GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

I think most of us are spoiled, but I'm very grateful

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 12:01 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I think most of us are spoiled, but I'm very grateful

I read alot of posts on here from members complaining about a squeak here, and little noise there, also complaining about having to change this at 100k or change that at 150k, let me tell you something guys/girls Lexus is one of the most reliable car on the road today, I dont know about you but my Lex never never left me stranded in any way. so what if you need to change this part or that after 100k + of carefree driving, thats a small price to pay for a piece of mind. let me break it down how I see it. My 2001 GS is about 10yrs old with 130k on clock here is what I paid for NON wear and tear maintence so far.

Non Wear and Tear Maintenace

Steering pump rebuild parts and labor $200
Replace Radiator parts and labor $250
Replace 2 AC servos parts and my labor $330
Replace Battery $50
Ball Joints / Tie Rods parts my labor $230

Thats all I paid so far to have my Lex on the road, a drop in the bucket I would say. of course I get my regular oil changes every 3000k, Tires, Brakes, fliud top offs, but thats normal wear and tear, oh I forgot about the timing belt change thats part of normal maintence at 80k or so. I have a friend that has a 2000 BMW 528i with 175k on the clock, here is what he changed so far on it:

2000 BMW 528i non wear and tear items:

Engine ECU
Torque converter
Drive shaft
complete MAF sensor Assy
Vacuum Hoses
Radio and Gauge sometimes works
Altenator and belts
Steerring Rack

There are a few other things I can't remember at this moment, but I think you get the picture. so as the saying goes 'The grass is not always greener on the other side'.

Last edited by eman88; 08-21-10 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-20-10, 12:34 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

I have to agree and that is why I moved back over to the brand. My last car was a endless pit, granted I always pushed it to the limit. Items broke down more than they should have with me servicing it on a regular basis.

I opted not to go with BMW, Mercedes or any other brand for my next car because of how well built these cars are. Sure they aren't perfect but, the cost are low and rarely do you have major issues.
Old 08-20-10, 12:48 PM
Chris4.3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I sold my '01 GS300, I was looking into '03 M5 for more power. I then realized when maintenance came around, neither my friends or I knew much about it besides performance parts. Of course there is the bimmer forums but I also didnt want to leave this family. I came to my senses and picked up an '03 GS430 instead.
Old 08-20-10, 04:28 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

If you look on the Bimmer Forums and see other members asking about picking up a
bmw the first comments are always get a extended warranty, because even the regular scheduled maintenance is expensive, I believe one Bimmer Forum member was quoted 900 bucks to do a transmission service....thats to crazy.
Old 08-20-10, 11:38 PM
dsouth
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with all the comments. I'm driving around in a 96 Benz C280 right now while my GS is getting painted.
And let me tell you boy do I miss the Lex, it's getting it's 3rd makeover as we speak, new bodykit,rims,acessories,etc.

I was looking at upgrading to another Lexus or a 335i and my buddy with an M3 said to stick with Lexus due to maintenance costs. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 335i but I'm not a baller anymore.
Old 08-20-10, 11:43 PM
dejavu157
Lexus Champion

Lexus is KING!
Old 08-21-10, 11:21 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

It's good to hear all the good feedbacks from Lexus owners, peace of mind is what we all need and knowing how reliable these cars are as compared to other brands...
Old 08-21-10, 11:55 AM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I for one am not one to complain about my car, but when the car develops a problem, or noise, I want to get to the bottom of it at once and get it fixed back up to new condition. No car is perfect. I think people are full of it when they expect that Lexus vehicles don't need to be maintained just like every other vehicle out there. I am a perfectionist. If their is a squeek or clunk, then that tells me that something is needing attention. I am more than happy to replace whatever, whenever in order to keep my vehicles running like new.

I believe that several people on this forum has the same mentality as I do. Just because someone creates a thread on here stating a problem or noise they are experiencing, does not mean that they are complaining about the car and are upset that it needs money thrown at it, but simply that there worn out parts are unacceptable and that they want the car to perform like Lexus intended and are therefore seeking advice on how to fix the problem.

I love our GS430, and will happily buy several more Lexus's in the future due to the carefree, and low cost ownership the car has provided.
Old 08-21-10, 12:16 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey jj benzo i bet those lincolns arent as reliable are they lol
Old 08-21-10, 02:23 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota/Lexus's have done a fantastic job on making high quality reliable cars. Every car on the road will have things fail. Take a look at this video for reliability!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWc_flGRT_o
Old 08-21-10, 02:38 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TLcoats
Toyota/Lexus's have done a fantastic job on making high quality reliable cars. Every car on the road will have things fail. Take a look at this video for reliability!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWc_flGRT_o
i don't think they make their cars like they used to though.
Old 08-21-10, 03:47 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this video is freakin awseome man, the only vehicle that can do this is the mercedes benz 240d and 300d from 77-85'
Old 08-21-10, 04:33 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I for one am not one to complain about my car, but when the car develops a problem, or noise, I want to get to the bottom of it at once and get it fixed back up to new condition. No car is perfect. I think people are full of it when they expect that Lexus vehicles don't need to be maintained just like every other vehicle out there. I am a perfectionist. If their is a squeek or clunk, then that tells me that something is needing attention. I am more than happy to replace whatever, whenever in order to keep my vehicles running like new.

I believe that several people on this forum has the same mentality as I do. Just because someone creates a thread on here stating a problem or noise they are experiencing, does not mean that they are complaining about the car and are upset that it needs money thrown at it, but simply that there worn out parts are unacceptable and that they want the car to perform like Lexus intended and are therefore seeking advice on how to fix the problem.

I love our GS430, and will happily buy several more Lexus's in the future due to the carefree, and low cost ownership the car has provided.
Well if you search hard enough you will find members/owners that comes across a problem with there Lexus and immedately jump ship to another brand, The thread I created was a general statement not meant to get anyones panties in a bunch, if your a perfectionist about your car then great I'm happy for you, If your not then good luck to you as well. and JJBENZO you stated that parts do wear out on any vehicle, but you also stated worn out parts are unacceptable, maybe you should find another means of transportation your a little conflicted.
Old 08-21-10, 04:54 PM
eman88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by D-Boi
hey jj benzo i bet those lincolns arent as reliable are they lol
lol...lol...thats too funny. back in the day I drove a new 2000 or 2001 Lincoln V8 for 1 week and started to hear noises from the rear end. I dont the drivetrain can handle the power of the V8
Old 08-21-10, 07:53 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I push my cars pretty damn hard and also modify them. Of course that means I have to fix stuff more often. However, the amount of stuff I have to fix is much less compared to my friends cars of other brands with the same amount of mods and similar driving styles. These cars were just over-engineered in terms of durability for "MOST" of the OEM components compared to other cars that are engineered to just be enough for the task at hand.

Quick Reply: I think most of us are spoiled, but I'm very grateful