GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Poor 2GS treated like junk..

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-10, 08:58 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
db drag is for competition not for music, in fact a true db drag vehicle is tuned to one note and pretty much only plays that note and has no musicality. Just like some go to the track to see who goes the fastest, they go to the drag lanes to see whos the loudest. Pretty understandable isnt it? DB drag competitions have major coin purses as well as trophies too. Its the engineering in the sport that got me in to it. People think its just a matter of putting wood together to make a box and thats it.. NOPE! Takes major skill to engineer a box in concordance to vehicle size and such. takes brains to do it and the feeling you get when what you built wins is awesome.

I've been involved with many db builds with my friends shop, so I understand what it's about.....I said I didn't understand the appeal.
Old 06-15-10, 09:26 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by spencedigg
+1 for Mr Jokster....I would be happy to at least hit 145db with my two 12"s. I have respect for the DB Drag sport.
What kind of 12's do you have? My boy is kitting 144.9 with one 12
Old 06-15-10, 09:29 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MrMark
I've been involved with many db builds with my friends shop, so I understand what it's about.....I said I didn't understand the appeal.
Not talking poo, but how can you not understand the appeal if you've been involved? its the same appeal as entering your car in a car show or running a 1/4 mile in 13 and pushing the next time down the track to get a 12.99 and faster the next and the next. Its the joy of beating personal best.
Old 06-15-10, 09:34 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

The difference between car shows and drag racing your car means you can still use your car afterwards and it can still look good. If you rip the roof off of your car you don't have much of a car left when you're done.
Old 06-15-10, 09:49 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Not talking poo, but how can you not understand the appeal if you've been involved? its the same appeal as entering your car in a car show or running a 1/4 mile in 13 and pushing the next time down the track to get a 12.99 and faster the next and the next. Its the joy of beating personal best.

It's a matter of opinion.......

I'd much rather have a car I can enjoy, drive, show, and have a nice SQ system to listen to. That appeals to me more than getting rid of my rear seat, dumping a bunch of batteries in the trunk, and filling my doors with cement while a bunch of guys jump on my trunk while I crank the volume up remotely for a couple seconds of glory.....but that's just me.

Just from a personal perspective, I'd rather have this....

Old 06-15-10, 10:21 AM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to see this GS abused like that, but it was obviously done for the Wow factor, and it sure accomplished that.
Old 06-15-10, 11:33 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of 12's do you have? My boy is kitting 144.9 with one 12
Just two 12" MMATS 3.0 in a ported box. I didn't make the box but it hit hard at 40-60hz. I have MMATS 2100.5 bass amp... RMS 1500. Can't complain.
Old 06-15-10, 11:51 AM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Frankie Rio (lexus) Demo'in after winning World Finals
Old 06-15-10, 08:16 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Just two 12" MMATS 3.0 in a ported box. I didn't make the box but it hit hard at 40-60hz. I have MMATS 2100.5 bass amp... RMS 1500. Can't complain.
Well you certainly have the equipment... Ever try removing one 12, sealing that opening and running one 12 in it? Depending on port size, you might get more output
Old 06-16-10, 09:11 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

i was wondering this EXACT same thing....if your involved in it, you wopuld have to understand it
Old 06-16-10, 09:17 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Well you certainly have the equipment... Ever try removing one 12, sealing that opening and running one 12 in it? Depending on port size, you might get more output
that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm gonna ask my audio dude about that setup. I'm gonna pickup a db meter at radioshack and just see what's what. They don't do DB drag in NY as often anymore. I would probably have to go outta state for an accurate reading.
Old 06-16-10, 09:45 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sakataj
i was wondering this EXACT same thing....if your involved in it, you wopuld have to understand it

I helped on a bunch of db builds....which made me appreciate SQ that much more. Again, I don't understand the appeal. Just because someone pays to install 6 12" subs in a box the size of a sofa into a van worth $300 and then fill the doors with cement doesn't mean I understand the appeal.

Again, if you like db, that's fine....to each his own. I'm just saying I would never do that to my Lexus.
Old 06-16-10, 10:22 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I'm gonna ask my audio dude about that setup. I'm gonna pickup a db meter at radioshack and just see what's what. They don't do DB drag in NY as often anymore. I would probably have to go outta state for an accurate reading.
well remember to use that meter only as reference to the difference between first set up and second. A true db mic (like the term lab mic) takes account for temperature and everything and gives true readings (and costs like $3000), the cheap one at radio shack gives reading with no account to anything readings will be off by like 10db's in some cases, so dont go around telling everyone you hit 150db's cause it will You're probably hitting around 138-139 (which is average for a pair of 12's in an average box )
Old 06-16-10, 10:43 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

well remember to use that meter only as reference to the difference between first set up and second. A true db mic (like the term lab mic) takes account for temperature and everything and gives true readings (and costs like $3000), the cheap one at radio shack gives reading with no account to anything readings will be off by like 10db's in some cases, so dont go around telling everyone you hit 150db's cause it will You're probably hitting around 138-139 (which is average for a pair of 12's in an average box )
Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just need to know the difference between this box and future boxes. I currently have it ported thru the factory sub area. I think the subs are facing each other.
Old 06-16-10, 11:00 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I'm aware of that. I just need to know the difference between this box and future boxes. I currently have it ported thru the factory sub area. I think the subs are facing each other.
oh then its a band pass box then not ported? cant remove one woofer in that type of application. If built right, its chambered for 2 woofers... I'm personally not a fan of band pass; unless it was engineered properly and not just fabricated. Most 'fabricated' band passes have a narrow sine wave and dont really drop low (like I like ) they hit pretty hard at its resonant frequency, but thats about it... got any trunk shots of the box?

(major thread jack LoL) bring it to PM if you'd like I'm interested in what you've got goin.

Quick Reply: Poor 2GS treated like junk..