GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SRT Race ECU Is For Real

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-02 | 09:36 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Default SRT Race ECU Is For Real

Listen, if you have read my other posts you will know I have had a slight problem with the installation on my new Race ECU from Swift. Mo, the crew and I have more or less isolated the problem but I was still able to try out the chip versus my old SRT high flow chip. The difference, for me, is night and day.
Why? Let me tell you. You know how when you mash the accelerator and the car will bog (GS 400/430), regardless of chip, TC people aside? Well, I can lay a patch down with VSC off and NO brake torquing. Also, I even chirp for a split second with VSC engaged and NO brake torquing.
The power is obvious all the way through what I tried, which was up to 70 mph. Now, keep in mind, I swapped out both chips and did back to back to back to back comparisons (memory dumped each time and relearned).
I am highly impressed with how SRT responded to our concerns and put this chip out. They deserve major props for producing.
I will slam anybody, SRT notwithstanding, for not living up to their claims or promises-this is one case where there is simply not hype for a great upgrade. Bravo!
To note, I'm running Borla exhaust, SRT intake/Race ECU, and Torquemaster plugs with stock seventeens and no stereo equipment mods.
Old 07-07-02 | 09:40 PM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: SRT Race ECU Is For Real

Originally posted by fever
Listen, if you have read my other posts you will know I have had a slight problem with the installation on my new Race ECU from Swift. Mo, the crew and I have more or less isolated the problem but I was still able to try out the chip versus my old SRT high flow chip. The difference, for me, is night and day.
Why? Let me tell you. You know how when you mash the accelerator and the car will bog (GS 400/430), regardless of chip, TC people aside? Well, I can lay a patch down with VSC off and NO brake torquing. Also, I even chirp for a split second with VSC engaged and NO brake torquing.
The power is obvious all the way through what I tried, which was up to 70 mph. Now, keep in mind, I swapped out both chips and did back to back to back to back comparisons (memory dumped each time and relearned).
I am highly impressed with how SRT responded to our concerns and put this chip out. They deserve major props for producing.
I will slam anybody, SRT notwithstanding, for not living up to their claims or promises-this is one case where there is simply not hype for a great upgrade. Bravo!
To note, I'm running Borla exhaust, SRT intake/Race ECU, and Torquemaster plugs with stock seventeens and no stereo equipment mods.
Glad to hear it! Kudos to SRT!

Now...if only there was some special retrofit program for all the current SRT ECU owners that do not have the race ECU...that would be nice.

Brent
Old 07-07-02 | 09:41 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Fever,

I'll echo your post. I have before/after dynos that I just haven't had time to format and post yet that will show it; there is a definite low/mid range tweak in the new Race ECU.

Nice job Mo and Marken.
Old 07-07-02 | 11:03 PM
GS3InPhx
Pole Position

I am going to be looking for an ECU upgrade for my car soon, should I also get the "race ecu from SRT?" Any info would be appreciated! I did see the one that came as an Intake/ECU upgrade package together.??
Old 07-08-02 | 02:06 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

Ya gotta get em both. They work together.
Old 07-08-02 | 10:23 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I have the same setup Iwas one of the first to get it and yes it does make a difference between the two ECUs. I also think there is some kind of special going on at SRT, but not a 100% sure. Call Mo or Marken and see if they have a special swap out for the old with the NEW ECU.
Old 07-08-02 | 10:37 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Also, think of the most obvious difference as this:
the car is jumpy from 0 mph, whereas before it was not. They really cured this problem.
Old 07-08-02 | 11:16 AM
kjhouston
Rookie

So how much do each of these ECU's cost? And is install easy enough for a non techy kind of guy?
Old 07-08-02 | 11:24 AM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by kjhouston
So how much do each of these ECU's cost? And is install easy enough for a non techy kind of guy?
Yes its very easy it comes with very detailed directions. I am a techy guy but I know its easy. I think its 4 or 5 wires one being the piggy back.
Old 07-08-02 | 11:47 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default Two questions...

First, are you saying that just the SRT Race ECU (plus intake) takes care of the hesitation that the GS4 has at launch similar to (but I imagine less pronouncedly so than) the torque converter? If so, which would you recommend for someone wanting more of that low-end punch, the SRT ECU/Intake or the torque converter?

Second, for those of you who've put either the ECU/Intake or the TC on your still-under-warranty cars, how has your warranty dealer reacted? I'm still afraid to do anything other than L-Tuned mods because I don't want my warranty to be declared null-and-void. And yes, I know that technically the dealer has to prove it was the mod that caused a problem to dismiss my warranty, but I really don't want to have to go through any crap if something happens.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-02 | 12:17 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Default Re: Two questions...

Originally posted by SCWells72
First, are you saying that just the SRT Race ECU (plus intake) takes care of the hesitation that the GS4 has at launch similar to (but I imagine less pronouncedly so than) the torque converter? If so, which would you recommend for someone wanting more of that low-end punch, the SRT ECU/Intake or the torque converter?

Second, for those of you who've put either the ECU/Intake or the TC on your still-under-warranty cars, how has your warranty dealer reacted? I'm still afraid to do anything other than L-Tuned mods because I don't want my warranty to be declared null-and-void. And yes, I know that technically the dealer has to prove it was the mod that caused a problem to dismiss my warranty, but I really don't want to have to go through any crap if something happens.

Thanks!
Yes, the Race ECU/intake solved the hesitation issue. I don't have a TC so it really isn't fair for me to judge. But, it sure as heck tempered my desire to add a TC after I felt the difference with the Race ECU. I will feel a lot better about going with a suspension upgrade versus TC.
As far as your warranty is concerned, well, that's tough. My advice is to get to know your dealership and contact people; stick with the same people. They have never bothered me about any issues and I'm running different plugs, exhaust, intake/ecu. It's still a small gamble if you mod under warranty but worth it imho if you do your research and trust the vendor you buy from.

Last edited by fever; 07-08-02 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-08-02 | 01:10 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

I heard something about TorqueMaster Plugs.... and let me say this .... it wasnt Good...

What do you have to say about the plugs so far???

Dont wany anything thats risky..... after all it is a lexus.... im not gonna choose Performance over Reliability....

And im sure we all can agree with that....

Last edited by CamRen; 07-08-02 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-08-02 | 01:18 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: Two questions...

Between the two mods, the TC makes the biggest difference at low end. I have both - TC, definitely wins.

I had the opportunity last weekend to pull off the line with another member with SRT intake, but no TC and I pulled away from him pretty hard off the line. On the highway we were dead even.

I've never had problems, but have had a couple of comments. The TC is a much less noticible mod than the intake/ECU, so unless they put it in they probably won't even know it's there.
Old 07-08-02 | 02:14 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Camren, check the engine section for this. The bad you heard was probably relating to the Mazda's race prepared blown rotaries. Different plug altogether.
I am ultra satisfied with my plugs. Scope out the recent dyno done by Gene.

Originally posted by CamRen
I heard something about TorqueMaster Plugs.... and let me say this .... it wasnt Good...

What do you have to say about the plugs so far???

Dont wany anything thats risky..... after all it is a lexus.... im not gonna choose Performance over Reliability....

And im sure we all can agree with that....
Old 07-08-02 | 02:51 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Two questions...

Originally posted by DaveGS4

I had the opportunity last weekend to pull off the line with another member with SRT intake, but no TC and I pulled away from him pretty hard off the line.
damn hard, dave if i hadnt have warped my brakes on that serious braking maneuver, i would have ordered the TC this morning. but alas, i must now get some new brakes. bang for the buck, the TC does the damn thang

Doc

Quick Reply: SRT Race ECU Is For Real