GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How much gain possible without forced induction?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-02, 11:35 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much gain possible without forced induction?

So obviously I've been here on CL for quite a while, and I've modded my car with L-Tuned and TRD components. I've shied away from things that aren't concretely under warranty, but with the recent conversations about the SRT Race ECU and TorqueMaster plugs, I was wondering about the maximum performance gains possible without going to forced induction.

As far as I can tell the following would be a pretty damned nice setup:

* Dragon torque converter - optimize power put to the ground
* TRD limited slip differential - hold that power to the ground
* SRT Intake/Race ECU - optimize intake side
* TorqueMaster plugs - optimize combustion
* L-Tuned exhaust - optimize exhaust side

Obviously there are other options available for these components and I'm just specifying my preference on each.

I know that the gains from mods aren't necessarily additive, but I'm trying to figure out the net gains in horsepower/torque at the crank/wheels and the overall "seat-of-the-pants" performance gains in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

I'll take a stab based on what I know and say that I'd expect the following:

* TC - shave ~0.5 secs off 0-60
* LSD - helps the TC do what it's doing; no real change
* Intake/ECU - +20HP/lb-ft at the crank
* Plugs - +10HP/lb-ft at the crank
* Exhaust - +8HP/lb-ft at the crank

So on a GS430 with all of these mods and resetting the ECU to accommodate for the changes, would it be safe to assume that I'd be looking at ~340HP/365lb-ft and 5.1-5.2 sec 0-60 times? I'm sure this is wrong, so what I want to know is what the real answer would be.

Yes, I've seen the FAQ where different components are added and the 0-60 times are shown, but that takes into account heavier wheels, stereo equipment, etc., and doesn't take into account the new Race ECU and TM plugs.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Feel free to move this thread into the Engine section.

Regards,
Scott
Old 07-12-02, 12:01 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Scott I don't think that your #'s are that far off. The fastest NA GS4 that I know of is Mean Genes'. He has the SRT HFI/ECU/TC RMM LSD & Borla exhaust on his car and it puts out approximately 342.6hp at the flywheel(274.1RWHP). He ran a 13.79 @ 106.2 and I believe runs around 5.1 0-60. I also know Gene was working on putting in Star spark plugs in his car so that might have upped hp as well. The work he has done is quite impressive.
Old 07-12-02, 01:08 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

those are some good numbers Mean Gene has. anybody know of Gs's and their specs that dip below 5.0 without forced induction?
Old 07-12-02, 01:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Originally posted by bravo261
anybody know of Gs's and their specs that dip below 5.0 without forced induction?
No chance. Maybe if you took out all the seats, airbags, spare rim, and put on lightweight 16s - haha
Old 07-12-02, 06:38 PM
buckwild
Driver School Candidate

HATE TO SOUND LIKE A SMART *** BUT IF YOU ACTUALLY DO CARE THAT MUCH ABOUT YOUR ETS AND YOUR 0TO 60,THENGET OFF THE PORTCH AND DO SOME SERIOUS MODS!!!YOU COULD DO A DRY NOS SHOT SAFELY AT 65 AND YOUR DEALER WOULDNT EVEN PICK UP ON IT!!!TRUST ME,I HAVE A HYBRID TURBO,NOS-DIRECT PORT,AND THE DEALER STILL HONORS MY WARRANTY.PLUS IF YOU COULD GET STRAIT TALK LIKE IM GIVING YOU NOW,YOUR L.S.D.IS GOOD FOR 710HORSES AND YOUR TRANNY IS GOOD FOR 52O HORSES.SO DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY YET ON ALL THAT STUFF UNTIL YOUVE GONE TO A SUPERCHARGER OR TURBO.PLUS IF YOU WANT TO SAVE YOUR WARRANTY,AS SOON AS YOU CRACK OPEN THAT TRANNY TO PUT IN YOUR TORGUE CONVERTER,YOU JUST KISSED IT GOOD BYE CAUSE THERE IS A DYE THAT GOES OFF AND WE DONT EVEN KNOW IT!!!REMEMBER WE HAVE THE SAME BLOCK AND TRANNY AND REAREND AS A AUTO SUPRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IF YOU NEED MORE HONEST ANSWERS CONTACT ME
Old 07-12-02, 08:52 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Default BUCKWILD

Holy tamoley those are some serious capital letters you have going there, buddy!

