GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TSB thread? ABS Unit Failing? 2001 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 07:43 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSB thread? ABS Unit Failing? 2001 GS300

Is there a TSB thread available? Or is there a way to look at ALL the TSB's that have ever happened? Also, can we get them performed if they haven't already been completed?

Reason I ask, is I believe my ABS unit or BMC is failing, and it seems to be mirroring a TSB that Sakataj stated was available for the 98-00 models. Mine is an 01 GS300, but I believe was built in October of 2000. I'm just curious if I can get this warrantied or if I should be worried if this is the actual problem.
Old 06-22-10, 10:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Usually TSB are not free unless the car is under warranty. So even if the TSB is available, you're probably going to have to pay out of pocket unless the dealer does it under good-will.
Old 06-22-10, 10:13 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

My Odyssey had a TSB on a fuel pump relay and it was free. Towing to the dealership though was not.

It never hurts to ask though. You might just get lucky.
Old 06-22-10, 10:27 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

So where can I find a listing of TSB's?
Old 06-23-10, 06:25 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Anybody out there that can help me?
Old 06-23-10, 06:30 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is a TSB???? Is it something like a recall? I know the BMC on our cars are notorious for going bad and usually require a pretty expensive replacement part so I'm curious what you're referring to.
Old 06-23-10, 07:17 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

TSB is a technical service bulletin. The difference between a recall and a TSB is that the TSB is usually for newer cars still under the factory warranty period and fixes a problem that does not put the owner at risk.

Even if there was a TSB for this (I am pretty sure there's not), this item is not going to be covered under any kind of warranty for a 10 year old car. You will get straight laughed out of the dealership if you ask them to help cover the cost.

Parts do not last forever.
Old 06-23-10, 07:20 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used All Data before, but I don't have my subscription anymore, another way might be to check with the NHTSA site maybe? Here's the link to All Data:

http://www.alldata.tsb.com/home/
Old 06-23-10, 08:51 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
TSB is a technical service bulletin. The difference between a recall and a TSB is that the TSB is usually for newer cars still under the factory warranty period and fixes a problem that does not put the owner at risk.

Even if there was a TSB for this (I am pretty sure there's not), this item is not going to be covered under any kind of warranty for a 10 year old car. You will get straight laughed out of the dealership if you ask them to help cover the cost.

Parts do not last forever.
These aren't brake pads wearing out..this is a safety unit failing. To me, it should be replaced, mainly because it shouldn't 'wear out' within 9 years. Per another thread, it was an issue on 98-00 cars, and they were replaced. Why should it be different for other years?
Old 06-24-10, 07:57 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious, but why do you think your BMC is failing? What symptons are you getting?
Old 06-24-10, 11:47 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Update...

I did a bit more 'self diagnosing' and this is what I've deduced.

When driving the car, and braking, once I've reduced speed to 10mph or under, I get a quick 'buzz' sound and the pedal may lose slight pressure, like the abs is releasing the pedal 'thinks' it needs to pump the brakes then realizes it doesn't.

I believe that the ABS sensors and VSS are tied together correct?

I removed the driver side ABS sensor, the VSC ABS and VSC OFF lights came on, and I took the car for a quick drive. When braking, at 15 mph to below 10mph or a complete stop, the noise was gone.

This could be from the ABS unit thinking there is a faulty sensor, or the sensor is faulty, and it is the problem.

I plugged the sensor back in, test drove it, again, braked from 15 to a stop, and I believe the car buzzed again once I reduced speed to 10 and below.

I know for sure it did once I 'reset' the sensor by driving to above 25mph and stepping on the brakes, when the lights all turned off.

Now that I think about it, I may need to unplug the sensor again, and trip the lights, then only brake from 15 to below 10, to see if it makes the buzzing sound again.

I know that I removed the passenger side as well, tripped the lights, and the same thing happened as far as the buzzing sound going away with the warning lights on the dash.

As far as WHY I think it is the BMC, it is in this thread : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lpppppp-2.html

It is the only thing that is really related to a buzzing noise, and the brake system.

What I need to find out, is if there is a way to test the ABS sensor to see if it is within spec and reading correctly.

Why I believe it could be an ABS sensor, is because I recently changed my caster bushings, and pulled off the whole front hub, to remove the shock, to make it easier to put the arm back in.

I know that when I did it to the driver side, i forgot to detach the sensor from the hub, and started pulling it off, and when I did that, it got caught and I think I may have broken the sensor that way, since I've read in the past they are very sensitive.

I only came to the conclusion that it very well may be the sensor, because it happens at 10mph or below, every time I hit the brakes, and IIRC the VSS and ABS sensor are the same, or linked in some way.
Old 06-24-10, 02:27 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Caoboy
These aren't brake pads wearing out..this is a safety unit failing. To me, it should be replaced, mainly because it shouldn't 'wear out' within 9 years. Per another thread, it was an issue on 98-00 cars, and they were replaced. Why should it be different for other years?
lulz.

I'm sure that you would like a $2000 part to be replaced, I would like to be batman.......

Brake boosters and brake master cylinders fail on cars all the time. It IS a wear item.

There wasn't a TSB on this. That is why you can't find one except for hearsay on the internet. Even if there was a TSB, it would have been cancelled a long, long time ago.

If you are getting ABS/VSC codes, go to the toyota/lexus dealer and get the codes pulled.

It would have been helpful if you had mentioned that you busted a sensor when you were doing the work on your car. Either way, you need to know the codes for sure. Man up and pay the $85 to get them. Otherwise you will not know the problem.
Old 06-24-10, 03:00 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

So I did a bit more diagnosing...tested the ABS sensors, both are reading at 1.75k Ohms. They aren't the problem.

Plugged the sensors back in, reset the sensors, problem still there. Looked around a bit, and come to find out, the passenger side ABS sensor was a LITTLE bit loose.

Tightened it up, no more buzzing sound. Drove around a bit, still no buzzing sound. Hopefully it will be fixed.
Old 06-25-10, 02:17 AM
YviE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the noise you had was the ABS device/pump.

I found this thread on the internet, interesting:
http://www.jzs147.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2273
Old 06-28-10, 06:57 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

As far as I know, it was a 'warning' type thing, or the sensor being loose was fooling the ABS unit into thinking there was something wrong at 10mph when the brakes were pressed. IDK, but I've been driving it and all is well.

Quick Reply: TSB thread? ABS Unit Failing? 2001 GS300