GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I need somemore opinions....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-02, 08:03 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need somemore opinions....

OK here it is.......

I have right now Borla'a SS oval's..... Sounds great....
I was wondering if I should go with a cat-back Greddy PE system?? Or something else of that caliper....
I need something that will give me some X-tra ponys....
I have a WR Intake also... But I really need my car to be awholelot quicker.... I knew I should have got the 400.....
Help.... And plus on top of that I called WR for there ECU and they said it is non-functional.... Who else makes a great ECU chip??? POWWER, I need POWWER.... I can't supercharge it till next year so please don't even mention it.... Thanks Guys....
Old 07-05-02, 08:25 PM
RacingAristo

I don't think switching from muffler to cat-back would give you many horses. Borla gives around 7 to 8 hp peak and I read some cat-back dyno off some mag, it gives around just a little bit more, 11 ~ 13 hp. Of course, when you switch, you know you will lose back pressure and your low end will suffer without proper ECU tuning. Exhausts are mainly for the look and sound on NA.

So WR ECU is not functional and they are still selling it on the web? There is a dyno on WR's website though....
Old 07-05-02, 08:27 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try the torquemaster spark plug, upgrade TC, and APex'i S-AFC or Greddy E-Manage.
Old 07-05-02, 08:35 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by LexusRules
try the torquemaster spark plug, upgrade TC, and APex'i S-AFC or Greddy E-Manage.
Sasha, What is the E-Manage?? ANd I know I should have a upgraded TC...

AS for the TM's to risky.... I don't want any pieces breaking for and F@#KING up my engine..... I have read some bad reviews on those TM's..........
Old 07-05-02, 08:38 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by RacingAristo
I don't think switching from muffler to cat-back would give you many horses. Borla gives around 7 to 8 hp peak and I read some cat-back dyno off some mag, it gives around just a little bit more, 11 ~ 13 hp. Of course, when you switch, you know you will lose back pressure and your low end will suffer without proper ECU tuning. Exhausts are mainly for the look and sound on NA.

So WR ECU is not functional and they are still selling it on the web? There is a dyno on WR's website though....

I know they have it up on there website and they Dynoed it for CL.. But it makes the car stall out..... They have to fix the bugs in it.... ANd if for some reason they can't there just going to give up on the whole GS ECU thing..... SO that leaves me looking for another company who can Make a great ECU that has the right #'s......
Old 07-05-02, 08:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

I honestly think the cheapest way for you to get power (if you're really into power) would be to sell the GS300 and get a used GS400 or 430.

The GS300 is a great car. There's no cheap mods (less than thousands and thousands for some turbo job which lots of people talk about but no one seems to do) that can make it considerably more powerful. An exhaust (even cat back) or Apexi computer (which could possibly destroy your engine if not used properly) isn't gonna give you much.

Sorry if that bursts your bubble, but I figure you'd prefer the scoop straight.
Old 07-05-02, 09:07 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Bit, I was waiting for you knowledge to come around.... But that's not what I wanted to hear..... Should I just go ahead and start making plans to SC it now?? I was figuring wait till next summer so at least I could use the Warranty till then....

But man, that I6 really sucks A$$..... It used to be alot quiker when I first got it I think..... I think it is deffinetly the DUB's... I think I'm going to down grade to some SSR GT3's...... 19'' ofcourse...
Old 07-05-02, 09:07 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

One more Question...... Who else makes a good ECU chip for the GS300??
Old 07-05-02, 09:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,438 Likes on 1,598 Posts

There is no 'good ECU chip' for the GS300. There's a replacement one from Jet (which no one on here has risked trying and Jet doesn't provide dynos for!) but I'm not sure if that's available for the GS300.

There Swift-Racing intake and piggyback ECU but again, that might only be for the v8's - not sure.

Yes, dubs on a GS300 is really gonna slow you down. And switching to 19s isn't going to help that much. Remember Lexus doesn't even offer the *17s* for the GS300 - only 16s.

And there's no supercharger for the GS300 either that I know of.

Sorry if that bums you out, but if big power is what you want, the GS300 isn't the way to go.

And honest, I'm not trying to knock the GS300 - it's a great car. Just not a rocket.

In Japan of course they offer a real fast twin-turbo version of the I6, but that wouldn't pass emissions restrictions here.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-05-02 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-05-02, 09:49 PM
RacingAristo

Area 51 has some supercharger for GS300 if you want to try it out.

XS Engineering can custom fabricate any turbo you want as long as you have $$$ and there is space under the hood.

When you get supercharger for you car, the company you get it from must have a retuned ECU otherwise your car will perform badly. My advice for you, start planning on the supercharger or swapping to 2JZ-GTE (much more potential but reliability issue increases). A cheap way to make your car faster, LOSE THOSE DUB!
Old 07-05-02, 09:51 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I know..... I've been going through my Hyper Rev magazine and it just makes me go MOD crazy..... I wish I could read Japanese......
Old 07-05-02, 09:52 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Hey I just remembered.... How about those Headers from MPH???
Old 07-05-02, 10:01 PM
Charles GReddy
Rookie

Originally posted by mrsypher

Sasha, What is the E-Manage?? ANd I know I should have a upgraded TC...

AS for the TM's to risky.... I don't want any pieces breaking for and F@#KING up my engine..... I have read some bad reviews on those TM's..........
e-Manage (piggy-back fuel computer)

Our new e-Manage is an inexpensive programmable fuel management system that allows you to properly tune your factory fuel system, without having to change the entire factory ECU system to an expensive "stand-alone" unit. The e-Manage system is a universal "piggy-back" type unit, which taps into most factory ECU wiring and it still utilizes the existing sensors. This unit works with motors up to 6 cyl. Basic functions will allow the user to slightly alter factory injector duty-cycle(± 20% at 5 preset RPM points), by intercepting and altering airflow or MAP sensor signals. For VTEC cars you can adjust the VTEC shift point.
Additional features that are built into the system, but are only accessible though the use of our PC-Windows based "e-Manage Support Tool" communication software (Please see our Authorized GReddy Support Dealers for more information) are a 16x16 Airflow Adjustmemt Map, Larger Main Injector correction adjustment, Upgrade Air Flow Meter adjustment, Boost Limiter Cut, Anti-engine Stall, VTEC-fuel adjustment, Real-time Map Trace, Real-time Display, Real-time Communication, and basic Data-logging.

With the use of our "Optional Injector Harness" and the software, the unit has the ability to control an additional 16x16 Injector duty cycle Map and the Controls for adding up to 2 Addional Sub-injectors. If the "Optional Ignition Harrness" and the software is used the unit has the ability to control a 16x16 Ignition Timing Map. All of the above Maps can also be Map-traced in Real-time as well. If the factory range of Map or Airflow meter is surpassed, you can incorperate our "Optional GReddy Pressure Sensor and Pressue Harness" to set larger scales of ajustment.

All installation and tuning should only be made by a trained techntion with proper Air/Fuel Monitoring tools.

i hope this helps..
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-02, 10:04 PM
Charles GReddy
Rookie

Originally posted by mrsypher
One more Question...... Who else makes a good ECU chip for the GS300??
No company has 100% craked the factory ECU. So for the moment they only thing out there are the piggy back units.
Old 07-05-02, 10:12 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Gotcha..... I think i might look into the Greddy..... CAn I expect any help from you Charles??

Quick Reply: I need somemore opinions....