So while I'd love to have a low 5 second 0-60, I actually still care about things like warranty and comfort. This was more a curiosity question than an indication that I'm about to load up the car. Lots of non-forced induction mods around and I wanted to know what the overall possibilities are.

I've ordered L-Tuned exhaust which should arrive in less than two weeks, and at most I might do TorqueMaster plugs and a K&N air filter after that since they're relatively non-intrusive, and those only after chatting with my dealer's service guys about them.

Like the Nissan ad says, "just because you could, doesn't mean you would" (or something like that).

Thanks for the good info, though, JAC JZS. It's nice to hear that my #s weren't too far off the mark.
Old 07-12-02, 09:27 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

I don't know about down there but up here it is ilegal to have NOS in your ride on public streets . This was news to my ears when I first heard of it:eek:
Old 07-12-02, 10:01 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SCWells72

Thanks for the good info, though, JAC JZS. It's nice to hear that my #s weren't too far off the mark.
No problem Scott

Last edited by JAC JZS; 07-12-02 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-12-02, 10:15 PM
RacingAristo

For performance mod, I have:

SRT Intake/Race ECU
Precision Industries TC
TM Plugs (waiting for Steve to pick them up)
APEX WS Exhaust (cat-back)

I will do some run when I install the plugs and post up the result here in CL.

By the way, I have 430 so you can use it as a reference.
Old 07-13-02, 01:54 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by bitkahuna

No chance. Maybe if you took out all the seats, airbags, spare rim, and put on lightweight 16s - haha
sure about no chance? if mean gene got 5.1, there's gotta be few things to push it to 5.0 or 4.9. perhaps taking my 167lb fat a$$ helps. yup, 5'6" and i'm a thick 167lb. there's my primary problem!
Old 07-13-02, 03:36 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Launching

Scott - Actually, I did a single 5.1 sec 0-60 run but have done back to back 5.2's so I'm confident that I can pull those again. It's really more in your launching technique, IMO. Yeah, my GS has the power ( roughly 340+ RWHP ) but too many rpms at the launch will blow the tires away & too little doesn't yield the best times. I'll have to look up the 13.79 ET & check my 0-60 time for posting. Hope to install the TM plugs next weekend but the downside to dragging this time of the year is the 90%+ humidity here in Louisiana. Maybe I can find a reasonably cool night to head to the track but if not, there's my "private" dragstrip plus the trusty G-Tech Pro!!
Old 07-13-02, 07:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts
Default Re: Launching

Originally posted by Mean Gene
( roughly 340+ RWHP )
How do you manage that without FI?
Old 07-13-02, 08:19 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe he means 340flywheel?

forced induction can yeild as much power as the engine can handle. Usually in the range of 100 - 300% HP gain at MAXIMUM tune.. the turbo "kits" you find are really small turbos designed for maximum driveability. Im not talking about all kits however.. those HKS twins are KILLER and if tuned right will give u 500% HP Gain!!!

(170RWHP - > 1000RWHP)
Old 07-13-02, 02:50 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

i'm with lexusrules. 340rwhp is 100 over stock, which will have to push a car under 5.

mean gene,
after you install those plugs, make sure you inform the rest of us. i'm definitely going to try to watch your progress
Old 07-13-02, 03:03 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Exclamation Correction

Thanks for catching the misinformation, Bit!! Of course I meant flywheel horsepower. I've been LONG overdue for another senior moment anyway!! :eek:
Only other trick I have is to install the new "Race" ECU which I received last week. I'll try to do the changes one at a time & post any results ( good OR bad ) as they happen.

Last edited by Mean Gene; 07-13-02 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: How much gain possible without forced induction?