GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How to get rid of the "hyper flash" from installing LED turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 04:24 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Because they're much more classy looking, brings the GS up a decade, look bad *** when flashing, the color is more vibrant...

Anyone want to add more?

If you're not a car guy, you cant understand...
Old 08-27-16, 09:39 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Because they're much more classy looking, brings the GS up a decade, look bad *** when flashing, the color is more vibrant...

Anyone want to add more?

If you're not a car guy, you cant understand...
They are behind a colored lens! I am a car guy and it makes zero sense to replace bulbs that are behind a colored lens. A lot of the LED "upgrades" make the car look like it's been Pep Boy'd out! LOL
Old 08-27-16, 04:48 PM
maverick77
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bruceb58
I am curious. Why do you guys even bother replacing the turn signal lights with LEDs?
Here... check out this video of the difference between an OEM Halogen turn signal vs leds.

I just installed led turn signals in my GS after I switched my rear tail lights to the Braga Type 3.

The leds are brighter than stock OEM - just look at the light reflecting off the bumper and you'll see that the leds are brighter than the stock oem bulbs.
The leds respond much faster by lighting up much faster than the OEM
The leds have a much sharper and cleaner on-off-on-off, whereas the oem halogen bulbs have a more fade-on fade-off look to the light.
Old 08-27-16, 06:30 PM
Ava92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good bro

Last edited by Ava92; 08-27-16 at 07:02 PM. Reason: searched lol
Old 08-27-16, 07:19 PM
maverick77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ava92
Looks good bro
I didn't use resistors for the leds, I don't like how messy the wiring gets with resistors, i prefer to keep it looking clean so instead I used a LED relay. It was a pain in the a** to put in, but for me, to keep the wiring looking clean, it's worth it.

Actually, I'll probably do a write up to this thread with some pictures about the relays awith some more details of the install later next week, but suffice it to say, in the end I had to get a relay with the adjustable speed to make it work.

Here's the relay I got off eBay: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/171864713264?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 08-27-16, 10:42 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maverick77
I just installed led turn signals in my GS after I switched my rear tail lights to the Braga Type 3.

The leds are brighter than stock OEM - just look at the light reflecting off the bumper and you'll see that the leds are brighter than the stock oem bulbs.
The leds respond much faster by lighting up much faster than the OEM
The leds have a much sharper and cleaner on-off-on-off, whereas the oem halogen bulbs have a more fade-on fade-off look to the light.
Personally, I like the fade in and out of course it's really what the people behind care for and not me since I don't even see the darn things LOL.
Old 08-29-16, 12:38 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Instant on-off, last longer then incandescent bulbs (depending on the bulb you get), brighter then stock (depending on the bulb you get).

Steve
Old 08-29-16, 04:31 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Instant on-off, last longer then incandescent bulbs (depending on the bulb you get), brighter then stock (depending on the bulb you get).

Steve
LOL...my 2005 with 194K has the original bulbs. If I have to replace the set of turn signal bulbs once in my car's lifetime, I will be equal to the number of times people will change their turn signals to LEDs.

Don't get me wrong, I love LEDs especially for my house, boat and RV where saving power is a concern. I just think people go a little overboard.

I can't wait for the fad that Audi started with the rim of LEDs around the headlight. Probably the dumbest fad I have ever seen.
Old 08-30-16, 01:39 PM
maverick77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bruceb58
LOL...my 2005 with 194K has the original bulbs. If I have to replace the set of turn signal bulbs once in my car's lifetime, I will be equal to the number of times people will change their turn signals to LEDs.

Don't get me wrong, I love LEDs especially for my house, boat and RV where saving power is a concern. I just think people go a little overboard.

I can't wait for the fad that Audi started with the rim of LEDs around the headlight. Probably the dumbest fad I have ever seen.
You've had good experience with your signal bulbs then bruceb58... from my experience not so much. For about 15 years, I had company leased cars, mainly domestics (Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc....) The leases were 3 years at a time and I can tell you I had to replace the turn signal bulbs on each and every car regardless of brand or model at least twice before I returned them and I drove about 85,000KM (53,000Miles) on each car during the 3 years that I had each car. So besides the awesome way LEDs looks, you can see my point of switching over to LEDs from my experience just from a longevity point of view.

But in the end.... To each their own.... enough said!
Old 08-30-16, 03:24 PM
maverick77
Driver School Candidate

Ok... so as I was searching the web for info on how and where to find the flasher relay on our 2GSs, I could hardly find anything and hardly anyone that discussed this until I came upon this thread... however, even this thread did little to nothing to shed light on how to go about changing the relay to get rid of the "hyper" flashing when we switch over to LED signal lights.

