GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New to Forum - Need some advice (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-02, 06:02 PM
Homer Simpson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum - Need some advice (LONG)

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and am interested in possibly buying a used GS300. I've read through and searched the older threads, and found a lot of specific advice on the older GS300s, but I was wondering if you could help me out with some more advice.

Here's my situation:

-I have a 02 Toyota Camry that I commute in right now. It's a great car to be sure, but coming from a '98 Z28 it leaves a lot to be desired, performance wise. For comfort it's great and gets good gas mileage. We purchased the car new this year, and has really sold me on Toyota/Lexus. I almost purchased a GS300 then, but the Camry is nominally my wife's car right now, and she drives the Camaro most of the time, due to my long commute.

-My wife and I are expecting our first child in January. I'd like to have at least two "child friendly" cars by then. The Camaro doesn't qualify since it's a coupe and has next to no rear seating.

-I'll likely be selling the Camaro (sob, sob) but even if I don't I'll be purchasing a used car. I just can't justify paying 35K+ right now for a car. I like to purchase things in cash, and not finance large amounts (it's basically throwing your money away to interest).

-I've decided on either a 94/95 Acura Legend, a 94-97 GS300, or a 98/99 GS300. I would get a GS400, but the gas mileage isn't as great, and I'll be commuting in it. I'd prefer the GS over the Legend, since it's rwd, but the Legends are very cheap - ~12k to ~15k, even for the elusive Legend GS. The Lexus' (Lexi?) are more expensive and I want to be sure that I won't buy some money pit. I want to drive whichever car I get for at least five years, preferrably eight or more.

-The only modifications I will be making will be to the stereo, and possibly wheels/tires and I/E, but I'm commuting with the car so I'm not going to go overboard.

-I like the exterior looks of the 1st Gen much more, IMO one of the best looking sedans out there, even after nine years. I've driven the second generation, they are fantastic but a bit pricey. I think the 2nd gen are pleasant, and drive better, but I'm not sold entirely on the build quality vs. the first gen. Additionally, I like the EL gauges on the 1st gen over the opitron of the 2nd gen, but the shifter on the 2nd gen "feels" better. Essentially all the pros and cons of each are a wash for me, except price.

So here's what I'm asking:

1) What are the best years of the GS - I've heard some bad (for a Lexus) things about the 93-95 and the 98. A lot of techs have mentioned that the 1st gen actually hold up better. Does anyone else have any input on this?

2) I want a dark exterior and interior color - my understanding is that the 1st gen isn't available in a black interior, only dark grey. Is this true?

If I think of any other questions, I'll post them. Thanks for reading, and thanks for your feedback. I'll be back tomorrow to check them.

Homer
Old 06-20-02, 06:47 PM
NVMYGS3
Lead Lap

Get a 99. They're the second year after the latest gen GS was release so most of the bugs were taken out and they're pretty well priced now. You should be able to get one used with some decent miles for around 30K OTD. They should still be under warranty too!
Old 06-20-02, 07:14 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by NVMYGS3
Get a 99. They're the second year after the latest gen GS was release so most of the bugs were taken out and they're pretty well priced now. You should be able to get one used with some decent miles for around 30K OTD. They should still be under warranty too!
Yeah, what he said..... "99" would be your best bet....
Old 06-21-02, 09:00 AM
Homer Simpson
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I was leaning toward the 99s already since I've heard really bad things about the electrical system in the 98s. 30K might be a bit high a price for me, I think I'd have to finance some of that, and even at 6.9% (I think that's what Lexus' CPO rate is, might be lower) I am still hesitant.

I am hoping to get 12-15 for the Camaro, although I'm aware it's a somewhat slow market for the car, despite the car's limited availability since GM gave it the ax. I'd take the cash from that, add in cash from our savings account, and was hoping to buy in full for about 25K otd. I suppose if I could find a 96/97, they can be found for much less than that.

All in all, I'll probably end up buying the 99 though, and maybe even popping for the GS400 in the end. It would be nice to have V8 power and luxury. 'Course, I'm notoriously tight with my money, so don't be surprised if I "settle" for a 96/97, fully paid off as opposed to a (small) payment every month.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Old 06-21-02, 09:10 AM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd Say get a 99 GS. I have seen them for as low as 23k, but the miles are a little high. Lexus though will run forever if you take car of them. I have a 99 and I haven't had any issues. If you are coming from a camaro, I'd look into the 400...wish I got the 400, the gas mileage isn't that much different between the too. Don't get me wrong, the 300 has a good amount of power too. Just my two cents.

Old 06-21-02, 09:58 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

If you love the style of the 93-97, and want to pay cash (13K-$19K), then it looks like the 93-97 will really make you happy. I have no doubt that you can drive that car flawlessly in the next 5 years.

