GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

1st gen lexus GS300 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-02, 02:35 AM
mischief
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

thx for the compliments. i just got my gs3 2 months ago and i've been lurking around the boards since then gathering info . i don't really have pics up because i'm still waiting to put on my kit, and paint it. after i do that, then i'll start putting up pics .

as for the dash kit, jmai is right...its just the door handle surround that is included. if they don't want to make the pieces for me, i guess i'll just have to either paint it or put a darker grey vinyl to cover the woodgrain so it matches the interior. we'll see what their response is, and i'll let u guys know.
Old 07-11-02, 06:11 AM
kasper634
Rookie

so is there any kits that include all the pieces?
Old 07-11-02, 02:26 PM
mischief
Driver School Candidate

Question

well...when I was looking, there aren't too many places that do dash kits for our car. if you're just looking to change wood piece that surrounds the shifter, i've heard someone say that piece is around $400 from the dealer. you could always go on ebay and be patient. i've seen a few go by for about $100 or less. otherwise, if you want to change your oem dash dramatically, like using carbon fiber or "flex metal", i think florida auto trim is the only manufacturer for our car. but, like i said, they don't include the door switch surrounds.

if you look on ebay, there are a few sellers with oem matched woodgrain which lets you accent some other pieces...

it'll probably look like this...

as for those door / window switch surrounds...not very many places make them, if any at all. in my opinion...unless you're really unhappy with your oem woodgrain color...just buy a kit that repairs the shift surround...it'll save you the trouble of wondering what to do with your door pieces .
Old 07-11-02, 11:43 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Well, i dont have a first gen. GS, butive been looking around at them, and they dont seem that fast at all... What mods would you have to do to get the 0-60 time in the high 6s and the QM in the high 14s, say 14.7???
Old 07-12-02, 02:13 AM
mischief
Driver School Candidate

Talking

hmm...

probably one of these might help...

http://www.autonetperformance.com/turbokits/gsturbo.htm

Old 07-12-02, 05:57 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Toog4me
Well, i dont have a first gen. GS, butive been looking around at them, and they dont seem that fast at all... What mods would you have to do to get the 0-60 time in the high 6s and the QM in the high 14s, say 14.7???
The GS wan't made to be fast, if you want fast go buy a pure sportscar. The hundreds of pounds of leather and electronic BS that they put on a Lex are for comfort not speed.

All that considered, a Civic finally got to me last week on the highway, so I smoked him. I slowed down and he tried again, this time with a 75-shot of nitrous, I still got him. (and put my flashers on just in case he didn't realize, lol!!)

In order to get to the 14s, one would need a turbo kit as mischief pointed out. Actually, done well, it may be into the 13s or lower. However, based on my research, 9 times out of 10, the transmission can't hold over 350 hp. This means although the engine can take a huge amount of boost, it has to be toned down to light boost (maybe 5 pounds) and 340 hp. It still should be easily enough to break "14.7" but would cost you $7,000.00. I've seen a few nitrous applications and Nitrous Express insists that a 100-shot would be no problem, but....nitrous scares me.

If you've got the big bank...the ultimate combination of speed and luxury IMO is the Beemer M5.

Todd
Old 07-12-02, 09:55 AM
minh
Pole Position

Hey Guys,

As long as we're talking about First Gen performance. How many of you First Genners have the Supra TT brake upgrade? Did you use the SS brake lines? Are they the same as the one's that are used for the Second Gen conversion? Thanks.

Minh
Old 07-12-02, 11:44 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Everytime i see the GS300 and someone is trying to sell it, they tell me its Lexus's combination of luxury and performance. So i figured it was meant to go fast. whatever.

thanks
Old 07-12-02, 12:54 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Toog, it was billed as just that when it was introduced. There were not many vehicles out there that filled that category. Lexus came out with a stylish ride and they pushed the fact that it had the same power as the non-turbo Supra. The people you are running into are just reading the literature that came with the car.

Nowadays, there are many cars that fit the bill...240 hp is common place, the Nissan Altima for example.

