GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Well my GS is refusing to stop

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-10, 11:20 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Well my GS is refusing to stop

Well i thought i knew how to bleed brakes but apparently my car does not agree with me. Yesterday i replaced the right rear brake hose and removed all 4 calipers to strip them off their rust and paint them. Well everything went back fine and i lost some brake fluid in the process but no biggie because i bought a prestone synthetic dot 3 bottle of fresh fluid.

I bled the brakes yesterday, starting with right rear left rear right front then left front. The brakes semi work because they are mushy and the pedal will go all the way down easily but the car will still stop.

So today i bled it again starting with the back, this time i didnt pump it while in the on position but i had my buddy step on the brake and hold and let all the abs do the work, then i did the front by pumping it 3 times and doing it that way while the car was not in the on position.

There was no air bubbles left and all that came out was clean fluid, and in the process i added almost the whole bottle of prestone.

There are no leaks anywhere and no air bubbles left when i bleed them, however when the car is in park and in the on position the master cylinder starts its little pumping cycle and i get a weird clicking noise right by the shift **** everytime i touch the brakes while in park.

is there something im missing here?

Any help would be appreciated and thank you all for not hating me for typing so damn much its just that i just put some new wheels on there and dont want to kill myself or hurt my new shoes lol
Old 06-25-10, 11:53 PM
bighead222
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damm man that sucks i wish i could help you ill ask my brother and see if he knows good luck ...
Old 06-26-10, 06:29 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

thanx man!!
Old 06-26-10, 07:04 AM
maximus54
Driver

I just did the same thing i bled the brakes about 3 times and then i figured out what i was doing wrong. While my friend was pressing down on the brakes i would cut off the bleeder valve, because i didnt want any air to go back up the line. But then I had the mushy pedal feel, so I did it again only this time i said tell me when your foot is off the pedal, and when they lifted i closed the bleeder valve. In my situation this fixed the mushy pedal feeling.
Old 06-26-10, 10:21 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

I thought if you let go of the pedal air will go inside and that is the wrong way to bleed.
I had a mechanic look at my car because i got mushy pedal thought its the brake master cylinder, anyways he said that you have to reset the computer for the brakes when you do the rears is that true how to reset the computer?
Old 06-26-10, 01:57 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Interesting... I bled my brakes and this was how I did it.

Key on, hold brake pedal down and one guy open the bleeder valve for the right rear. Keep it open until no air and until clean fluid comes out, then close. Then repeat the same for left rear.

For the fronts, key off, pump 3-4 times hold and have someone remove the bleeder valve. Do it until no more air and until clean fluid come out.

Results, wasn't happy because brake pedal feels light, but not mushy. So I bled the brakes again the same procedure. It came out a little better than before. But I believe if I would rebleed again, it would give a better feeling on the brake pedal but ehh, I'm lazy, so I lefted it that way. Did a test drive and it does feel more responsive when u stop. Hope that helps.
Old 06-26-10, 02:24 PM
maximus54
Driver

Originally Posted by toy4life86
I thought if you let go of the pedal air will go inside and that is the wrong way to bleed.
I had a mechanic look at my car because i got mushy pedal thought its the brake master cylinder, anyways he said that you have to reset the computer for the brakes when you do the rears is that true how to reset the computer?
When they take their foot off the fluid goes back up a little bit, bc once there foot is off I immediately close the bleeder valve. It was the only way I could get rid of most of the mushy brake feel. I also installed SS lines and used ATE Super Blue fluid to help with the problem.
Old 06-27-10, 11:49 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Interesting... I bled my brakes and this was how I did it.

Key on, hold brake pedal down and one guy open the bleeder valve for the right rear. Keep it open until no air and until clean fluid comes out, then close. Then repeat the same for left rear.

For the fronts, key off, pump 3-4 times hold and have someone remove the bleeder valve. Do it until no more air and until clean fluid come out.

Results, wasn't happy because brake pedal feels light, but not mushy. So I bled the brakes again the same procedure. It came out a little better than before. But I believe if I would rebleed again, it would give a better feeling on the brake pedal but ehh, I'm lazy, so I lefted it that way. Did a test drive and it does feel more responsive when u stop. Hope that helps.
this is exactly what i did twice and still really mushy. I wonder if there is something electrical related
Old 06-27-10, 11:52 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

The clicking noise by the shifter, is the brake shift interlock.
Old 06-27-10, 12:12 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hypervish
The clicking noise by the shifter, is the brake shift interlock.
so im guessing thats normal right
Old 06-27-10, 12:23 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

yeah thats normal
once i read about a person that got there pedal adjusted do you think that could be it?
because my car stops but the pedal is just low,
i should really slam on the breaks and see how good it stops tho
Old 06-27-10, 12:25 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

bleed the master cyclinder/abs unit first, then bleed right rear, left rear, right front and left front. gl
Old 06-27-10, 12:32 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

how do you bleed the master cylinder? does everyone do this?
Old 06-27-10, 12:55 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AshburnM3
bleed the master cyclinder/abs unit first, then bleed right rear, left rear, right front and left front. gl
thats what i was thinking, on my 2007 navigator thats what i had to do because the brakes were really soft but i took a look around on the GS's master and didnt see a bleeder valve
Old 06-27-10, 01:32 PM
AshburnM3
Pole Position

i hope u know how to search in here! but i m sure u can read this :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...0-install.html

bleed the master cylinder/abs, then bleed all 4 corners again. make sure u have a couple bottles of brake fluid available (dont be cheap), you need at least one friend to help you and good luck

Quick Reply: Well my GS is refusing to stop