GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

OEM Bumper MOD

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-02, 03:22 AM
vistyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive seen that done on a gs300 in my city dont know if he cut the horizontal pieces out but ill ck.
Old 06-23-02, 08:50 AM
roenick7
Driver

here are the pics. Mesh goes in in the next few days. with a RMM grill. Mesh will match. I am trying to design a scoop now that I can get to everything to bring air into the SRT box! I will keep CL posted.
Attached Thumbnails OEM Bumper MOD-lex1.jpg  
Old 06-23-02, 08:51 AM
roenick7
Driver

pic 2
Attached Thumbnails OEM Bumper MOD-lex2.jpg  
Old 06-23-02, 09:00 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what did you use to cut the bars? looks good
Old 06-23-02, 11:40 AM
roenick7
Driver

hack saw and dremel cutter. easy as cutting butter. I could do it again in ten minutes.
Old 06-23-02, 12:47 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by roenick7
pic 2
Hmmmmmmmmmm? That is interesting! Looks TIGHT!!!
Old 06-23-02, 02:49 PM
Nexusbeta
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by roenick7
hack saw and dremel cutter. easy as cutting butter. I could do it again in ten minutes.

Realllllly? Well I live in cali too, north bay. If you ever wanna stop by and bring your tools with you ..... Did the bottom part sag at all? or does it still hold up really well?

Last edited by Nexusbeta; 06-23-02 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-23-02, 04:54 PM
roenick7
Driver

It held up OK. I wouldn't want to drive it everyday like this until I get the mesh and little L clips which will get the integrity back. However this MOD will be driven Monday at 80-90mph, trust me if it flies off on the 15 frwy I will post it.
Old 06-24-02, 10:59 AM
lexlikenother
Pole Position

Looks great. What did you use to fill/cover the holes with (where the cross bar and bumper met)?
Old 06-25-02, 06:07 AM
roenick7
Driver

There were no holes just a black line where the molded piece was. I sanded it down and painted it. The mesh is on now and the RMM grill. Looks good.
Old 06-26-02, 01:02 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

DUDE!! NICE DIY !!!

Original...

Looks nice...

Good JOB

BTW .... have you lowerd your car yet??? it looks kinds ... up there..

Last edited by CamRen; 06-26-02 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-29-02, 04:00 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default I like it!

Hey guy - looks good to me - like I said, I've been considering doing something to that bumper "grille" for some time - you may push me over the edge. Would appreciate a little more detail as to what was involved (I have Dremel) and how noticeable the cuts are before you put the mesh on. Thanks.

Hese is a "chopped" pic of my car with the slats "removed".
Attached Thumbnails OEM Bumper MOD-front-1c.jpg  
Old 06-29-02, 06:15 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

I have been thinking about doin the same this w/ my 92 SC3. I did have mesh in the lower part at one time, but took it out b/c of the bars. If u ever remove them, lemme know how it goes
Originally posted by lexlikenother
I've asked a couple of times in the SC forum this same question, but no one seems to know if/how this can be done. I wanted to do this to my '92 SC when I had the original bumper on. Then I got in a wreck and got a '97 bumper instead. I got in another wreck, so that bumper is no good either. (none of the 3 were my fault btw) . The bars are definitly urathane (at least on mine) so I was wondering about the integrity as well, especially the bottom. It seems like the mesh (depending on how strong it is and what you use to connect it to your bumper) would maybe hold up the bottom and prevent it from sinking (if it would in fact sink if you cut those cross bars).

But aren't they there for a reason? They either hold up the integrity, or prevent large objects from entering that hole, or both. The cross bars on the GS are smaller in size, and the hole created isn't as big as what would be if I did it to my SC. It doesn't seem that hard to do, just cut with a jig saw, and put something to cover the holes. Now I'm in the process of getting ANOTHER bumper, and really want to cut those cross bars out. I WOULD try it on one of my other bumpers, but they can be sold and fixed by a shop, so I don't want to completly ruin them. If you look in the pic, you can see the smaller supports coming down from the top part of the bumper, and coming up from the bottom to the larger center bar. Mesh would look really good going all the way across I think.
Old 06-30-02, 07:08 PM
roenick7
Driver

Exclamation

Ok. I finished and installed the mesh. The cuts were done very fast and there was a black spot where the grid was once conected. (unpainted plastic). I used touch-up paint from Lexus and set my mesh more towards the front of the grill. The 2 screws on both sides holding the fog lamps in are actually holding the mesh. It then bows around conected to the bottom with 1/4" (10mm head) black coarse screws. I predrilled the holes with a 90' drill head on the dremell. I used a ratchet to install through the top with the hood open. The upper part of the bumper is set a little forward. To get the right vertical line of the mesh I had to use small 1/4" L brackets attached to the top and mesh attached with a black 10/32" by 1/4" bolt & nut.
YOU CANNOT SET THE MESH AT THE BACK OF THE GRILL UNLESS YOU PLAN ON SANDING THE HIGH SPOTS OF WHERE YOU CUT DOWN AND AIRBRUSH THE PAINT ON SO IT LOOKS GOOD. ( THIS WOULD HAVE COST AS MUCH AS AN AFTERMARKET BUMPER SO WHY DO IT).:eek:
THIS TOOK SOME ENGINEERING DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME UNLESS YOU DON'T CARE IF YOU @#$!$% UP YOUR BUMPER AND ARE WILL ING TO PAY 175.00 FOR A NEW ONE. (UNPAINTED)

****I wound up useing gavinized mesh which I painted with high temp black paint. I coudn't find the laser cut mesh in a long enough piece. So be prepared to find it yourself and spend $15-20.00 on good metal sissors. Please refer to this post when I post pictures later.
Old 07-01-02, 01:00 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I here what you are saying, but I think if you're gonna make the effort, you might as well go all the way. Here is my car. I know I added something, but what I am trying to get across is that you need to make the car look clean. I cleaned out the cut out portion, sanded it down and painted it. BTW if you are looking for the mesh, do a search on "expanded metal" mine is the hexagonal mesh 1/4 inch. The only problem is they usually only come in 48X96 inch sheets (yes I know that is 4x8 feet)
Attached Thumbnails OEM Bumper MOD-bumper4.jpg  

Quick Reply: OEM Bumper MOD