GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Looking for advice/opinions on my plans from the O.G.'s in the VIP scene.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 01:45 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking for advice/opinions on my plans from the O.G.'s in the VIP scene.

So i've been researching a lot about different mods/customizations I could do to my car and this is my list so far on what I want to do..

First off here is a picture of my car as of now;

And here's the list of things I want to get done;

From Elite Auto Style i'm planning on buying..

-: Monarch Puddle Lighting System
-: TRANCE Illuminated EL Step Plates
-: LED Luxury Mirror Cover
-: LED Tail Lights
-: LED/SMD License Plate Lamps
-: CCFL "Halo" Headlights
-: D.A.D Luxury Curtain type Velvetfrill
-: Insurance 3 Piece Aero Kit for JZS161 (Ambition)

http://www.eliteautostyle.com/products/lighting.htm

From JP..

-: White Fusa
-: GINTUNA (I think that's what everyone uses along w/ the Fusa?)

Still don't know what i'm going to do about replacing the stock sub in the back of the car. Might go w/ Pioneer. I've seen a lot of people saying they use Pioneer? Might go w/ that. Dunno what i'm going to do about MP3/iPhone plugin. I have a 98' GS300, so I don't know if the newer models audio in-dash can be put in the '98 or what aftermarket I could use for it. For suspension I might go w/ Megan Coilovers, but i'm not sure if I should do that or air suspension, 'cause some of these streets in the DFW area are terrible-.-. Sometimes I might want to raise my ride a bit for weather or if I need to go down a slope or something, so still trying to decide on that.

So what do you guys think so far on my plans? Good/bad? Any suggestions or opinions?

Good or bad throw them at me.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Oh and also forgot chrome handles for the doors.
Old 07-16-10, 01:53 PM
jgc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you didn't specify, but if what you are planning to get from elite auto is your very first mods, I would throw it out the window and start with a nice set of wheels and suspension first. I did not even see anything mentioned for wheels in your entire post, but I did see curtains. Sigh.
Old 07-16-10, 01:56 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgc
I know you didn't specify but if what you are planning to get from elite auto is your very first mods, I would throw it out the window and start with a set of wheels a suspension first. I did not even see anything mentioned for wheels in your entire post.
Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllll I figured that it'd be logical to get better wheels in the end.. Didn't think i'd have to say that for people to know, but yeah.

I didn't mention wheels because that's really still up in the air. Don't really know what i'm going w/ that. I want to get some Eurolines or something close to it, but it's way out of my range. Might go down to a friends shop and see what he has to offer. He told me he could get me a set of 18's for $500-600, so i'll see what he has and if anything catches my eye i'll snag it.

I have heard though that you should get suspension first and then the wheels. Just what i've read on here though.

Edit: And no what I have listed is not necessarily the order I will be using. It's just what i'm planning to get done is all.
Old 07-16-10, 02:07 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SWGrinda
From Elite Auto Style i'm planning on buying..

-: Monarch Puddle Lighting System
-: TRANCE Illuminated EL Step Plates
-: LED Luxury Mirror Cover
-: LED Tail Lights
-: LED/SMD License Plate Lamps
-: CCFL "Halo" Headlights
-: D.A.D Luxury Curtain type Velvetfrill
-: Insurance 3 Piece Aero Kit for JZS161 (Ambition)

http://www.eliteautostyle.com/products/lighting.htm

From JP..

-: White Fusa
-: GINTUNA (I think that's what everyone uses along w/ the Fusa?)

so.. youre going to spend $2000 on led lights/headlights/taillights/mirror covers/curtains and $2900 (+ cost of paint) on an insurance body kit

...but only $500-600 for a set of 18s?
sense.. this makes none.
Old 07-16-10, 02:09 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
so.. youre going to spend $1685 on led lights/headlights/taillights
and $2900 on an insurance body kit

...but only $500-600 for a set of 18s?
sense.. this makes none.
And a new set of Eurolines runs what? 3k-4k? Makes sense to me. I just don't want to spend 4k on a set of wheels when I can get some for less than 1k that'll set of the car just as good? Makes perfect sense to me.

The wheels aren't everything. Do the wheels make a difference? Yes, but they don't 'make' the car. In my opinion atleast. You can have a s***** lookin' Town Car w/ some sick 24's on it. Sure the wheels are nice, but in the end the car as a whole is still a POS. That's my logic though.
Old 07-16-10, 02:09 PM
jgc
Pole Position

