GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacement Key

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 01:31 PM
Doneve79
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacement Key

Suggestions needed!

I have a valet key only(w/o buttons) for my car in which i need to replace. Im wondering, if i buy a replacement key on ebay or so... Can anyone cut it & program it for me? According to the dealership, it wont work for the car or i may have to replace cpu in order for me to have a set of keys w remote.

Any suggestions please!
Old 07-01-10, 01:49 PM
TopRamen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No! That's false.

If you buy off of eBay make sure it comes with the programming instructions.

For the valet key.

1) Get it cut by any locksmith who can cut sidewinder keys. Here in CA, i got it cut for 15 bucks.

2) follow the instructions given for the programming.

And you're done.

if you need the instructions, let me know.
Old 07-02-10, 04:01 PM
dealer374
Driver

Originally Posted by TopRamen
No! That's false.

For the valet key.

1) Get it cut by any locksmith who can cut sidewinder keys. Here in CA, i got it cut for 15 bucks.

And you're done.

if you need the instructions, let me know.
I may be wrong but... I bought a key off eBay and went this route. The programing instructions that usually come with those keys copy the data from a master to the new one. As the valet is not a master when you copy the settings if its even possible to do with a valet key it will not act as a Master. Further more when the new key is cut from the valet it will still have the same properties i.e. not open glove box, trunk, or unlock the gas tank and trunk release function, so you will have 2 valet keys. If you still have the 5 digit number tag that came with car when it was new they can cut you a real master key just from those numbers BUT it will not have the programed LPS settings, but if you get a master cut a dealer can program it with the scan tool which I believe they charge around $75 to do.
Old 07-30-10, 09:59 AM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so whats the other way? same here i dont have the master key only valet now
stealership wanted 2500 bucks!!!
Old 07-30-10, 10:33 AM
Doneve79
Driver

Originally Posted by AsGs300
so whats the other way? same here i dont have the master key only valet now
stealership wanted 2500 bucks!!!
I dk.. I think i will have to pay the $260 they ask for...
Old 07-31-10, 05:57 AM
scannmann
Rookie

Originally Posted by Doneve79
I dk.. I think i will have to pay the $260 they ask for...
Check this out. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...errerid=128977
Sorry about all the extray. Go to th last page and check out the KEYS
Also check your pm.

Last edited by scannmann; 07-31-10 at 06:43 AM. Reason: add info
Old 07-31-10, 08:28 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TopRamen
No! That's false.

For the valet key.

This would only work if you have a master key to use for programming the new key. A valet key is normally not a master key, so this would not work.

A valet key can be programmed into a master key (I did this to mine) - but it is highly unlikely that the OP had that done before the master keys were lost.

I would recommend going with one of those services where you send them your ECU and they reflash it for you, to accept a new master; it's usually much cheaper than getting it done at Lexus. Something like this, for example - http://www.locksmithcharley.com/transponder.html. Scroll towards the bottom.

But if you don't want to mess with that, then try to find someone locally that might do the same service for you.
Old 07-31-10, 10:18 AM
scannmann
Rookie

[QUOTE=lyonkster;5681336]This would only work if you have a master key to use for programming the new key. A valet key is normally not a master key, so this would not work.

A valet key can be programmed into a master key (I did this to mine) - but it is highly unlikely that the OP had that done before the master keys were lost.

I would recommend going with one of those services where you send them your ECU and they reflash it for you, to accept a new master; it's usually much cheaper than getting it done at Lexus. Something like this, for example - http://www.locksmithcharley.com/transponder.html. Scroll towards the bottom.

But if you don't want to mess with that, then try to find someone locally that might do the same service for you.[/QUOTE

If I recall there is a way to program the new keys to make them masters. I hate to keep asuming here. When I get a chance to get back to the literature I will pm it to you so you guys can take a look at it. Unfortunatly I am leaving on vacation in a few hours. Be back in one week.
Old 07-31-10, 02:34 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scannmann
Originally Posted by lyonkster
This would only work if you have a master key to use for programming the new key. A valet key is normally not a master key, so this would not work.

But if you don't want to mess with that, then try to find someone locally that might do the same service for you.
If I recall there is a way to program the new keys to make them masters. I hate to keep asuming here. When I get a chance to get back to the literature I will pm it to you so you guys can take a look at it. Unfortunatly I am leaving on vacation in a few hours. Be back in one week.
There may be some models that allow this, but for the vast majority (if not all) of Gen 2 cars, you either need a master or you have to reflash the ECU.

Good discussion of this here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...a-new-one.html