GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS3 Owners - Do you regret not getting a GS4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-02 | 09:34 AM
lexlyf
Lead Lap

To be honest, I didn't really intend on getting another car. I was perfectly happy w/ my well seasoned SC300. My situation was a little different & I came across an excellent maintained GS300 on Ebay, which I was fortunate enough to win.

I will never regret purchasing the GS3 because all I will EVER have to do is just add boost. I'll be coming for you 400/430 owners later this summer! LOL

"...Mo, hand me that xxxxxxx and the xxxxxxxxxxx over there!..."
Old 06-24-02 | 10:32 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by manaray
Coming from the other end of the spectrum, I can honestly say I am DEFINITELY happy I got a GS430 instead of a GS300...the extra power was well worth it.
I agree with manaray.

Also, I seriously wouldn't expect a 300 owner to step up and say "...yeah, I really regret getting a 300...."

Its not a race car, yadda, yadda, yadda. Sure, there are all kinds of arguments that have surfaced before. And as far as upgrading the power, again correct. But where are all those boosters? (except for Marken of course )

I would also like to get an idea of those 300 owners who have driven a 4xx and would still make the same comments.

All things being equal, who wouldn't want more power? And having all the goodies, and a 4, well it just takes more time to acquire them.

Most everything is a factor of Time Value of Money.
Old 06-24-02 | 10:55 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by lexlyf
To be honest, I didn't really intend on getting another car. I was perfectly happy w/ my well seasoned SC300. My situation was a little different & I came across an excellent maintained GS300 on Ebay, which I was fortunate enough to win.

I will never regret purchasing the GS3 because all I will EVER have to do is just add boost. I'll be coming for you 400/430 owners later this summer! LOL

"...Mo, hand me that xxxxxxx and the xxxxxxxxxxx over there!..."
Plus, you now have a test mule for a GS300 SC kit for SRT...lucky dude!

As for myself, I agree totally with Dex and Manaray. I wanted a V8 and I LOVE V8's so I just waited for a used GS4 that was in my budget and price range. For me, I would much rather purchase a used GS4 then a new GS3 for the same amount of money...

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 06-24-02 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-24-02 | 12:01 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

i got a 300 because it was in my budget(not really, but here i am) and i'll say that i honestly do not regret getting a 430, but i do want it. of course we all want power and add things to our cars for that reason, but there's a lot of fun in just getting whatever power you can out of your car. the simple fact of knowing you added power beyond what lexus gave you is fun. are 430 owners happy enough? no. are ferrari enthusiasts happy to start? no.

i say get a 300 and spend the rest on suspension and you'll really be able to hang with any car. you could handle like hell daily but could only speed so often
Old 06-24-02 | 12:02 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexlyf
I will never regret purchasing the GS3 because all I will EVER have to do is just add boost
easy for you to say!!
Old 06-24-02 | 02:01 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

If I want a fast car I wouldn't get a GS430 I would get some other sports car. I don't think you can get REALLY GOOD performance with REALLY GOOD luxury. GS430 is REALLY GOOD luxury with great performance but not good enough for real sports cars.

Hence I'm getting a sports car GS300 will be a cruiser.
I agree. I learned this after getting the Supra. I had driven sports cars before but owning one is different. After driving that car(JZA-80), the GS4 felt slow.
Old 06-24-02 | 04:17 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bravo261

i say get a 300 and spend the rest on suspension and you'll really be able to hang with any car. you could handle like hell daily but could only speed so often
I agree with the senator from Orygun. When I went to buy my car all the 4's had high miles and that is a turn-off for me. So since my speed days are almost over it was not a factor for me. I think cruisin on the set with some nice wheels and mods beats speeding any day. You cannot hear the honey's if you are going fast.
Old 06-24-02 | 04:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

GS300 is a great car. Plenty fast enough, luxurious, etc.

The GS400/430 is a lot more money than the GS300 and that price diff is not worth it to many people. But I decided I wanted a RWD V8 once in my life at least and I could afford it.

I think if money weren't the issue most people would get a GS400/430 over a 300. But for most, money IS an issue.

But the original question was did GS300 owners regret not having gotten the 400/430. The answer isn't just about the extra 80HP. For many they might have liked the extra power but don't regret not having to pay all that extra money!