Let's say you got a '95 with a 100K miles. Adding another 75,000 in the next five years is really nothing for this car, or any Lexus or Toyota for that matter.

If you miss the power of your Camaro, the 93-97 engine can be modified easily as it shares the same engine with the Supra. There's a lot of aftermarket performance mods out there for this engine.

Also. I may also add that when you hear stuff like bad electricals for this and that model year, take it with a grain of salt. Anything "bad" for a Toyota is still "much better" than the average car. Call me a fanatic but I have the solid experience to prove it.
Old 06-21-02, 11:38 AM
LexFather

Default DOH!

IF u get a first gen GS, get a 97 models, it added the 5 speed auto and made it a lil quicker.

Welcome to ClubLexus.!
Old 06-21-02, 12:39 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I own a first gen, bought it about a month ago for a little over 10G's. Great car, I love it, even more so than the newer models. In my opinion it strikes a nice balance between sportyness and luxury which gives it a clean and understated look. That's only one of the reasons I went for the first gen instead of one of the newer ones. Price wise, what can I say, got it for 10G's!! Luckily for me, a few of my friends are certified Lexus mechanics that work here at one of the local dealerships . When I went to see the car I brought one of my friends along to inspect it for me. He took about 45 mins to give it a pretty thorough lookover and do a quick diagnotic on it. He pulled me to the side and broke it down to me, said that it was probably one of the cleanest 93's he has ever seen, interior, exterior and motorwise. So I talked the fella down to about 10500, his original asking price was 11900 and we brokered the deal right there in about 10 minutes or so. Drove home, dropped it the next day on Eibach Pro springs. Anyhow I'm getting side tracked here but yeah, most of my friends that work for Lexus can lay validity to this claim:

"A lot of techs have mentioned that the 1st gen actually hold up better."

This is exactly what most of the mechs over here have told me...they said, have the 120k done and you'll be good for another 100,000 miles. By the way, had my 120k done the next week I had the car....and yeah got hooked up on parts and labor of course....
Old 06-21-02, 01:12 PM
Mike
Driver

Default 120K

Iv got a 1st gen gs. what did you pay for the 120k? What did it consist of? Im at about 80k right now. should it be done early?

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-21-02, 01:17 PM
Homer Simpson
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Wow

Thanks for the replies, everyone! This forum seems much better at replying to a newcomer than some others, I won't name any of them right now, *cough* *cough* bimmers *cough* *cough*

I have a few more questions, if you wouldn't mind humoring me. Does the 1st Gen have a darker leather than the grey, or are the only choices that grey color and tan/beige? What are some of the prices for service/maintenance on both 1st and 2nd Gens? I get different quotes from different techs. The only maintenance I'm certain of is the oil change at 3k/5k for $50-$60, depending on what oil is used. I generally supply my own filter and oil (Mobil 1).

If you could post the prices you pay, that would help me determine which one I'd get. Also, if there is a web site that lists what each service consists of, that would be very helpful (to determine what parts are needed).

It seems that I've answered the question as to reliability for all the model years I'm interested in. And, as mentioned above, "below-average" reliability for a Toyota/Lexus is "above-average" for a lot of other makes. Thanks!

Your Pal,

Homer
Old 06-21-02, 02:21 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like the 1st gen get a 96 or 97 this way you can find the one with low miles. Only few minor problems about the 1st gen is, the brake pulsation on some car and the outside door molding on the upper part of the door comes loose which creat a lot of wind noise.
Service cost is depending on the dealer. Hope you'll find the right for you.
Old 06-21-02, 02:25 PM
LexFather

1ST gen offerered grey and beige leather only. Touring editions have 2 tone exteriors and diff 3 spoke split wheels.

Watch out for 30th owner GSs. They are all the rage in Atlanta.

I love the first gen! In Europe, the offered factory 18s as a setup (245 fronts, 265 rears). Once the person has changed the oil in ANY Lexus and maintained it, your good for years of reliable service.

Hey guys, how about some pics of ya'lls 1st gen rides!
Old 06-21-02, 03:04 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Thanks

Welcome to CL Homer (doh!)

- I am biased, but being here for almost a year, I haven't heard much in the way of electrical problems, I think.

- Over the long run (or even the short), the GS4 & GS3 are very close in gas mileage; we did a nonscientific study here, and the numbers were very close, even with mixed driving.

Both are solid cars - you can't loose. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.
Old 06-21-02, 03:06 PM
Mike
Driver

Default my 1st Gen GS

my 1st Gen GS.....
Attached Thumbnails New to Forum - Need some advice (LONG)-lex1.jpg  
Old 06-21-02, 04:59 PM
LexFather

Nice car Mike!

Quick Reply: New to Forum - Need some advice (LONG)