Save your money, get you some coilovers, keep your eye on the forums for a nice set of wheels that will fit nicely because I assure you those 18s you're getting will not. You'll be much happier spending $1200-$1500 on a better set of wheels if you just have patience, you're dropping hundred of dollars on supporting mods like curtains and illuminating door sills but a fraction of that on a set of wheels? You're already going the opposite of VIP. If you haven't already, go here, vipstylecars.com/forums and read read read read.
Old 07-16-10, 02:14 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jgc
Save your money, get you some coilovers, keep your eye on the forums for a nice set of wheels that will fit nicely because I assure you those 18s you're getting will not. You'll be much happier spending $1200-$1500 on a better set of wheels if you just have patience, you're dropping hundred of dollars on supporting mods liek curtains and illuminating door sills but a fraction of that on a set of wheels? You're already going the opposite of VIP. If you haven't already, go here vipstylecars.com/forums and read read read read.
Explain how getting things that all other VIP cars have is going the exact opposite for me please? I'm willing to spend $1200-$1500 on some wheels np. That's fine with me, but i'm not going with a set that's going for 3k. I still don't understand how i'm going the opposite though...? It's not like I said I was going to put a lift kit on my car instead of going w/ Air Suspension or Coilovers. I did state that I was going to do that, and that is actually going to be my first mod.. The suspension.. I'm just trying to figure out which is better to have, so if you don't mind.. Elaborate more for me?
Old 07-16-10, 02:19 PM
jgc
Pole Position

So you think vip = curtains, illuminating door sills, and a fusa? Sorry kid, I have what I consider a vip ride and the only items I have on your list are the body kit and the led tails, mods that came way after the start of my build. My point being, those mods are not going to make your car vip.

Good luck on your build, you asked for advice and opinions and I dropped my .02. I'd check out the site I posted and continue from there.
Old 07-16-10, 02:20 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

because vip boils down to this: stance and fitment

what that means is the overall visual presence of your car. Stance: the appearance of how your car sits (read:lowered), and Fitment: how the wheels fit into your wheel well.

wheels and suspension are the base of the foundation of building an effective vip car IMO.

you are just riddling your car with accessories with little regard to the above stated factors.

In the end, you will probably have a nice looking car. But next to a car with proper stance and fitment it will be lacking sorely in the visual dept, which is what VIP is all about.

Its not practical at all, and to be honest it doesnt sound like a good fit for you. Just modify the car to your taste and dont label it as anything but your creation.

my 0.02

I highly recommend you post this on vipstylecars.com and see if you get differing opinions... I doubt you will
Old 07-16-10, 02:21 PM
hurricane
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

things i would do before any of that stuff
1)better tails-either leds or +01
2)+01 chrome grill( might have cant see front of car
3)better wheels
4)drop it
5)remove oem trunk spoiler (get jp spoiler if money is avail)
6)clear sidemarkers

get these basic things out the way before working about lighting .etc
Old 07-16-10, 02:23 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

VIP aint cheap... everyone whos true VIP knows that.

wheels + kit + Suspension = $6K+ usually if u get authentic.
Old 07-16-10, 02:26 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Brandicus
because vip boils down to this: stance and fitment

what that means is the overall visual presence of your car (read:lowered). Stance: the appearance of how your car sits, and Fitment: how the wheels fit into your wheel well.

wheels and suspension are the base of the foundation of building an effective vip car IMO.

you are just riddling your car with accessories with little regard to the above stated factors.

In the end, you will probably have a nice looking car. But next to a car with proper stance and fitment it will be lacking sorely in the visual dept, which is what VIP is all about.

Its not practical at all, and to be honest it doesnt sound like a good fit for you. Just modify the car to your taste and dont label it as anything but your creation.

my 0.02
Alright, so with what all of you have said I have these questions..

What is a good amount to drop the car? I will use it as a DD, so don't want to slam it and all that, but want to drop it a good amount.

Fitment: What exactly is this and how does it work? Sorry i'm a nooby to all that.

What do people mean by tucking the front fenders and shaving the back ones?

If you don't mind answering that is..
Old 07-16-10, 02:27 PM
Kingpin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Start here

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Car...-VIP's-Car

CAR > You have

0/ make sure you relly wanna do this cus you will never get back some of the money ..

1/ Suspension

2/wheels and fitment (original stuff not knock off rims)

3/ all the other PCs come last

Hope my link help to UNDERSTAND the meaning of VIPCAR build use
Old 07-16-10, 02:28 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jgc
I know you didn't specify, but if what you are planning to get from elite auto is your very first mods, I would throw it out the window and start with a nice set of wheels and suspension first. I did not even see anything mentioned for wheels in your entire post, but I did see curtains. Sigh.
+1
wheels/stance makes it vip. not the little things like puddle lights and fusa's..........
u are not VIP if your ride height is "just enough" it has to be slammed
wheels have to be wide and flush against the body of the car. 18's just wont do it

Last edited by 5t341th; 07-16-10 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 02:29 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by hurricane
things i would do before any of that stuff
1)better tails-either leds or +01
2)+01 chrome grill( might have cant see front of car
3)better wheels
4)drop it
5)remove oem trunk spoiler (get jp spoiler if money is avail)
6)clear sidemarkers

get these basic things out the way before working about lighting .etc
Noted. Thanks.

I was thinking about the JP spoiler. I like that one a lot.

And my grill isn't chrome sadly-.- it's the black coated w/ the chrome Lexus emblem in front.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice/opinions on my plans from the O.G.'s in the VIP scene.