GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

The Anti-Bling Grill

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-02, 02:13 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb The Anti-Bling Grill

As a fellow member told me recently ‘you can’t leave well enough alone…’ I decided to pass along the RMM grill, and modify another part which I know is of solid construction, with perfect fit and finish; none other than the OEM grill of course.

That said, my options were few; go for the bling-attempt, and chrome it, or, what else really? I decided against the chrome since on my GS, the interpretation of the chrome grill is that of a “cruiser” [300s are cruisers, not 4s ], and the look takes away from that of sport. I wanted something classy, like OEM, but a hair more aggressive, which leads me to my mod.

The idea had surfaced some while ago while spotting an Aristo, with a fully blacked out OEM grill. I started with that vision, and tweaked it just a tad.

I started with my OEM grill and removed the center ‘L’. I primered the grill portion with a dark color primer. All of it; chrome trim and all. I applied about 3 or 4 light coats.

Next came the flat black enamel paint; the number of applications was closer to at least 5 or 6 here.

In the meantime of applying the coats of flat black, I applied an aerosol foaming Citristrip {Home Depot - $3) to the entire center ‘L’ emblem. The directions state you can leave it on for 24hrs, so I did that, twice. After the 2nd day, I started rubbing lightly with a cotton shop towel, and removed most of the black/grey OEM paint from the entire emblem. Yes, the entire emblem is chrome (or chrome-esque), like the grill.

After removing most of the paint with the shop towel, I rinsed off the emblem in a weak solution of liquid dishwashing soap and water, dried off with a paper towel, and went back over the non-finger-permittable cracks and crevasses with some additional Citristrip and Q-tips and toothpicks.

And here is the end result. Nothing flashy, perhaps a little better than OEM, since the color is more black, than grey. I may try a few coats of glossy black to see if I can get the color a little deeper. If it chips, no big, I can fix that in a few minutes. If it chips really badly, I may consider powdercoating it.

Another consideration is to PC the entire grill, but not sure how a total blacked out grill would look on the Blue.

It sure as heck fits nicely.

Here are a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails The Anti-Bling Grill-forweb110-1047_img.jpg  
Old 07-08-02, 02:14 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default 2

Attached Thumbnails The Anti-Bling Grill-forweb110-1048_img.jpg  
Old 07-08-02, 02:15 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default 3

Attached Thumbnails The Anti-Bling Grill-forweb110-1050_img.jpg  
Old 07-08-02, 02:25 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice. I was also thinking of "blackening" the OEM grill and you just beat me to it. I don't know, something about the vertical slats in the OEM remind of the late 50s Buicks - something that looks like an angry shark with all the sharp chrome teeth exposed!!!

"Blackening" the grill takes that dimension away somehow and gives a sportier yet sedate look.

I like it.

Check out www.blackgrill.com

Old 07-08-02, 02:31 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that looks fantastic--nice job!

Maybe one reason I like it is that my Acura grill looks like that stock...
Old 07-08-02, 03:51 PM
Gs400TRD
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did this sometime last year...went with high gloss black, but then settled on semi-gloss black...Looks much better than the factory scheme....It would look even better on a black car.

Last edited by Gs400TRD; 07-08-02 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-08-02, 03:54 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Thought about doing that as well Dex, just happier with the stock grill sitting on the shelf for right now. I hope the flat black works out well. In the past, I have had trouble with flat black. It is just not very durable. Don't know about the PC but a gloss or satin might be doable as well. I have been playing around with different meshes on a TRD grill (think Jag R type and you have the look I am trying for) but I really like the look of the blacked out stock grill. Thanks Dex for posting the pictures.
Old 07-08-02, 03:58 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up Sweet

That looks really cool! I wonder how the platinum L would look with the blacked out grill?

Very nice mod.

BTW: I just noticed your new avatar... LMAO

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 07-08-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-08-02, 05:08 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

i dunno... looks like some one BBQ'd your Grill .... its too flat... looks too dull.... put a Clear coat on or something... make it match the cars shine...

Last edited by CamRen; 07-08-02 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-08-02, 05:20 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Looks VERY good Dex. Surprisingly good on your color. It looks like you achieved what you wanted. I did mine a few months ago but the flat black didn't look very good on my black LS so I did it glossy. You're right about chipping. I've had to touch up mine from some long trips to PA. Again, very nice. You always seem to do the "right" things to your car. Now leave well enough alone!!! You're running out of things to "mod". Soon it'll be back to SRT.
Old 07-08-02, 05:32 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Dex, not that you have said you would do it but I don't recommend putting a clear coat over flat. It does not come out right. Been there, done that. Shame the flat just isn't that durable. Wonder what the PC guys have to offer. Also, sometimes a very dark gray looks better than the flat black. I am not sure why but it has a little life to it. Sometimes flat black gets that cast iron look.
Old 07-08-02, 06:45 PM
LexFather

Dex, thanks for the write-up, I am sure someone always wanted to try this...

Dude, you are the GRILL-GUY!

Old 07-08-02, 07:17 PM
fever
Lead Lap

Subtle, you sneaky sob! I like a lot. Looks especially good with your SMB paint.
Old 07-08-02, 07:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Couple more pics from the creation of the 'anti-bling grill'...

The chrome L by itself after cleaning:
Attached Thumbnails The Anti-Bling Grill-close-up-l.jpg  
Old 07-08-02, 07:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Side by side comparo of my old stock grill vs Dex's new one.
Attached Thumbnails The Anti-Bling Grill-grill-comparo.jpg  

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-08-02 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: The Anti-Bling Grill