you guys use from home depot. Can someone post some pics?

thanks
Old 06-21-02, 12:16 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mine's painted too. i think it looks tite. it's black, grey, and white in very thin lines. u guys gotta see it!
Old 06-21-02, 12:49 PM
fever
Lead Lap

With silver, it looks slick. BTW, mine is deep navy up top and silver just below with a nice blend in up front and in the rear. It really helps the silhouette imo.
Old 06-21-02, 02:57 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ap0718

GS4Fun, I know what you mean......my car is the same color as yours...the Cinnabar Pearl. I want to remove the pinstrip as well, but the thing I was most worried about is the mismatch of colors. My paint is in excellent condition, but you are right, it does discolor overtime, especially in the Florida heat here.

Just for reference, if I do decide to do it, what Laquer remover did you guys use from home depot. Can someone post some pics?

thanks
just to let you know my car is in the heat all year round as well, FL in winter, NY in summer. Mineis pearl white and not one problem yet since i removed pinstripe.

I'll get u the name of it later as it's downsatirs and im getting ready for my date!! =]
Old 04-01-03, 10:21 AM
ladiesman
Driver School Candidate

The lacquer thinner removed my pinstripe and did not affect the clearcoat, it worked great, BUT wear rubber gloves, I got the lacquer thinner on my hands and it completely dried them out badly! It is very TOXIC stuff, don't breathe the fumes either!

Quick Reply: Removing painted on pinstripe from your GS