GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Question for GS owners and your idea on rice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-02, 07:04 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for GS owners and your idea on rice...

I was thinking of getting some blacklights put underneath the feet and back seats/ I know many of you have different opinions and I'm not saying I'm definetely going to get it. I just happen to like having blacklights illuminate the interior cabin. I don't want to be made out as a honda boy or ricer, so let me get your guys opinions.
Old 06-23-02, 07:09 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that if placed well and not overdone it would look ok. If it were me I would put a switch in and only turn it on at shows or other special ocassions. I think it would get old everyday.
Old 06-23-02, 07:30 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by sirsomo
I think that if placed well and not overdone it would look ok. If it were me I would put a switch in and only turn it on at shows or other special ocassions. I think it would get old everyday.

agreed, I wasn't planning on throwing 10 lights in, just 4, two under console (driver/pasgr.) and 2 underneath front seats for rear passangers.
Old 06-23-02, 07:48 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Hey futuregs -- now you can spot some well missed lint on your floormats Sounds like a snazzy idea. Post pics when you do it.

As for rice, this doesn't qualify as it in my book.
Old 06-23-02, 09:23 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

I konw that it would be added points on your score in a show...
Old 06-23-02, 10:26 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it. Except I'm gonna go with the WHITE NEON TUBES from streetglow. To match my exterior.
Old 06-23-02, 10:55 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

NO future, no white neon sticks, please no! If anything a few blacklights.
Old 06-24-02, 09:55 AM
Mike D.
Banned

I agree, I also think that you should use blacklights. I think that they would look great in the car. Post some pic's when you finish the project.
Old 06-24-02, 10:02 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Please no white lights!!!!! and post some pics with them turned ON!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-02, 11:25 AM
fever
Lead Lap

You asked and I'll reply-Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
Old 06-24-02, 11:51 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

rice or not, i'd more go with rice, but it could be nice if well done. but you sure about blacklight? brendanlim is right, you'll see more lint then you'll ever want down there. either way, post pics and document the install for us!
Old 06-24-02, 12:55 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

cool since so many people are interesed in it as soon as i get my car back m gonna stop at the audio place by me and see what he can do. Since no one wants WHITE NEONS, i was thinking blue like LXOGOODS, I hear BLACKLIGHT is harder to see, plus it gives off a mellow purplish tone tha I'm not too fond of.
Old 06-24-02, 08:06 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Default Rice or not?

Future: I'll be honest when I say I'm one of the most **** people around when it comes to rice or not. Everything I do to my car, I make sure it is done in a custom way and I put a lot of effort into keeping the car's look very clean and "lexus like". When you talk about installing "neon" in a "lexus" you are going to get mixed reviews. Remember, this is your car and no one else's. If they think it's rice, so be it. If you like it, that's what counts. Stay true to yourself. Most people associate neon lighting with Honda's and Acura's (fast & the Furious) which makes it "rice". However, at most car shows that I've been too, the cars that use neon in a custom way that isn't too much but just enough to highlight certain area's score a lot of points. Now, what is rice? IMO

RICE= driving around with an underbody kit @ night. (save that for the shows)
RICE= when you can see the acual neon stick double taped to your dash or seat.
RICE= when you have them plugged into your cigarette lighter.
RICE= when you have them mounted by your sunroof or dash so other on-coming cars can see it.
RICE= when you need to wear RAYBANS to protect your eyes from the glow!

NOT RICE= when everyone asks "where is that glow coming from, I don't see a bulb"
NOT RICE= when you have switches to control all neon, not just when you turn on your headlights.
NOT RICE= when you have your switches hidden in a concealed place.
NOT RICE= using the neon with plexi-glass to help highlight certain items or areas.
NOT RICE= a custom install which know one has seen before!
For example: I haven't seen anyone try to highlight their air vents yet. I think that would be siick to see a red glow coming from the air vents at night.

Anyway, if you do it right, No one will call it "rice". I have yet to hear anyone at night call my car "rice". I have heard nothing but positives about my car. Oh, there's nothing better than to pull in front of a club @ night to have the blue glow from inside and the TV's playin...
Old 06-24-02, 08:19 PM
sirsomo
Pole Position

Good post LXOGOOD. I guess it all depends on personal preference and install. I dont know how easy it would be to run neon in the ac ducts, but at least it would be easy to hide the wires.
Old 06-24-02, 08:30 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Well, I didn't want to reply to this thread at first because I thought it did sound ricey. But, I have seen LXOGOOD's car and I really think his lighting looks good. IMO if it is done as LXO described, it is not rice. Would I do it? No, but I'm a middle aged guy...I can't get away with doing the cool things you young guys do

Quick Reply: Question for GS owners and your idea on rice...