GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

AC blows warm. (Tried searching)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10 | 02:47 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Default AC blows warm. (Tried searching)

Hey guys. So last night I took my car out for a quick run through some twisties (The new suspension is AMAZING!) with the AC on low. Anyways, today i started the car up and turned on the AC. It started blowing warm which it normally does for a few seconds and then it turns glaciar cold. Except today it kept blowing warm through all the settings.

I really dont know ANYTHING about AC's so I popped the hood to see if anything looked out of place/broken. Freon looks good no bubbles, compressor is turning yet the air is only blowing warm. Does anybody have any ideas of what this could be? I really dont want to have to take it to the stealership and have them bend me over for an expensive AC part.
Old 07-21-10 | 02:54 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

if the compressor is kicking in its usually the freon in my experience u think u hit sumthing and got a leak?
Old 07-21-10 | 03:33 PM
marus
Pole Position

freon refill..... its inexpensive...... you can actually buy it from autozone ($20 or so ..for the whole kit) and ask one of the associates to put it in for you if they can....... they normally have no problem with putting it in for you.
Old 07-21-10 | 04:24 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

What makes the freon go bad? It seems like overnight my car went from freezing AC to warm air.
Old 07-21-10 | 09:38 PM
marus
Pole Position

cars run out of freon every now and then ........ all cars do..... havent heard of a car who doesnt...... its a normal thing........ just refill your freon and let us know how everything turns out.......
Old 07-21-10 | 09:41 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marus
freon refill..... its inexpensive...... you can actually buy it from autozone ($20 or so ..for the whole kit) and ask one of the associates to put it in for you if they can....... they normally have no problem with putting it in for you.
hey i was wondering when you do this route dont u need like some kinda of pressure reader to figure out how much u put in?
Old 07-22-10 | 07:32 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Take it to a professional and have them do it. When they vacuum your freon out, make sure they leave it running for at least 15mins to make sure there isn't a leak in your system. Also, make sure they know the correct amount of freon to add back to your car. The most common mistake that people make is over filling because they either done know how much or don't have a gauge. GL
Old 07-22-10 | 08:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Hey guys. So last night I took my car out for a quick run through some twisties (The new suspension is AMAZING!) with the AC on low. Anyways, today i started the car up and turned on the AC. It started blowing warm which it normally does for a few seconds and then it turns glaciar cold. Except today it kept blowing warm through all the settings.

I really dont know ANYTHING about AC's so I popped the hood to see if anything looked out of place/broken. Freon looks good no bubbles, compressor is turning yet the air is only blowing warm. Does anybody have any ideas of what this could be? I really dont want to have to take it to the stealership and have them bend me over for an expensive AC part.
get someone qualified to put some gauges on them and get the pressure readings for me please

Originally Posted by toy4life86
if the compressor is kicking in its usually the freon in my experience u think u hit sumthing and got a leak?
JW,what experience is this?without the pressure readings its just speculations. if the compressor IS kicking on and its not getting cold, 90% of the time it does need a recharge BUT if it does you probably have a leak, they do make sealants BTW

Originally Posted by marus
dont recommend something that your not 100% sure it is....until you get the pressure readings you DONT know what its doing....BTW IF A SYSTEM IS OVERCHARGED IT WONT BLOW COOL EITHER

What makes the freon go bad? It seems like overnight my car went from freezing AC to warm air.
freon doesnt go bad per se, it does leak from time to time

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Take it to a professional and have them do it. When they vacuum your freon out, make sure they leave it running for at least 15mins to make sure there isn't a leak in your system. Also, make sure they know the correct amount of freon to add back to your car. The most common mistake that people make is over filling because they either done know how much or don't have a gauge. GL
x2 on taking it to a professional EXCEPT they shouldnt have to vacuum the freon out to add it. if its a simple refill, no reason to vacuum the system. yes the proper way to do it is recover it, vacuum it, blow nitrogen through it and look for leaks but 99% of HVAC people WILL NOT DO THIS. again you right on the most common mistakes though....alot of HVAC are lazy or stupid and dont do things right to save money or cause they dont know any better
Old 07-22-10 | 12:34 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to take it to a local mechanic and get the pressure readings. How much should i expect to pay for this?
Old 07-22-10 | 12:39 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to take it to a local mechanic and get the pressure readings. How much should i expect to pay for this?
well take it to a trusted mechanic first off. tell him whats going on, then ask him what he thinks and ask him to write down your pressures before and if he adds freon,also afterwards. i dunno what he'll charge, if you were local i would do it for free or atleast for a 6 pack of something good

GL keep us informed

Last edited by sakataj; 07-22-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-22-10 | 12:39 PM
poohunny
Rookie

did your a/c light start blinking? That happened to me recently when my air stopped blowing cold...followed by a hissing sound from the compressor area and eventually zero freon in the system without being able to hold a charge (and the front of the compressor seized so I can't even turn it by hand)....seems like AC problems are popping up all over!
Old 07-22-10 | 12:47 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by poohunny
did your a/c light start blinking? That happened to me recently when my air stopped blowing cold...followed by a hissing sound from the compressor area and eventually zero freon in the system without being able to hold a charge (and the front of the compressor seized so I can't even turn it by hand)....seems like AC problems are popping up all over!
you still haven't gotten yours fixed? you have a different issue...your compressor is seized....i dont think this is his issue although he hasnt stated if his compressor was coming on or not
Old 07-22-10 | 01:47 PM
CleanGS4
Pole Position

well i just got my freon refilled too not to long ago. maybe thats the way to go and see because its not expensive to do!
Old 07-22-10 | 01:53 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Well I took it too my buddy who's a mechanic to check things out. He said freon was a little low but couldn't get the pressure readings because his gauge wasn't working properly. He believes it is some sort of electrical issue since my compressor kicks I'm fine and freon is about normal. Do you guys have any idea would electrical problem could cause this? Once again thanks for the help. And sakataj if you lived closer I'd take you up on your offer!
Old 07-22-10 | 08:20 PM
GS_Louis
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same issue!
It was fine at one moment then 3 hours later no cold air came out, all i heard was a hissing noise coming from behind my dash when my A/C was on. I recharged it at work and bam it was nice and cool again, then an hour later it was warm again, so I'm suspecting I have a leak.

Quick Reply: AC blows warm. (Tried searching)