GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

project: Silver Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 01:26 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default project: Silver Surfer

I picked up my 2GS in March this year, and until this past week, I haven't done much modding. Was primarily taking care of the important issues, like maintenance and such.

During that time, however, I laid the goals for the ride and here is how she sits now after getting thru some...

-Tanabe DF210 (V8 spec springs which gives a little bit of a lower drop)
--Stock Struts
-18% tints all around
-GS400 17's on 225/45/17 tires (anyone have center caps?)

overall, it rides great...the tires do suck though and I think I'm starting to hear the bearings on the driver side, which will be the next thing to address along with stiffening up the suspension some more

car should go a little lower since the springs still need to settle some...very pleased with the look these springs gave

what do you all think...
Old 07-24-10, 01:36 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Congrats on the new ride. You should post in the WTB (want to buy) section for the center caps. I'm sure there are tons of sets available.
Old 07-24-10, 01:43 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Very nice! Glad you took care of the maintenance before you started modding. And your stance looks pretty good too.
Old 07-24-10, 06:54 PM
Chumacher
Lead Lap

Looks good. You should get wider tires tho. I have 245/45/17 on mine.
Old 07-24-10, 07:06 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Real nice...I know for a fact there was at least one person trying to offload a set of center caps in the Wheels and Tires Classifieds forum. I can't remember the guy's name but I almost bought them just to have them around. Nice car and good luck with the mods!
Old 07-25-10, 05:04 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Very nice! Glad you took care of the maintenance before you started modding. And your stance looks pretty good too.
thx...yeah, maintenance is always my first intention with any car I purchase. makes no sense to star modding if the car isn't running right IMO

Originally Posted by Chumacher
Looks good. You should get wider tires tho. I have 245/45/17 on mine.
i got these tires at a real good price when I purchased, i did venture into 235/45 and 245/45 but the price difference where about $15-20 per tire. the 225/45 setup isn't to bad, its just the unexpected road noise that came with these specific tires. plus I intend to get some better aftermarket, really made no sense for me to jump on more expensive tires when these wheels won't be on for long.

but for stock wheels with this tire setup, they look good and hopefully I'm able to get some aftermarket ones really soon. i already have my mind zoned in on a set

Originally Posted by veritek
Looks good. Congrats on the new ride. You should post in the WTB (want to buy) section for the center caps. I'm sure there are tons of sets available.
thx...yeah, i'll set up one now

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Real nice...I know for a fact there was at least one person trying to offload a set of center caps in the Wheels and Tires Classifieds forum. I can't remember the guy's name but I almost bought them just to have them around. Nice car and good luck with the mods!
thx

Last edited by baddis es; 07-25-10 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-25-10, 09:51 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Factory tire size on those wheels are 235/45/17. Also 245/40/17 is another option.
Old 01-09-11, 01:26 PM
jonathan7
Driver School Candidate

got any pic son how ypur car looks now ?
Old 01-09-11, 05:15 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

not much has changed other than settling about .5"...i'll snap some pix and post

btw, if I come across some pro-kits...these may be up for sale
Old 01-09-11, 07:57 PM
wcgorillaz
Driver

Nice ride bro just dump it now
Old 01-09-11, 10:46 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice start. I'd recommend you get some sport shocks....cuz oem shocks aren't intended for lowering springs. Bilsteins and Kyb are the popular choices.

Btw...eibachs prokits are good...but dont the rears tend to sit lower than the fronts?
Old 01-30-12, 11:55 AM
gslexs
Driver School Candidate

baddis es,
Which df210s did you buy? I've been trying to find out if i could use the ones that are refrenced for the gs400 since they give you more of a drop. Is that what you did?
Old 01-30-12, 03:38 PM
veritek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PHML
Nice start. I'd recommend you get some sport shocks....cuz oem shocks aren't intended for lowering springs. Bilsteins and Kyb are the popular choices.

Btw...eibachs prokits are good...but dont the rears tend to sit lower than the fronts?
This is the truth!!! The stock shocks will blow out soon after you get lowering springs, especially with cars as heavy as ours. Eibachs do tend to sit lower in the rear. Bilsteins will give you a great ride in my experience, but in the end, if you go with Bilsteins and Eibachs, you are not too far off from the price of coilovers I think.
Old 01-30-12, 04:08 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im liking the minor progress so far...car looks good and remember no rush...step by step until satisfied
Old 01-30-12, 07:45 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Overall I love how it's starting and looks great.

Just a tad bit of my 2 cents though and opinion.. You should have just gone with coilovers over the spring/strut combo. In the end they will cost about the same, so it's usually more efficient on your pocket and time (maybe not now, but in the long run) to just get coilovers from the start.

Either way good start and keep it up.

Quick Reply: project: Silver Surfer