GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The Anti-Bling Grill

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-02, 08:33 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know my temperament, guys. I was trying to be nice and not flame. It's clear to me that Manaray has good taste and I agree with most of his direction.
However, when he goes off an a stinking chrome grill that has been done for decades on the most conservative cars, then I have a problem. Gimme a break and relax on the holier than thou 'manaray styling tips'.
I'm not pissed but it's growing old.

Old 07-09-02, 01:09 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just think that too much chrome looks ugly. It's one thing if the car came factory with a chrome grille. Like some older cars, but when you start adding excessive chrome, it starts to look a little "East Los Angeles" if you know what I'm talking about. On some cars (like an old Impala), chrome grilles and some trim look great (hell, chrome Daytons look great on an Impala...but would you put that on your GS?), but when you start taking that mentality and applying it modern day cars...well....I'm sure everyone remembers that SC with the "interesting" paint job and wire wheels......

Hey, if you don't like my styling tips, don't read 'em. You can always follow NY Wizard's styling tips if you like...
Old 07-09-02, 02:31 PM
fever
Lead Lap

I suppose you think Mercedes' optional metal/chrome grill on the SLK 32 is bad? How about the new Thunderbird? Hmm, how about an '03 Aston Martin?
Get my point, Manaray? Do you think these cars look 'bling' and suck ***?
Christ, you act like you're *****in' Ralph Lauren sometimes.
And let's not hyperbolize the issue by suggesting that I subscribe to NY Wizard's idiocy.

Last edited by fever; 07-09-02 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-09-02, 02:50 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

there is a very fine line between having a chrome grill etc. and the stylings of NYWIZARD, now I am offended.Look, Manaray you have one of the nicest GS's I have seen to date, and I know you have a lot of "followers" on this site.Anytime someone disagrees with you its always followed by someone saying "ooh go easy on them manaray" and things of that nature, but oh well, I am disagreeing. I also know you posses alot of knowledge, of which I personaly have benefited from in the past ( about TEIN coilovers and wheels). I realize you dont like chrome in any shape or form ( except on Impalas ) but some people do like it.Yeah its heavy, we know.But you are always associating chrome with things like , and I quote,
"East L.A., rappers" saying that bling-bling "sucks". Well, thats a stereotype that I take offense to.Of course I would love some HRE's but thats not possible right now.I am proud of what I have on my car, and you as a "fellow GS enthusiast" should respect that, am I wrong? You say " if you dont like my styling tips dont read them" well I personaly do read them and everybody elses(except NYWIZARDS) because I have gotten alot of great ideas off this site. But I take offense when you talk down about "people who have chrome rims etc." If you dont like it , there are ways of stating it without offending other members.
If you go off on me like it appears you will than oh well, but I am not gonna just sit here and read post after post of condescending comments about how I choose to style my car.
Old 07-09-02, 03:49 PM
TQM_V8
Driver School Candidate

Coming out of the flames and back to the grill----I like what you did, Dex. I recently also painted my stock grill a gloss black. I used laquer paint instead of enamel-it seems to hang in there better and chip less. Just my thoughts. It's funny, I was thinking what a monochrome scheme would look like with my green GS (green grill). I know BMW has made that work pretty well in the past. Oh well, maybe someone else can try and post pictures

TQM_V8
Old 07-09-02, 04:26 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm not ready to put on some armor and enter this "conversation," but i believe a chrome grill is a perfectly good mod to do, as it looks good and doesn't quite yell out. Chrome rims are also fine(though i'd never do it), but saying that "I Bling Bling" or "RoLL oN DuBz" does get old very fast.

Chrome is a nice accent and should always be, like that trim around the whole car, but i surely don't think that anything chrome is better than not. Anyone still see those lovely chrome gas tank lids? now that's a mod i'm waiting to see here!
Old 07-09-02, 04:31 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by manaray
I just think that too much chrome looks ugly. It's one thing if the car came factory with a chrome grille. Like some older cars, but when you start adding excessive chrome, it starts to look a little "East Los Angeles" if you know what I'm talking about. On some cars (like an old Impala), chrome grilles and some trim look great (hell, chrome Daytons look great on an Impala...but would you put that on your GS?), but when you start taking that mentality and applying it modern day cars...well....I'm sure everyone remembers that SC with the "interesting" paint job and wire wheels......

Hey, if you don't like my styling tips, don't read 'em. You can always follow NY Wizard's styling tips if you like...

Oh Gawd...... Not NyWizard....

How about some one neutral.... that has a decent setup...

lol wow... its like NYWizard has his own class..... Nd its not a good one to be in...

Last edited by CamRen; 07-09-02 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-09-02, 05:38 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation Here comes the bandwagon...

Quit crapping all over Dex's thread, geesh! You guys take everything so personal...
Old 07-09-02, 05:56 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ What he said...

Fever & GSTrance, check your PM's...

Dex, once again, nice grille! From the first photo, it looks as if the color is almost a flat dark grey...you did flat black, correct? Could be just the photo...but I think a flat or even gloss dark grey would look nice too...
Old 07-09-02, 06:06 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's wrong with NY Wizard's car....it was a hot attraction at HOT IMPORT NIGHTS in AC on June 15th....

Check it out..

http://www.urbanracer.com/features/p...nac02/0245.jpg

and yes those are EYELIDS!

Last edited by LS4fun; 07-09-02 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-10-02, 02:14 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

A pioneer in grill development. Great idea. I think chrome grills look better on silver cars. So if you dont have a silver car please return your grill to the original color...or dont.

Variety is the spice...the spice...the spice...Dune
Old 07-10-02, 05:51 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[B...Dex, once again, nice grille! From the first photo, it looks as if the color is almost a flat dark grey...you did flat black, correct? Could be just the photo...but I think a flat or even gloss dark grey would look nice too... [/B]
Yep, flat black was the color. I think its the 'flat' part that imparts the grey color.

I may try a few coats of the gossy black this weeekend to see if that deepens the color; if not, off to the powdercoater!

Thanks again guys for the feedback. Those of you that have done the mod, let's see some of your pics. I'm curious if your lfat black came out like mine.

Chrome vs Nochrome? Shoot, I'm surprised nobody has snapped at me for the "GS3 - cruiser comment" yet.

Last edited by ///MDex; 07-10-02 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-10-02, 07:44 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Amen. My car is silver. And Manaray, check your pm.

Originally posted by SandRock
A pioneer in grill development. Great idea. I think chrome grills look better on silver cars. So if you dont have a silver car please return your grill to the original color...or dont.

Variety is the spice...the spice...the spice...Dune
Old 07-10-02, 08:39 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

i think my pearl white looks good with my chrome grill.
Old 07-10-02, 12:41 PM
power3dfx
Rookie

i also blacked out the front grill. however, i used a paint that was meant for touch-ups. it came out to be very clean, not too much shine, nor the dull black look. since i have platinum series gs, my L symbol was already blacked out from the factory. it looks really good with the platinum series emblem L. ive seen a grill and emblem all painted the same way i did mine, its not to nice in my opinion, too much black for me.

Quick Reply: The Anti-Bling Grill