GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Custom SuperMan logo insert in the center of your stock grille

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-02, 11:57 AM
enginyr
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

even if you can manufacturer them cheap, you still can't make any profits because no one wants a superman logo.

And you never know what others are capable of. There are people who can make those without being an engineer (Manaray probably have hookups to get those made)

If you can come up with a really good design, then that's profit for ya.

No one wants a superman logo?......What you mean to say is That 8 people on this thread wouldn't buy it. As for Manaray having someone design it for him for free(I highly doubt that). $60/hr for typical Engineers doing contract work.

Also GlobeClk, when I ask a question to Manaray....Please let HIM respond.....
Old 07-12-02, 03:11 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

enginyr, forget grill inserts. i would imagine that almost everyone would either want to keep the L or have no logo at all (replacement grill). take a look at what people are willing to do with the badges on the rear of their cars -- it's either leave it alone or debadge completely. the only variations are jdm aristo badges or possibly badging saying tom's, wald, or some other japanese tuner. people want to keep the clean look -- so i'm sure it applies to both ends of the vehicle.

why not just try to design a replacement grill? difficult, obviously, but your site is "lexus grill"...

Last edited by pvmike1; 07-12-02 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-12-02, 04:19 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by pvmike1
enginyr, forget grill inserts. i would imagine that almost everyone would either want to keep the L or have no logo at all (replacement grill). take a look at what people are willing to do with the badges on the rear of their cars -- it's either leave it alone or debadge completely. the only variations are jdm aristo badges or possibly badging saying tom's, wald, or some other japanese tuner. people want to keep the clean look -- so i'm sure it applies to both ends of the vehicle.

why not just try to design a replacement grill? difficult, obviously, but your site is "lexus grill"...

Thats a good idea!
Old 07-12-02, 11:41 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by enginyr

No one wants a superman logo?......What you mean to say is That 8 people on this thread wouldn't buy it. As for Manaray having someone design it for him for free(I highly doubt that). $60/hr for typical Engineers doing contract work.

Also GlobeClk, when I ask a question to Manaray....Please let HIM respond.....
Well 8 out of 8 people won't want to buy it, which means 100% of the people won't buy one. If you think you can make it and sell it, then that's great. Another way to make money. Good for you.

As for designing something, all you did was make the Superman logo oval and made it in 3D. If I want to have something made, I can easily make it in photoshop in 2D. If the whole plastic insert is going to look like the stock one anyways, why not just bring that to the people who will be making it? Making it in 3D is just extra work which you don't need.

Oh I'm directing my post at LS400GOD so would everyone else please don't respond to me.
Old 07-13-02, 02:04 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

Well 8 out of 8 people won't want to buy it, which means 100% of the people won't buy one. If you think you can make it and sell it, then that's great. Another way to make money. Good for you.

As for designing something, all you did was make the Superman logo oval and made it in 3D. If I want to have something made, I can easily make it in photoshop in 2D. If the whole plastic insert is going to look like the stock one anyways, why not just bring that to the people who will be making it? Making it in 3D is just extra work which you don't need.

Oh I'm directing my post at LS400GOD so would everyone else please don't respond to me.
This is directed at you.
Making it in 3D is just the first step. After the overall mechanical design is finsihed, I'll bring it back into the 2D world and add dimensions for the machine shop. After a couple prototypes are made, then comes the plastic injection mold design, if this really is a hit.

What do you ALL think of this one....?
Attached Thumbnails Custom SuperMan logo insert in the center of your stock grille-stripe.jpg  
Old 07-13-02, 02:47 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Enginyr - I happen to have a pretty extensive CADD background for your information. I actually started in high school and learn at JPL (yes, Jet Propulsion Laboratory) on the same mainframe system they designed parts of the Space Shuttle on...it was part of an advanced studies group...our CAD program was one of the most advanced in the nation and was better than most Universities...I also learn AutoCAD, CADD/S, Infini-D, and a few other CAD/3-D programs along the way...

...plus I've done development for various molded and vaccum formed plastics both domestically and overseas in China and Taiwan at my former job...

So I think I might be able to make them for much less than the cost you would pay to make them domestically...

...and for making THIS type of product, you HARDLY need an engineering degree...it's not like it needs to be structurally sound for 10 tons of pressure or anything...it's not brain surgery...

Hell, I could just take the factory one and spec out a crude rendition of what I want to do to it and send it off to China or Taiwan and they'll do all the labor and "engineering" to make me samples...once the design is finalized and signed off, then they'd make a mold and stamp out 10,000 of them...(or 1,000,000 if need be)

...like Globe said, you never know what others are capable of...

Last edited by Manaray; 07-13-02 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-13-02, 02:55 AM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by manaray
Enginyr - I happen to have a pretty extensive CADD background for your information. I actually started in high school and learn at JPL (yes, Jet Propulsion Laboratory) on the same mainframe system they designed parts of the Space Shuttle on...it was part of an advanced studies group...our CAD program was one of the most advanced in the nation and was better than most Universities...I also learn AutoCAD, CADD/S, Infini-D, and a few other CAD/3-D programs along the way...

...plus I've done development for various molded and vaccum formed plastics both domestically and overseas in China and Taiwan at my former job...

So I think I might be able to make them for much less than the cost you would pay to make them domestically...

...and for making THIS type of product, you HARDLY need an engineering degree...it's not like it needs to be structurally sound for 10 tons of pressure or anything...it's not brain surgery...

Hell, I could just take the factory one and spec out a crude rendition of what I want to do to it and send it off to China or Taiwan and they'll do all the labor and "engineering" to make me samples...once the design is finalized and signed off, then they'd make a mold and stamp out 10,000 of them...(or 1,000,000 if need be)

...like Globe said, you never know what others are capable of...
Nice to hear it directly from you. I also worked for a JPL subsidiary, doing Spectroscopy. That Mars probe that crashed on the surface of mars had our Spectrascope in it. If it did land, we would have went IPO instantaneously. So I left to another Start-up company thinking it was more stable.....silly me.

BTW... JPL sucks and you know it.....
Old 07-13-02, 03:42 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

JPL may suck lately, but they had a great CADD program back in the days...I think it's just typical red tape that holds JPL back...too many people trying to justify their jobs...
Old 07-14-02, 02:06 PM
MasterG
Pole Position

I want one Enginyr. It has to be chrome and look like this:
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-02, 02:08 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by MasterG
I want one Enginyr. It has to be chrome and look like this: