GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Removing painted on pinstripe from your GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-03, 06:30 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Be careful fellas....

I copy/pasted this thread from the Autopia detailing forum , it's about the Lanka touch up product generally , but these few posts specifically center on the use of lacquer thinner on automotive paint and one of it's main ingredients-xylene, which can and does damage some clearcoats. Bad thing is, it doesn't happen right away, but can crack/check it over time.

I wanted to tell you this, as it's something I've known about for a while being a pro detailer, but I wasn't sure anyone would take me seriously since some of you have found no damage from using it. I feel it would be wrong to look the other way on this , and wanted to inform you, not to scare you. Hopefully, you guys that did already will be allright a year from now. But if you start to see tiny cracking/checking in a few months...

The good news is some cleacoats suffer less than others from it, so maybe Lexus paint will be ok. Don't worry about it till you have to I guess. Cheers....and, don't shoot the messenger!

FROM AUTOPIA.COM:

Lacquer thinner will attack all automotive paint some faster than outhers so be careful.

Carguy are you going to paint the hole hood or just the pits?

If the pits are not to deep they can be removed by compounding them out with a rotary than a pollish. If they are deep the only way to remove them would be to wet sand the hood then compound it, but that may remove to much clear coat.

06-05-2002 04:27 AM IP: Logged

ShowroomLincoln
Super Moderator

Andre' is right, don't use Lacquer Thinner. Many of the Lacquer Thinners contain xylene which will crack and "check" the film build. Even one application of this can cause clearcoat failure down the road.

06-05-2002 02:35 PM IP: Logged

Contributing Member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ShowroomLincoln
Andre' is right, don't use Lacquer Thinner. Many of the Lacquer Thinners contain xylene which will crack and "check" the film build. Even one application of this can cause clearcoat failure down the road.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear.....

I guess I'll find out won't I?

Silver 1992 Nissan Maxima 4DSC - 2xAIO, 6xSG, #26, S100... awaiting the sweet scent of spring...
The Definitive PC Accessorizing Thread The Relative Abrasiveness of 3M stuff thread

VetteHead
Enthusiast Detailer

Lacquer thinner and rubbing alcohol will mix, so if your concerned that the thinner is too strong, mix it about 1/2 and 1/2 with rubbing alcohol. Used to do this years ago for modeling..

The Langka/Mothers products are far more than lacquer thinner. Use lacquer thinner at your own risk since damage may occur.

The $30 price mentioned for our Paint Chip product was in Canadian $, which are different than American $. Seems like average (US) retail is about $15-16 if I remember.