T
Old 07-12-02, 01:53 PM
mischief
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

btw...all you first gen with an aftermarket stereo...im wondering how much it cost on average for you to get the deck surround fabricated from a stereo shop? i know they don't make installation kits, and someone told me that any good stereo shop can fabricate one for like $200-$350. any of you paid more than that or can get a better hookup?
Old 07-12-02, 05:24 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge

The GS wan't made to be fast, if you want fast go buy a pure sportscar. The hundreds of pounds of leather and electronic BS that they put on a Lex are for comfort not speed.

All that considered, a Civic finally got to me last week on the highway, so I smoked him. I slowed down and he tried again, this time with a 75-shot of nitrous, I still got him. (and put my flashers on just in case he didn't realize, lol!!)

In order to get to the 14s, one would need a turbo kit as mischief pointed out. Actually, done well, it may be into the 13s or lower. However, based on my research, 9 times out of 10, the transmission can't hold over 350 hp. This means although the engine can take a huge amount of boost, it has to be toned down to light boost (maybe 5 pounds) and 340 hp. It still should be easily enough to break "14.7" but would cost you $7,000.00. I've seen a few nitrous applications and Nitrous Express insists that a 100-shot would be no problem, but....nitrous scares me.

If you've got the big bank...the ultimate combination of speed and luxury IMO is the Beemer M5.

Todd
My car runs in the 12's when set up. But it is almost always set as a daily driver, cause that is what it is, so it runs only 11lbs boost. My transmission is completely redone so mine can handle the power. Just wanted to let you know that it can be done. The car is approx 400hp withOUT the nitrous.
Old 07-12-02, 11:48 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Mischief, right now i just have my headunit in my car with no car kit as of yet. there is a lot of way you can make a kit your self for about 10 bucks or so depending how good you are with your hands. one way i was told was to buy a small piece of MDF wood and have someone cut it for you in the shape of the piece you need. (home depot won't cut it for you cause of some law) after you have your piece of wood you can go to a uplosphery(sp?) place and have them sell you a very small piece of black leather and you can go buy some special glue and wrap the piece of wood in black leather to match your dashboard surrounds. (ac vent, and ac controller).

another way of doing it that i have seen that looks just as clean is to go buy a piece of black plastic and cut it perfect snug fit into the shape of the kit. and you can stick a small piece of velcro to hold it in.

no matter what you decide don't pay someone 200-300 bucks to make you a car kit. thats a WASTE of money. if you want you can paypal me at Jmai22@socal.rr.com 150 bucks and i'll make you one. LOL.
Old 07-14-02, 09:24 AM
jnova2000
Driver School Candidate

Default wiring harness

Originally posted by kasper634
aight thanks, yeah so far ill im plannin to do is prolly the intake, exhaust and a sound system. also i got to fix the seats since the leather is ripped, and i need new trim since thats cracked right where the transmission is. anyone know where i can get new trim, but id like to get polished aluminum or carbon fiber. also one more thing do they make a wiring harness and radio kits for these gs's? or would i need to have custom made one? thanks all
Hi How are you? Try to go to this web site.... http://www.sfxaudio.com/index.asp
I did find a female and male connectors for my lexus Gs300 1994 which is the same as your 1993. 1993-97 are the same.....good luck...
Old 07-14-02, 09:37 PM
kasper634
Rookie

Default Owners manual, spare key number?

hell yeah, today i cleared out the blinkers, it looks sweet, just gotta get somewhite bulbs. Got a problem though i didnt get any owners manual with the car, and i heard the number that you need for the replacement key is in there? what do i do in case i loose this key? and if anyone has any owners manuals that they dont need for the 93 gs let me know ill buy them. Now another thing i dont believe my car had the nakamichi stereo, does the back speaker have an amp hooked up to it or no? thanks for any replys
Old 07-14-02, 09:44 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

the front blinker bulbs are dual filament 1157 bulbs. your amp for your sub and speakers are located under your stock cd-changer in the back right corner of your trunk

Quick Reply: 1st gen lexus GS300 Mods