GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How satisfied are you with your modifications? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-02, 08:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally posted by dipstick
... this stuff is priceless to be all in one place.
Thanks. Hey mods, maybe worth making sticky. Might eliminate a lot of posts.
Old 07-15-02, 08:05 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CHROME 20 inch HRE 540's - a 5 on the BLING scale!

CHROME trunk bar - a reasonable priced mod and also 5 on the BLING scale!

CHROME SRT intake - low end noise not too happy 4 but also a 5 on the BLING scale. Dont forget the heat shield....chrome that too for the super BLING BLING effect !

CHROME TRD strut Bar - doesn't do much but looks good - a 5 on the BLING SCALE !

CHROME Shift **** - doesn't do much but look good and replaces stock **** which wears easy.....a 5 on the BLING SCALE !

CHROME Shifter TRIM Ring - I WISH I HAD THIS....a must have ! 0 on the BLING SCALE cause i dont have it...

CHROME amplifiers - 5's on the BLING SCALE!
Old 07-15-02, 08:10 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Agreed

Great idea, Bit - if enough members post their experiences and opinions about their mods, it ends up being a poll with a lot of options. Even guys with a ton of mods could post an opinion on one or two items without hitting every one. When I see itsallgood's list I can understand that he may not have time to write a novel-sized post!

But, you other members with some strong feelings (pro or con) about specific items - list 'em - vent, etc. It may help some other member from making the same mistake.

My .02 cents worth.

Manuel - LOL! I don't know that I've ever seen a post with so many BLINGS!

Last edited by garnet92; 07-15-02 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-16-02, 03:41 AM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for info
Old 07-16-02, 06:12 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with GSintensive....except I'm not 100% done yet.

Stuff on my GS - 5.
Otherwise, I would just trash it and get something better. Occasionally, I will sidegrade for no other reason than just to get the same brand for example. Why? Because I can.

Bling Factor - 0.
I am working on getting it into the Negatives.
Old 07-16-02, 10:17 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Good topic

I'm a hard scorer so remember that as you read this.

L-tuned Steering ECU - 4
Had this been early after the installation of the ECU I would have given this a 5. The change from stock to this was so great that I was delighted. After driving it for over six months though I feel that it is still a touch too light. So I marked it down 1.

L-tuned Springs/Shocks - 5
Without a doubt this should be the standard setup from the factory. Not only does the handling improve with little to no change in ride quality but the look of the car is so much better with the small drop. Only drawback, and it's a really small one, is having to be more careful on curbs etc...

L-tuned Exhaust - 3
Similar to the ECU I would have rated this a 4 soon after the install. The woof at startup and the general goodness of the improved exhaust sound had me thinking positive thoughts. However after a period of time the mufflers have gotten a bit louder making things annoying in certain weather conditions. The drone at ~2K RPM can sometimes be more annoying especially with the TC installed. Overall still nice, not a super deep tone like from a 5.7 GM motor but not bad.

TRD Sways and LCB - 5
This really firmed the ride up, some people think quite a bit harsher, to what I think is just right for a sport sedan. The body lean goes away and it handles much, much better than stock. If you are looking to keep the luxury ride though stay away.

PI Torque Converter - 4
The improvement comes in two forms: It downshifts more quickly and which then also allows the motor to get up the power band quickly. Slight downsides are the bogus interaction with the cruise control in that it downshifts too eagerly! It also seems to keep the motor in the 2K range more often at half-boogie which raises the exhaust resonance thang. Overall my main issue is I may want to lower the stall speed some given my other mods.

Hayden Trans Cooler - 5
What can I say? Simple install, looks good (black and stealthy) and great peace of mind. Can't say I've actually been able to measure the lower temps but the cooler sure does get hot so it must be working.

Royal Purple Oil - 4
This is tough to grade. I switched to RP with the install of my Stage II SC. The car seems to run a touch quieter and the gas mileage seems to be high based on how I drive it so I give the oil some of that credit. The oil looks better when I change it out at 3K than the Mobil 1 did previously. Very subjective but that's all I have to go on.

SRT Stage III - 4 or should that be a 1 by strict definition?
Remember, I'm a tough grader! With the Stage III I'm finally content with the power adding on my car. The only regret and it's by the nature of the beast is not enough low-end torque. I guess I just got used to lots of low-end torque with the turbo 6 in the Typhoon and the 5.7L LS1 in the Firehawk. I would like more but am happy. I think I've now put 9K miles on my GS with a combination of Stage II and Stage III. No check engine lights caused by the install and lots more power. With the Stage II setup there was a huge issue with shifting and the original valve body upgrade I had done. With the Stage III that has been resolved and had I not been making more power than expected all shifting would be totally good. Quality of the parts is great, what can I say, it rocks!

