GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacing timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 03:09 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing timing belt

Do I really need the SST tool? I mean, I'll have access to a lift, impact gun, etc... I really need to get this job done this weekend and I do not have the SST tool. I've done several timing belts, to include one on an LS400 I used to own, so I'm pretty confident I can get this job done in one day.

Some people say it takes about 4 hours, others 8+. If you've done this before, can you post how long it took you and what difficulties did you encounter. I imagine the crank pulley bolt would be the main difficulty, but aside from this, any other?

Let me know guys.
Old 07-16-10, 03:11 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

no not really. should take about 5 hours maybe. its perdy much the same as the LS400 just.. it has VVTI cams n what not.
Old 07-16-10, 03:37 PM
maximus54
Driver

From what I have heard an impact gun sometimes can't get the crankshaft pulley bolt off. I just ordered everything today for timing belt service, and I ordered the crankshaft pully holder for $55 as well. It was worth it in my opinion.
Old 07-16-10, 06:45 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where do you get the pully holder from? Im in the same boat also
Im going to finish it tommorow Ill prolly post pictures and stuff speaking of whick im going to try to use the impact for the bolt right now ill let u know if i get it off
Old 07-16-10, 07:18 PM
maximus54
Driver

I ordered from eToolDirect. the tool is Schley 64300 Lexus/Toyota. SKU: SL64300
Old 07-16-10, 07:29 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

ok i got it off..
Compressor and 1/2 in impact gun was not doing it
Tried for awhile with it had sprayed some penetrating Pb blaster on it yesterday too still nothing, anyways i got it off by holding the pulley with a grip wrench and using a long breaker bar 1/2 in and then a jacks pole on top of the 1/2 in i applyed alot of pressure and just kinda kept it there and it started moving a little I was afraid if i put even more pressure it would have broke my 1/2 breaker bar
heres the tool i used
http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?...Number=2102549
Old 07-16-10, 08:53 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just buy the pulley holder tool. Makes short work of this job lol. I don't know if it's worth it you guys that do the timing belt once every 6-8yrs, but I work on cars all the time and the tool has paid for itself many times. The tool is $60-80 depending where you buy it.

If you're too cheap to buy the tool, then you can make your own. Just get a 3/8" or thicker steel plate, drill 2 holes in it in relation to where the 2 holes on the crank pulley is. Then weld on a steel bar to the plate. Wedge the bar between the frame of the car and it will do the same thing as the crank pulley holder tool. This is assuming you have a welder or access to one. I have a TIG welder so I can fab up special service tools at will whenever I need them
Old 07-17-10, 03:07 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

how many hours spent doing this? and how are you gonna torque the pulley back... guess it?

Last edited by sam430; 07-17-10 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-17-10, 12:29 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

is not about being cheap, is just that I do not have the time to wait for the tool. I'm moving to Japan in a week, so I'm having to do this for the person I sold the car to, I was going to do it anyways regardless, so I promised I would do it as part of the deal. I will start this tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have any problems. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-18-10, 10:40 AM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

it took me a total of 7 mins 3 mins filling the compressor and trying the impact then 4 mins getting it off with the strap rubber wrench
to torque it back I am going to do the same thing just in the opposite direction
Old 07-18-10, 12:55 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Is that on a V8 or on a 2JZ? The crank bolt is notorious for being insanely tight on the 2JZ, even from the factory. I think the harmonics of the engine or something causes the nut to tighten up over time while the engine is running.
Old 07-18-10, 03:03 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I guess the first thing am going to do before I try taking everything apart is to loosen up the crank nut, it'll save me some grief if it doesn't come off from the get go. By the way, I decided to wait until Thursday to do this job, want to have plenty of time to work on it just in case it takes longer than usual.
Old 07-19-10, 05:38 AM
dcz
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a friend help me by taking the belt and holding it only around the crank pully. Once he had a good hold on it, I had a breaker bar on the end of my wrench and hit it with a hammer. That knocked it loose. I am not saying that it would work every time, but thats something you could look at before you ordered the tool.

Also, the only real problem that I ran into was the amount of time it took putting the belt back on the gears up top and lining everything up. I marked everything, but getting the slack out of the belt between the two gears was a total pain for me. I had to have a friend hold the gears in place and turn them to where they were supposed to be while i put the belt on. Aside from that, I didnt think it was hard at all... just making sure you put everything back together correctly.

The job didnt take too long, but I do remember I had to loosen the alternator to make it a little easier if I recall correctly
Old 07-19-10, 01:48 PM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

thank you all for the replies. I normally don't ask too many questions cause I'm pretty confident of my abilities, it just that since I sold the car and promised to do the 90K service I want to do it right because I do not have much time.

I read something about the vvt-i cams needing some special or careful handling...I mean, I'm not planning on touching any of that unless necessary. So unless there's something other than making sure the timing marks align, should I be concern about anything else?

DCZ: did the cam sprockets spring back off line? based on your comment I believe they did. After you finished the job, did you think you could have done something different that could have made your job easier? Let me know. I'm hoping to knock this job out in one afternoon.
Old 07-21-10, 11:28 AM
JDMCelsior
Lead Lap

I have done it! It took me 6 hours to do it and about an hour trying to loosen up the crank pulley nut.
The impact gun the shop had was too weak and it kept moving the pulley, so I tried removing it with a breaker bar + cheater bar to no avail. Finally a friend of mine had a Snap on impact gun that did the trick...took 5 seconds to break it loose with that bad boy, lots of torque! Hope I can post pics of it soon so you'll see which one it is.

Other than this, everything else was straight forward. I thought it was easier than my CA18det engine. Anyhow, thanks to all that pitch in with their comments and what not.

Later!

Quick Reply: Replacing timing belt