GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I Want White DRL's !!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-10, 12:33 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I Want White DRL's !!

Ok so I want to change out my DRL's (high beam bulb). I know that the DRL is just the high beam running at 10% power, now what I need to know is which bulb will still be white (instead of yellow) while running in DRL mode? I have heard that the Polargs are good and so are the silver star ultra's. Does anyone have any input on this? I have an '01 GS430 with factory HID's in the lows, don't know if this makes a difference but I thought I'd throw it out there before someone asks.

I saw this at Advance Auto Parts:

And these as well on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9005-...item27b26674a1

What is better? I have some bulbs in there now coated blue that look nice while the headlights are on but are still yellow when running DRL ...
Old 06-08-10, 12:53 AM
robertoyou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
Ok so I want to change out my DRL's (high beam bulb). I know that the DRL is just the high beam running at 10% power, now what I need to know is which bulb will still be white (instead of yellow) while running in DRL mode? I have heard that the Polargs are good and so are the silver star ultra's. Does anyone have any input on this? I have an '01 GS430 with factory HID's in the lows, don't know if this makes a difference but I thought I'd throw it out there before someone asks.

I saw this at Advance Auto Parts:

And these as well on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9005-...item27b26674a1

What is better? I have some bulbs in there now coated blue that look nice while the headlights are on but are still yellow when running DRL ...
id like to hear some input on those ebay bulbs. I JUST got those silverstart ultras yesterday. they look good imo. their nice and bright and they look pretty crisp. but they do have a HINT of blue.

this is my thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tar-ultra.html

the ultras are good. but their expensive. i got them for 54 at my local autozone. definitely i would suggest getting them (ultras) on ebay.!!!!!!!!

i liked them, but i wouldve liked FULL on white. instead of that light hint of blue
Old 06-08-10, 12:56 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by robertoyou
id like to hear some input on those ebay bulbs. I JUST got those silverstart ultras yesterday. they look good imo. their nice and bright and they look pretty crisp. but they do have a HINT of blue.

this is my thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tar-ultra.html

the ultras are good. but their expensive. i got them for 54 at my local autozone. definitely i would suggest getting them (ultras) on ebay.!!!!!!!!

i liked them, but i wouldve liked FULL on white. instead of that light hint of blue
Yea I saw your thread but you just replaced your low beams, I want to change the high beam bulb since that's the one running the DRL when the lights are off during the day. I really don't mind a slight blue hue on the lights while they are on fully, as long as when they're running at 10% they look white instead of yellow ...
Old 06-08-10, 02:07 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

go with white SMD LEDs for DRL...but you give up your high beams.
Old 06-08-10, 07:06 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put in the Silver Star Ultra's in my high beams. They are still plenty yellow as DRLs. They really don't have a hint of blue even as high beams, despite the blue coating on the bulbs.
Old 06-08-10, 09:10 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PHML
go with white SMD LEDs for DRL...but you give up your high beams.
That's what I was trying to avoid, I'd still like to have functional highs if I need them ...

Originally Posted by skiz88
I just put in the Silver Star Ultra's in my high beams. They are still plenty yellow as DRLs. They really don't have a hint of blue even as high beams, despite the blue coating on the bulbs.
Damn so I guess these are out of the qestion then. Does anyone know about the Polargs? I had heard before that they worked well for this purpose but I want to be 100% sure before wasting time/money ...
Old 06-08-10, 11:11 AM
vipXjunky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought DRL enables when your headlights are off? and when your headlights are on, the 194 little bulbs turns on..im so confused now lol..
Old 06-08-10, 11:48 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by iLuvMyLEXY
i thought DRL enables when your headlights are off? and when your headlights are on, the 194 little bulbs turns on..im so confused now lol..
Corect when headlights are off the high beam bulbs run at lower power, which is the DRL (9005 bulb). When low beams are on, the small 194 city light runs and the DRL does not.
Old 06-08-10, 11:51 AM
skiz88
Pole Position

That's what I was trying to avoid, I'd still like to have functional highs if I need them ...

Damn so I guess these are out of the qestion then. Does anyone know about the Polargs? I had heard before that they worked well for this purpose but I want to be 100% sure before wasting time/money ...
Does polarg make a 9005 bulb? I just bought polarg 194 bulbs to try for the city light but haven't received it yet.

I'm guessing the only option for a white DRL is finding a LED 9005 bulb that is capable of running at low power for DRL and high power for high beam. Not sure if such a bulb exists but I do not want to lose my highs either.
Old 06-08-10, 12:14 PM
tony1362
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope just ordered 68smd led off ebay for 8 bucks from china... use that bulb and then order the relay kid or harness off V-leds.com for it and it will fun at full power.
Old 06-08-10, 01:19 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Yes polarg makes a 9005 bulb, check the eBay link in my 1st post. I have 25 SMD LED bulbs in the 194 city/parking light but I had seen a thread once where someone had found a 9005 bulb for the high beam that was always white ... Man I don't want to disable my DRL but that's looking like the only option right now, anyone else know of anything else that would work?
Old 06-08-10, 05:11 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

just unplug them like i did
Old 06-08-10, 06:20 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

anybody got pics of a good bright bulb when the low beams are on? which would be the 194, ive been looking for some brighter ones the ones i have are a good color but can hardly see them on. btw mines a 98GS400.
Old 06-08-10, 06:22 PM
skiz88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TxLexus400
anybody got pics of a good bright bulb when the low beams are on? which would be the 194, ive been looking for some brighter ones the ones i have are a good color but can hardly see them on. btw mines a 98GS400.
I heard these are mad bright.
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/68-SMD-T10-...t10_sku_c1.htm
Old 06-08-10, 06:41 PM
TxLexus400
Lead Lap

oh wow good looking out, i just might try these.

Quick Reply: I Want White DRL's !!