GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help! Scraping nosie from front of car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 03:54 PM
Justakid
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Scraping nosie from front of car?

so anyways i have noticed that when I am driving at lower speeds, there is a distinct scraping sound i can hear that sounds like its coming from the front-ish drivers side.

as I accelerate past 40 though it doesn't really make the noise at all...

sounds like something being drug under the car, or like a scraping/ticking/grinding sound.

makes it at random intervals kinda like a scrrrr,crrrrr, crrr,crrrrrrrrr

im wondering if this is something i should be worried about. I am going on a 4 hour drive to austin tomorrow and would hate to break down somewhere along the way.

also does anyone have any clues as to what could be causing this noise?

Last edited by Justakid; 08-06-10 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 04:32 PM
Justakid
Rookie

took it for another drive but with someone else driving.

the noise is pretty much unhearable from anything but the divers seat.... it is a VERY faint scraping sound, when i have my A/C on 2 bars you can't even hear it anymore...
Old 08-06-10, 04:39 PM
d3fc0N_21
Driver

Serpentine belt?
Old 08-06-10, 05:07 PM
Justakid
Rookie

no clue what that is but im driving a 99 GS300...

I did research and people were saying that the ball joints often need to be replaced once the mileage starts creeping up there (someone said as early as 77k).

my car has 78,000$ miles on it, could it be my ball joints scraping?? I feel like if it was the joints the scraping sound would be louder, or as the problem becomes more serious it will become louder.....

im just apprehensive about making this 4-5 hour drive tomorrow...
Old 08-06-10, 05:16 PM
d3fc0N_21
Driver

Originally Posted by Justakid
no clue what that is but im driving a 99 GS300...

I did research and people were saying that the ball joints often need to be replaced once the mileage starts creeping up there (someone said as early as 77k).

my car has 78,000$ miles on it, could it be my ball joints scraping?? I feel like if it was the joints the scraping sound would be louder, or as the problem becomes more serious it will become louder.....

im just apprehensive about making this 4-5 hour drive tomorrow...
The reason I threw out "serpentine belt" is that the noise went away with the AC on. Another indicator if it is your belt, when you start the car first thing in the morning, do you hear any noise?

Ball joints ... not sure since the noise goes away at 40mph. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you would hear distinct noise when turning the wheel left / right if it were your ball joints.

Is your car lowered?
Old 08-06-10, 05:19 PM
AsGs300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what mods do you have? are you super low? could be your cat! that sounds like what my car is doing too ! mine is a 99 300 with 210k
and yes replace your ball joints SEARCH THAT on here .. before its too late !
Old 08-06-10, 05:40 PM
Justakid
Rookie

Originally Posted by d3fc0N_21
The reason I threw out "serpentine belt" is that the noise went away with the AC on. Another indicator if it is your belt, when you start the car first thing in the morning, do you hear any noise?

Ball joints ... not sure since the noise goes away at 40mph. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you would hear distinct noise when turning the wheel left / right if it were your ball joints.

Is your car lowered?
hmm the noise does not go away when the a/c is on level 2, i was just using that reference so yall could gauge how soft the noise is.

also it doesn't make the noise when turning left or right all the time (sometimes it will, it seems like its random) it makes noise when im going in a straight line as well, in random intervals... Also theres a good sized hill by my house and when im braking at the bottom, the noise becomes more noticeable and continues for as long as I am holding the breaks. When I release the brakes the noise will come and go as it pleases...

good to hear it may not be the ball joints im hoping its not, the noise is not a super loud and it doesn't happen when turning a certain direction... thanks for the help sofar guys

oo yea car is Dead stock except i just had an hard-wired fm transmitter installed... (its a pos too wish i didn't waste the 100 for it hah), not low at all.

Last edited by Justakid; 08-06-10 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 07:24 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man...if you haven't read this thread already, it's worth the read. It goes into details about the lower ball joint problems and it give some symptoms and might help you identify if this is what you are hearing. When my lower ball joints were getting bad I had an audible squeaking/grinding noise but it was accompanied by a knocking under the floorboards when I turned the wheel. Here's the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...gs-owners.html

If you can get your car jacked up, it's easy to check your ball joints. Put a pry bar under the bottom of the joint and lift up. There should hardly ANY movement. Mine raised up nearly 1/2" to 3/4". Changed them the next day.
Old 08-06-10, 08:44 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

this may be funny but.. i had a noise before under dash and found out ti was because my coolant was low..
Old 08-06-10, 08:58 PM
Justakid
Rookie

Originally Posted by dejavu157
this may be funny but.. i had a noise before under dash and found out ti was because my coolant was low..
word? It could be low fluid in some way... does sound kinda like a straw trying to get the last drops out of a cup.. but engine never runs really hot (usually idles in the middle of the heat gauge even in 100degree texas weather)

Originally Posted by fenderzig
Hey man...if you haven't read this thread already, it's worth the read. It goes into details about the lower ball joint problems and it give some symptoms and might help you identify if this is what you are hearing. When my lower ball joints were getting bad I had an audible squeaking/grinding noise but it was accompanied by a knocking under the floorboards when I turned the wheel. Here's the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...gs-owners.html

If you can get your car jacked up, it's easy to check your ball joints. Put a pry bar under the bottom of the joint and lift up. There should hardly ANY movement. Mine raised up nearly 1/2" to 3/4". Changed them the next day.
read the thread... no noises made sound like squeek, and the car NEVER knocks, she drives smooth (maybe a little jump accelerating out of idle if i do it very slow, but i hear thats normal).. mostly grinding noises are made (could it be warped brake rotor? rotor also has a little bit of rust on it and i heard that could be a culprit as well.)

also i turned my wheels all the way one way and all the way the other.. no noises except the power steering once i had the wheels all the way turned..

thanks for all the responses guys I am really just trying to get some peace of mind before my 300 mile trip tomorrow...

edit: oh yea theres no real slop in the wheel (unless you count the 65mph wheel shakes) steering is still tight

Last edited by Justakid; 08-06-10 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 09:32 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

yes it sounds liek that! it sounds like a gurgle sound. Trust me man, its funyn but check your coolant, it might be low. mines didnt run hot either, always in the middle, but when i check my coolant, it was REALLY low. tell me how it goes.
Old 08-07-10, 08:01 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

FIX IT
Old 08-07-10, 10:38 AM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I had some of the same problems not to long ago. And from how you described it, check your brake dust cover. Mine was rubbing against the rotor and would make the sound just like you were saying. Just a thought, doesnt hurt to check that out.
Old 08-11-10, 10:32 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

wonder if he fixed it..
Old 08-12-10, 02:11 AM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to know what it was or is. Hope he fixed it.

Quick Reply: Help! Scraping nosie from front of car?