Volk Racing AV3 - 4
What can I say. I love the classic design, the staggered look and it's a quality rim. I still think that the 18" size is perfect for the trade-off of handling/performance and looks. I mark it down because it isn't an HRE class wheel.

Michelin Pilot Sport - 4
I expected a bit more from these tires especially at the price. They give me a lot more feedback before breaking loose than the stock tires and they provide the same level of ride comfort as the stock 17" tires. However overall lateral grip is not as big a step up from stock as I would have expected. Much better in the rain than stock but overall leave me wanting for more/better.
[edit 11/22/02]
I've upped my rating to a 4 from a 3. I think I was reacting more to the staggered wheel setup that was part of the tire upgrade. I think it more than the tires changed the handling dynamics of the car and until I got used to it and driving with it this way it made me think the tires had less grip. I'm very happy now with how aggressive I can be when I push the tires. Not a 5 because of price.

Langka - 3. I need to fix some paint chips on the front edge of the hood. I've bought this but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Heard lots of good things.
[edit 11/22/02]
Changed from tbd to 3]
I think the Langka worked well as far as smoothing out the paint blobs but I'm unhappy with the finished look of the final touched up painted product.

Zaino - 5. Rocks! The darker your car the better you'll like the results (Amazing what it did to a reasonably maintained black 6 yr old car) but it's so easy to put on and maintain you'll want to Zaino just for the heck of it.

Debadging/Black Chrome - 5

(DE-BADGED TRUNK – I wouldn't do it. When I see a debadged car I always think it's a lower end model trying to pretend it's a high end one)
Bit, Bit, Bit... [shakes head]

The whole point of this is I don't care what other people think! I think it looks good. If other people take it for a 300 all the better, especially if they are silly enough to want to run with me! I went with black chrome with only the center L in the back and the black chrome L for the front grill. Kinda blends in nicely and offset the white of my car just so...

Oops, almost forgot one.

TRD LSD - 5
If I had to include the price to install I'd rate it a 3 but that was my fault for not finding someone cheaper. It actually is reasonable to install and I've found that in the type of driving I do it offers a very noticeable increase in traction (especially coupled with the larger 275 rear tires). This is most apparent in the snow. Before the LSD it was a bit touchy driving in the snow and ice even with snow tires. With the LSD the car fills you with confidence and handles most things you throw at it. I use the RP 85W-140 in it and it works great!

[edit 11/22/02]
AP Racing Brakes - 4
Still breaking these in really but they are clearly several steps above the stock brakes. Very linear pedal effort and a seemingly endless ability to stop time after time with little variation. I marked them down for price and the fact that you don't really need them in normal every-day driving. Cheaper alternatives would do.

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 11-22-02 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-16-02, 10:48 AM
LexCiting
Lead Lap

What stall speed are you at now with your TC?

Last edited by LexCiting; 07-16-02 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-16-02, 12:07 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Have you taken it to the track and if so what are you running?
Old 07-17-02, 04:25 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

manaray, i think of us mite have the same next "project"

i am thinking of clear corner in 01 taillight. wat do you think?
Old 07-17-02, 07:42 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any relation?

Mr. Johnson - Are you related to Notch Johnson, star of "Son of the Beach?" It's an educational treatment of a man and the sea. I forget whether it's on PBS or Discovery, but it is filled with redeeming social value (drool - drool). Actually, it's produced by Howard Stern - need I say more?

But I digress - thanks for the detailed post - especially the TC and SC. The TC is probably my next performance upgrade, and I'll be interested to get input on the stall speed issue. And, I know how the membership perks up when someone says "supercharger". That's one word that ranks right up there with "panties".

Last edited by garnet92; 07-17-02 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-17-02, 08:49 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Question

garnet92: WTF are you talking about?!? Are you implying something? LOL....

LexCiting/garnet92: You know I never specifically asked Mo about the stall speed and it is not written down anywhere in the paperwork I got with the TC but based on driving it around and watching the tach I'm guessing its a 2800 stall.

GS400_PUSHER: It's still hot as heck here and coupled with work and family commitments I haven't had the time. I *will* do it though and you all will know, good or bad.

FWIW: Mr. Johnson was my Quake name and it's just kinda stuck with me.
Old 07-17-02, 08:50 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Supercharger!

Old 07-17-02, 09:17 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Yes do that and let us know ok!
Old 07-18-02, 04:03 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GSintensive - yes, that was on my list...but I have a few more items...we can discuss during our photo shoot...
Old 07-20-02, 12:43 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't stop posting guys! even your one favorite or one worst mod will help and be interesting

Quick Reply: How satisfied are you with your modifications? (long)