GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

alot of money.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 09:25 PM
gsjason300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hobbys are always a waste of money hahahhaa but get your moneys worth out of it, but man turbo is always worth the $$$ with 10 grand id just get another car and turbo it.
Old 06-22-10, 09:30 PM
GSRSRT
Lead Lap

GTE swap if you got money like that other wise high quality suspension and not just shocks and springs im talkin about the hole package !
Old 06-23-10, 02:04 AM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to be a hater. Don't ****ing take the money. If she gives you 10k for graduating high school good for you, but taking the money would be selfish in my opinion. Don't spend money unless you know you can make more later. Get a career before you spend any money on your car otherwise modding is just pointless. I HATE Powered by mom mother lovers out there with nice cars. What did you do to deserve that car? I see guys 16 driving around LS460s. Sure the kid might have nice grades. But when does academic performance equate to your parents owing you something? They feed, clothe, and house you. And you're asking for more money for your own wants? They legally aren't responsible for taking care of your wants. So don't expect them to, or ask them to unless you feel it's worthwhile. My parents paid for half my car, and ever single mod I've done on it was paid for by my own money from work. And I'm not living paycheck to paycheck just to mod my car.

My only advise to you is to do what you want. Forget what anyone on here says. This forum is a bad influence. It's full of a large range of people who are powered every single mod by mom and dad, and others who paid for everything themselves. Everyone in here has different backgrounds, and you are the ONLY one capable of making your decision, because you are the only one that knows everything about you. Just ask yourself why you want to mod your car. Be honest, no reason lying to yourself. Do you want it so you can get props from other drivers? Do you want props from other forum members? It's an online community that has a bunch of people you will never meet, or will never truly care about. Do you want to go fast? Is it legal? Just ask yourself the questions and think about it hard. Do whatever you do for you. No one else.
Old 06-23-10, 05:27 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Baliztik
I'm going to be a hater. Don't ****ing take the money. If she gives you 10k for graduating high school good for you, but taking the money would be selfish in my opinion. Don't spend money unless you know you can make more later. Get a career before you spend any money on your car otherwise modding is just pointless. I HATE Powered by mom mother lovers out there with nice cars. What did you do to deserve that car? I see guys 16 driving around LS460s. Sure the kid might have nice grades. But when does academic performance equate to your parents owing you something? They feed, clothe, and house you. And you're asking for more money for your own wants? They legally aren't responsible for taking care of your wants. So don't expect them to, or ask them to unless you feel it's worthwhile. My parents paid for half my car, and ever single mod I've done on it was paid for by my own money from work. And I'm not living paycheck to paycheck just to mod my car.

My only advise to you is to do what you want. Forget what anyone on here says. This forum is a bad influence. It's full of a large range of people who are powered every single mod by mom and dad, and others who paid for everything themselves. Everyone in here has different backgrounds, and you are the ONLY one capable of making your decision, because you are the only one that knows everything about you. Just ask yourself why you want to mod your car. Be honest, no reason lying to yourself. Do you want it so you can get props from other drivers? Do you want props from other forum members? It's an online community that has a bunch of people you will never meet, or will never truly care about. Do you want to go fast? Is it legal? Just ask yourself the questions and think about it hard. Do whatever you do for you. No one else.

whats wrong with parents doing something nice for their kids? seems like your hating on rich kids who get nice things. i could careless if some rich kid gets an LS. i know he wont appericate it as much as i do my car because i worked for mine and know the value of a dollar.
Old 06-23-10, 06:44 AM
BrentGS
Pole Position

Baliztik , if the parents want to give the kid stuff so what? Maybe you didn't have that privilege but some parents don't mind giving their kids stuff and like too, everybody's different. It matters more on the mentality of the kid and what his goals,maturity and aspirations are.
Old 06-23-10, 07:46 AM
peterwho
Rookie

i think he meant from the kid saying that they havent been doing well economically.. and for him to take the 10k that his mom bust her *** for to blow on a car, isnt worthwhile as to leave it to something more important. like school.. or something his mom actually needs it most for.
Old 06-23-10, 07:49 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

word^ we don't realize what it takes until we ourselves become adults, then we realize what sacrifices our parent(s) make for us. At the age he's at, the mentality is "its all about me" or "I'm a baller (when I'm really not)". I'm saying that's for a lot of kids. I'm not accusing the OP of that.

