GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Warning: MODS can Tarnish your Relationship

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-02, 08:11 PM
Synergy
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adapter

Does anyone know if they make adapters for a 2000 Honda Accord 4dr that can convert the OEM 4 lugs to accomodate stock GS400 17" 5 lug wheels? If so, where can I get such an adapter?

I know, I know, I know, why in the hell would I want to do this? Well to make a long story short - I dropped 34K a couple weeks back on a GS4 and I am getting ready to drop some more cash on new wheels. Well, my fiancee' is giving me a ton of heat for spending sooo much $$ and maybe some nice 17" wheels would keep her happy for a week or so.

I can only imagine how Manaray is going to respond with on this thread Look, I PROMISE to get HONDA stickers to replace the Lexus center caps....

I'm sure you guys can feel my pain with MOD'S and wives viewpoints regarding them.

Thanks for the help!

--

Last edited by Synergy; 07-07-02 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-08-02, 12:13 AM
kodai
Driver

Your not even married and she is already on your *** about money towadrs you car. Not a good sign if you need to buy her off with a set of wheels. Good luck with your realationship.
Old 07-08-02, 07:20 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sell the wheels

Better off selling the old wheels and getting her some jewelry..if she's into it (most girls are) you can get her something pretty nice and you'll come out if looking like a hero.
Old 07-08-02, 07:33 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I agree If she is on you now wait until you marry her!!! If I was you I would put my foot down now, so when you get married she already knows the deal...... I wish I had done that, because the wife tells me this everytime I buy something for the ride. (why you have to buy that! your ride already has nice wheels!) And what makes it so bad is that we have the money to buy it , its just she doesn't understand why.
Old 07-08-02, 08:12 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

I look at it like this, if it is YOUR money buying those mods, car, house or whatever, then spend it how you want. It is your hard work, spend it as you want!
Old 07-08-02, 09:29 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tell her that all the mods increase the cars value when you go to sell it Not that your going to sell it but that ought to hush her up for a while and let you get back to dropping cash.
Old 07-08-02, 10:17 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

this is what i do:

slowly inform and show her the "beauty" of a personalized modded car...it worked for me as my babe now really appreciate and admire a finely tuned car...and i promise her i will equip the car just the way she likes it next time when we get her a new ride..

in your case, i agree with johnny, sell the 17s, and pick up something she truly like.. hopefully it would keep her happy for more than a week...good luck
Old 07-08-02, 12:20 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default Relationships

from one who has been married to one beautiful and wonderful woman for almost forty years, relationships are full of compromises. Buy the lady of your dreams a RWD vehicle, she'll love you for it.
Old 07-08-02, 12:24 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

thankfully, my girlfriend doesn't care about cars. She can give a rats a$$ about 20's and that it's a lexus. Which in a sense is a good thing. PLUS she can drive stick (little neon that she drives).

So she doesn't mind me throwing on a set of 20's.

But word of advice (2 actually):
1. If she isn't gonna accept that it's your hobby and it's what YOU like to do, tell her to get a life.
2. Don't ever get big rims for women(just the ones that know anything about cars), nothing above 18's. Why? Because if you want your wheels in one piece I suggest you just don't do it.
Old 07-08-02, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

my gf is cool too. she didn't bother much with my mods coz' she knew i won't spend "stupid" money on stuff that's not worth it... now i have started modding my car for a yr, she's into it too and now sometimes she comes and tell me what we should get :eek: :eek:

btw we have been together for like 7 yrs, so.... she's gonna be my woman
Old 07-08-02, 08:50 PM
Synergy

Talking

Thanks for the advise guys! She is pretty cool with the mods, I mean I have always tricked out my cars from BMW to my recent SC, she knows the drill.

She just has mentioned it in the past that she would like some 17's on her Accord and I figured that the GS 17's might be a pleasant surprise for her when she gets back from her business trip.

Good suggestion on the jewelry, however she has enough jewelry and a very nice diamond on her finger (hmmm I could have purchased 3 sets of chrome Lowenharts...)

So there is no real adapter for a four to five lug, huh?

--
Old 07-08-02, 11:53 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by jpa2400
I look at it like this, if it is YOUR money buying those mods, car, house or whatever, then spend it how you want. It is your hard work, spend it as you want!
I would venture that you are not married or will not be for long. The trick is to set aside at least twice as much money as you want to spend, 1/2 for you, 1/2 for her. When I got my GS she was perfectly happy driving her minivan. Less than a year later she decided she wanted a lexus, also. She's now driving an LX. Now every time I mod the car we mod the house. If only the market would come back....
Old 07-09-02, 01:25 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With and adapter, I doubt the wheels would fit...it would most likely stick out...tell her to spend her own money modding her own car...WTF? Since when is it YOUR responsibility to mod someone else's car? Even if she is your future wife?

Hehhee...like everyone said, wait until it's legal and your married...then you'll be driving the Honda and she'll have the Lexus....

psss....get out while you can...

Luckily, the only girfriend that I've had that was into modding her car was able to afford to mod her own car...the others just didn't give a damn...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-09-02 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-09-02, 07:34 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

"I would venture that you are not married or will not be for long. The trick is to set aside at least twice as much money as you want to spend, 1/2 for you, 1/2 for her. When I got my GS she was perfectly happy driving her minivan. Less than a year later she decided she wanted a lexus, also. She's now driving an LX. Now every time I mod the car we mod the house. If only the market would come back"

Naw, I waited to find someone who minded her own business And also, someone with a degree and could hold her own in terms of money so she wasn't looking for me to support her spending habits. Although a marriage is a compromise, no one should tell you what to do. I feel bad for those who WORK HARD and have to come home and ask for permission to buy something for their car with the money THEY earned...

Also about the market coming back, ever see the movie Wall Street? “every bull market has it’s quick buck artist, only the real players make it during a bear market” something like that anyway. There is always money to be made in the market. I just posted something about stocks in the lobby. I asked if anyone is writing options(or even trading them?) no matter what the market is doing you can always make money

Last edited by jpa2400; 07-09-02 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-09-02, 05:49 PM
Synergy

I think I will just axe the adapter idea and just take her to dinner in my awesome new GS400

--

Quick Reply: Warning: MODS can Tarnish your Relationship