GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

First Gen Blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-02 | 11:35 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default First Gen Blinkers

well now that my front blinker is cleared and my rear blinker orange inside removed i decided to change the bulbs inside. i ordered some Polargs M-14 for the front and Polargs M-9 for the rear.

Rear:
Dam i am more than satisfied with these lights. the blinkers are crystal white and a bit blinding but not tooo tooo bright. they look very good with the red brake lights.

Front:
the Front are white but i'm not too happy with them. they are not bright enough. they don't look too good on my car because i have HID's in my low beam so they make my corners looks pale. but when the blinkers are on they are bright. if anyone wants to buy my front bulbs for there 93-97 first generation GS i will sell them for 20 bucks shipped. i bought them for 15 dollars each. i just installed them today and only had them on for about 5 minutes and i removed it because it didn't hatch my HID's.

Overall:
i'm loving the back of my car. looks very good. Front looking good but i'll stick to the orange until i can find a better match or more blue bulb to match my HID kit from suvlights.com.

Next: i like this brand name soo much i'm going to install side markers with these same bulbs in there too and really give the people behind and next to me a head ache. HAHAHA

Side note: i was outside and i turned on my emergency blinker to see how bright they are. my rear are so bright it lit up the front of a car that was parked about 5 cars length behind me. haha
Old 07-06-02 | 02:20 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

So you did go ahead and remove the orange from the rear, I looked at it and it didn't look that easy and didn't want to mess them up hopw did you do it? I want to remove the orange and put red bulbs in to match the brake lights. Got any pics?
Old 07-06-02 | 06:23 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

sorry bro i don't have any pics but if someone is around the 310 area and wants to take pics of my car they are more than willing to. i will even meet them somewhere.

it was very simple. took about 30 minutes a side. after you remove the rear light you just need a heatgun to open up the housing. after that there is 2 screws that hold the orange in. just remove the 2 screws and seal it back up.
Old 07-06-02 | 09:37 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Jmai22
sorry bro i don't have any pics but if someone is around the 310 area and wants to take pics of my car they are more than willing to. i will even meet them somewhere.

it was very simple. took about 30 minutes a side. after you remove the rear light you just need a heatgun to open up the housing. after that there is 2 screws that hold the orange in. just remove the 2 screws and seal it back up.

SO you remove just the middle rectangle piece, use a heat gun on the very outside edge of the entire assembly? And then it comes apart, remove 2 screws and then seal it. What did you use to seal it, can you see where you sealed it, does it look noticeable? Thanks for your help!
Old 07-06-02 | 09:59 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mcnelson

SO you remove just the middle rectangle piece, use a heat gun on the very outside edge of the entire assembly? And then it comes apart, remove 2 screws and then seal it. What did you use to seal it, can you see where you sealed it, does it look noticeable? Thanks for your help!
i don't know what you mean by "you remove just the middle rectangular piece."

here is what you do. remove the outer break light assembly. the one with the turn blinker. then you use a heat gun all the way around the whole housing to get it to open. kinda tricky. or you can do it the lazy way and stick it in the oven at 350 degree's for 10 minutes. and it softens up the seal. after you open it you will see 2 small screws holding in the orange lens just remove that. to seal it back up scrape out all the old silicon and go to home depot and buy some black or clear silicon and fill that baby up and use clamps or stacks of books to seal it tight. put a big stack of books on the housing and leave it for about 15 minutes to dry.
Old 07-09-02 | 08:30 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Alright I tried to do my rear with the heatgun but managed to make 3 minor cracks in one of the taillights. I said ***** it before I broke it more and just installed the red bulbs I bought because I wanted originally to clear the tail and put red bulbs for red blinkers. So they blink red really well, but the only thing now is during the day you still see the slight orange reflection of the plastic. But at least it is just a reflection and you don't see the actual orange plastic. The bulbs look great at night and match the rest of the tails very well!
Old 07-09-02 | 09:59 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

sorry to hear about that. you were probly not heating it enough or in the wrong place. the way i did it was i heated the entire top part of the housing first. where the flat area is. and when that side opened i just stuck a big flat head screw driver in there and kept pressure opening it constant. after that i would do the bottom of the housing. after the entire flat area is out. you heat up that curve area. the outpart of the car. that part doesn't fold out. it comes straight out towards the flat area. i cracked mine a little too before i realized the direction i had to pull.