Last edited by speedaddic; 06-23-10 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-23-10, 08:50 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Baliztik has a point. I hope you're gonna save the majority of the money that you didn't earn. My mother always told me to save my money because you never know. Well, we all know now, the economy sucks major *****. This is the time to hold on to few dollars that we have because we can't tell when the economy will return back to normal. I know you want to showoff the hot mods but to who? Impress yourself by having NO BILLS or HAVING A FAT KNOT in your wallet. That's a baller status. I live in a city where almost everybody poses as a baller. Trust me, that 10k knot you got there, you can diversify that money and watch it grow.
From one hungry GS addict to another,
PLEASE DON'T BLOW ALL THE MONEY AWAY ON THIS CAR!!!!
Old 06-23-10, 10:07 AM
peterwho
Rookie

and you dont know how long until you want a new car or a newer model
Old 06-23-10, 10:18 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Give me the money

but seriously if you are educated enough to invest it n make it grow so that you can later give your mom what she gave you + some then im sure she'll greatly appreciate everything. but then again Money isnt everything. Its the selfless act that you do for your mom n the sacrifice you make for her that means the most because she has sacrificed so much to get you where u are right now.

I lend my mom about 8k when i was 17 so she can pay for the house since times were tough a few years back.. Economy went down n business sucks.. She later started to pay me back like 5k total n after i got a job i told her not to anymore.

Of course my story aint as good as speedaddic lol.. .but yea u get the picture.

Last edited by vwynn; 06-23-10 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-23-10, 01:08 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
word^ we don't realize what it takes until we ourselves become adults, then we realize what sacrifices our parent(s) make for us. At the age he's at, the mentality is "its all about me" or "I'm a baller (when I'm really not)". I'm saying that's for a lot of kids. I'm not accusing the OP of that.
+1 Well said.

I'll admit, I shake my head after the OP disclaims he may just do whatever he wants with it anyway. Not that any of our opinions are 100% right, but I think most of us have roughly the same opinion of spending little to even nothing on the car...I hope he doesn't ignore the results of his own poll.

Tell ya what stud, pick up a Money magazine, read it cover to cover, and decide where you want to be in five years. If you'd still rather mod depreciated cars, you have my support in blowing all $10k (not that it really means much).

(If we didn't care, we wouldn't waste our time replying to the thread. Obviously our lessons are well-learned.)

"Your mom and dad are rich; ya'll...are broke." --Will Smith to his kids
Old 06-23-10, 07:22 PM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
whats wrong with parents doing something nice for their kids? seems like your hating on rich kids who get nice things. i could careless if some rich kid gets an LS. i know he wont appericate it as much as i do my car because i worked for mine and know the value of a dollar.
I don't think there's anything wrong with this. But it all depends on how the kid is raised. I'm hating on kids who feel like they deserve it. I'm hating on parents giving them that mentality of entitlement.
Old 06-23-10, 10:38 PM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would sit down and draw a pie chart. That pie would equate to 10k.

If I was in your shoes, the first thing I would do is open a Roth IRA at Vanguard for 3 - 4 K. Make sure you research before you jump into any particular fund though. This will make it harder for you to access and spend. You can buy an IRA and forget about it. Auto re-invest the dividends and capital gains and witness the power of compound interest.

With the next 6-7 K of the pie, I would immediately bank half of that money for a rainy day. Maybe roll a bit of that into a 6 or 12 month CD, making it again harder to access. The main person you want to defend your money against right now is yourself. I would do this until you become disciplined enough to stave off any impulsive buying habits you may have.

The last couple grand, spend it how you see fit.

If you make and stick to a planned budget, you will appreciate where your money is going or staying, and you will have a plan to stick to.

GL.
Old 06-24-10, 07:27 AM
bigguppy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. When I first saw this post I never thought it would go this far. I guess I will join in with my 0.2 cent on this too then.

First off let’s give the OP credit for being young and realizing that this is a want not a need. So let’s not forget that. So now with $10k and wanting to do a proper boost on a GS400 would be a real waste of money because that is not possible. Unless you really cut corner and do a low quality setup that will break down and cost more in the long run. A 2jz-gte sounds great but the GS itself is a heavy car. It would have a tuff time even trying beat a civic with a decent motor swap that cost half of 2jz-gte swap. If that you wanted to race anyone. (Don’t flame me you speed addict just trying to be realistic for the average Joe) That is just food for thought.

So OP, why don’t you take that money and invest it in your future? See how far you can stretch that $10k. Do some researches invest it in stock or something more productive. Learn to spend that money wisely. Set a goal not to bugg your family for cash since $10k is given and they will always be there. See if you can survive on your own with the money. You would only learn and grow from the experience to become a better person.

If you love your GS that much to want to boost it, you always can do it later when you are done with college and have a career. Technology only gets better, so by the time you decide to work on it you would have more option to play with. It is a hobby you can pick up on it any time.

I feel old posting this

Last edited by bigguppy; 06-24-10 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-24-10, 09:12 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

dam is the 2gs really 4600 lbs?

Quick Reply: alot of money.