Lots of people prefer to use resistors and wire them in with their light bulb's wiring, but I find that way to messy, then you have to find where to place the resistor in a place that allows it to be cooled properly, etc... I prefer a cleaner, more OEM look when in comes to wiring so I prefer to change out the flasher relay in the car. I've done this in my cars before with great results and success.

So here's my experience and "instructions" as to where, how and what you need to do to get rid of the "hyper" flashing on the LED turn signals using a flasher relay.

Part #1 is the Flasher Relay and this diagram helps give you an idea where the relay is located. Basically, the relay is mounted to a fuse block in the driver side foot well, right behind the left foot rest plate.

Here's a pic of the relays.... not sure what happened to the first relay I used, probably defective, but it only worked some times to eliminate the "hyper" flash. The last and final one I used is the last one on the right with the speed adjustment ****. I got the LED relays from eBay... just search for "Lexus LED flasher relay 81980-50030" and lots should show up! They're about $10-$15USD.

Now, here's a pic of where the flasher relay is located in the driver side foot well. This is right at the very back of the foot well against the firewall. You can see from the picture that the relay is mounted at the top of the tan colored fuse block which is mounted against the inside of the driver side fender wall. There's not a lot of space in here as you can see from the picture because the relay is right in between the back side of the foot brake cable and this huge bundle of wiring that's coming into the cabin from the engine compartment thru the firewall. You could stick your head in here and work on this, but basically you're going to have to work by feel when you are working on this.

Because the relay is clipped into the fuse block, you're gonna have to use a flathead screwdriver tip and wedge it in between the relay and the fuse block. Then, once you've got the blade in there, push the tip of the blade up to unlock the clip to free the relay, then with the tip of the screwdriver blade, slowly and gently pry the relay outwards enough so it clears the clip. Now, you have to reach in and pull the relay off it's mount. Be careful not to pull very hard, because the connector and the wiring behind it does not have a lot of slack and you don't want to pull out or damage the wiring.

So now that you've got the relay unmounted, you'll need to disconnect it from the connector that's on the back. As like all electrical connectors, there is a little tab that you can press in/down that will release the clip, this one is no different. The pic above shows the connector after I've taken off the relay and at the very bottom, you can see the small push tab to push in to release the clip so the relay can come out. This part I basically did all by feel with my right hand. I sat on the ground with my back against the door sill and reached into this area with my right hand to feel for the relay, then with your fingers feel around to the back of the relay where it's connected to this connector and feel along the bottom for this release tab to push it in while at the same time, pulling on the relay housing to pull it away from the connector. I spent some time doing this so patience is needed!

After getting the stock one out, it's just basically doing everything in reverse to put it back together.

All that's left is to adjust the speed at which you like your signal lights to flash with the adjustment **** on your new LED Relay and you are all set!

I hope this helps you out when you want to switch your turn signals to LEDs and want to get rid of the "hyper" flashing without using the resistors. Message me or reply to this thread if you have questions!
Old 08-30-16, 06:35 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the great write up, it's really helpful. I haven't gone all led on the back, but I'm very happy with my smoked Spyder inner tails. Just don't want to spend the money on the full boat thing. Good safety feature these days with tailgaters who like to hang off your back bumper.
Old 08-30-16, 06:43 PM
Advil4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

great wright up defenatly helped me out
Old 08-31-16, 12:40 PM
maverick77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MattyG
Thanks for the great write up, it's really helpful. I haven't gone all led on the back, but I'm very happy with my smoked Spyder inner tails. Just don't want to spend the money on the full boat thing. Good safety feature these days with tailgaters who like to hang off your back bumper.
Yea... the Spyder inners are pretty nice. I had contemplated getting the full set of the Spyder outer and inner tail lights until I came across the Braga Type 3 led tails, it was love at first sight and not even the steep $500USD price tag was enough to stop me from getting them. I did have the OEM halogen turn signals in there for a little while after putting in the Braga, but having led turn signals in my other cars, it wasn't long before I couldn't resist switching over to the leds on the GS as well. Glad you liked the write-up hope it helps you out when it's your turn for led turn signals.
Old 08-31-16, 02:10 PM
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Great wright up. This need to be in the DIY page or link for a future members.

I suscribe
Old 08-31-16, 03:32 PM
maverick77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mcon
Great wright up. This need to be in the DIY page or link for a future members.

I suscribe
Thanks Mcon! I've gotten DaveGS4 to link this thread to the 2GS DIY page now.

Quick Reply: How to get rid of the "hyper flash" from installing LED turn signal?