It also depends on your prior experience. A GS300 isn't any faster (it's slower in fact) than my 6 speed 4 door Legend GS I had before so I wasn't about to get a slower car. But if I'd been coming from a Honda Accord for example, then a GS300 would have been a great move.

I don't have ANY regrets about having spent 7K or whatever to get the GS400 over the GS300. Every time I put my foot down it's another grin which is pricele$$.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-24-02 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-24-02 | 07:47 PM
The_Best_GS
Driver

Well said Bit.

The GS3 was my first car. I bought it 3 months after I got my license. Most of the cars that I drove before buying the GS3 were rentals. Even after test driving the GS4, I couldnt rationalize paying an extra 8K to go 5MPH faster on the top end and to reach 60MHP 2 second faster. The GS3 was/is fast enough (compared to other cars I have driven).

bschack,
eventually you may WANT more power out of your car. Even the guys with the GS4 mod their cars to enhance its performance. But do you really NEED it. Or more importantly, is that WANT worth $8K. If it is to you then you know what to do...
Old 06-24-02 | 09:13 PM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

IMO it comes down to this...if you are getting the GS3 because it is the car you want, you will not have regrets. But, if you really want a GS4, but you are buying the GS3 because you don't want to spend the extra $, you just might regret it.
Old 06-24-02 | 11:45 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

I think with the GS4 you get what you pay for. You get a V8, HIDs, and 17 inch wheels. That's probably worth the extra cash. Our GS3 was purchased on a whim so we really didn't think about the GS4 because there weren't any in stock except a demostrator.

As dumb as this sounds, I wish I bought a LS4 cause it has a little more luxury(quieter) then a GS. And it has a strong motor too. But it's way more then we wanted to pay.

In a couple of years I would like to buy a used 99 or 2k LS4 and lower it and put some rims on it. I'll drive around in a lowered boat.)
Old 06-25-02 | 04:23 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

GS430 if you have the budget. I was once a GS300 owner, i know the desire of more power. ppl talk about bolt on turbo and swappping... etc.. face it, it's not realistic. There hasn't been 1 fully operational 98+ Turgo GS300 running.

Thus 430/400 is the way to go. Great kit/rims needs great power imo.
Old 06-25-02 | 05:56 AM
cgatch
Rookie

If you decide to get the GS300 and afraid about having second thoughts, I would suggest that you stay away from Club Lexus forum. Or, you can frequent the forum but don't read any discussions involving GS400/430 power. Just a suggestion. I know I'm happy with my GS300.
Old 06-25-02 | 06:37 AM
bschack
Driver School Candidate

Great responses - I appreciate them all - and they helped. 5 years ago the thought of not having the extra power would be unacceptable to me - not so much anymore - especially with a 7-month old in the back seat half of the time. I COULD afford the GS4, but I can afford a GS3 even more I think I'm gonna stick with the GS3 for 2 reasons: First, the Sportdesign interior is what made me fall in love (lust?) with the GS to begin with; and second, as far as modding the car, I care much more about handling and making my ride stiffer than I do about speed - and I can do a lot with the suspension for that extra $$. Bottom line is, the only thing I really was afraid of was buying an underpowered car, and it seems from the owners' responses that the GS3 is not underpowered. That said, I should be picking up my GS3 Sportdesign in 2 days - and I couldn't be more psyched
Old 06-25-02 | 09:50 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Lol, how do you think i ended up with my GS???

The GS400/430 is a really nice luxury sport sedan, and its no hot rod, or speeding bullet, but if you wanted to race with it, you could race 199x M3s and M5s, BMW 540s, Mercedes owners who think their C-class AMG is the ****... And Even with the GS300 you can blow away a lot of cars, but if that is your intent, then the GS3 is not a good choice.

I actually think the GS430 is a rip off, as the price between the GS400 and 430 is more than it would cost to get a torque converter installed, and i mean much more, and all the difference is 15 lb. torque.

The only time i would advice a GS4/30 over a GS300 is if you were considering a first gen. GS against a third, because the first gen. GS's are very sluggish IMO, no offense to anyone who has one.

Quick Reply: GS3 Owners - Do you regret not getting a GS4?