GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How satisfied are you with your modifications? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-02, 09:29 AM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed the SRT "race" ecu

I just edited my original post to include a rating of the new ecu, and to make sure that I've got your attention ...

PANTIES!

Last edited by garnet92; 07-26-02 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-08-02, 07:57 PM
dipstick
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bumping this thread for Nitro if he hasn't found it already.
Old 11-22-02, 05:48 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Default Resurrected Thread

About 4 months have passed since originally posting this thread and some things have changed, others added, and I wanted to bump it back into activity to benefit some of our newer members who are asking questions about various mods.

I’d encourage others to update their “old” postings if anything has changed – especially opinions of a mod that may have changed over several months time. I’ve edited my original post to reflect some new additions so that it’s current as of today.

Hope that it helps.
Old 11-22-02, 10:49 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up Great Idea

I've edited my entries and made my single addition.
Old 01-12-03, 10:39 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Diary of mods

My list of mods to date is very short, but I like this thread and it will serve as a good diary for myself as well as others:

1999 Alpine Silver GS400
Date of Purchase: November 20th 2002
Purchased From: Lexus of London, London, Ontario, Canada
Mileage: 51K Kms/32K miles
All options including spoiler and 17" chrome rims
Tires on car - Michelin Pilot 245/45R17 - All seasons front and back. These are obviously not the original tires as they look fairly new. I don't know why the previous owner put these all seasons on as opposed to the Z-rated tires. Anyway, it turned out to be a good thing for the winters up here as the car has decent grip in Ice and snow. So no complaints.
Trade-in: 1996 Mercedes-Benz E320 - 120K miles.

Modifications

Engine/Performance
  • L-tuned Steering ECU - I give this a 3 since I could not really tell the difference.
  • L-tuned stainless steel mufflers - 5 - I love the subtly aggresive note of this exhaust plus the shiny stainless steel look. The thick lip edges of the tips are a big bonus.
  • Techkit Grounding kit - 5 - the engine is definitely smoother
  • Supra TT 3.76 gear Torsen type LSD - 5 - one of the better mods I have done
  • Precision Industries 2800 RPM stall speed Torque Converter - 5 - the best mod ever

Suspension/Handling
  • Tein Flex coilover suspension with Eletronic Damping Force Controller - 5 - just plain awesome other than the so-called "noise" issue. This mod is especially useful because of the EDFC
  • TRD front STB (TRD stands for Toyota Racing Development) - 5 - car corners very flat (this applies to all the suspension mods.
  • TRD front LCB
  • TRD blue race sway bars (100% more stiffer sway bars than the OEM sway bars)
  • Toms rear LCB
  • Cusco rear STB
  • 18 inch HRE 447R. 8.5 inches wide front rims and 9.5 inches wide rear rims with 245/40ZR-18 front tires and 275/35ZR-18 rear tires on Bridgestone Pole Position S-03 Z-rated performance tires - I rate this a 4 as I think 18 inch rims are still small for a big bodied car like the 2nd gen GS. 19 inch tires would be optimal in terms of performance/looks compromise

Brakes
  • StopTech 14 inch (drilled rotors) big brake kit with 4-pot calipers painted black for the front - 5 the brake feel is just fantastic!!!
  • StopTech 11 inch drilled rotors for the rear with stainless steel braided brake lines - 5 overall a very worthwhile mod

Cosmetic/Exterior
  • L-tuned side skirts - 4 - they're ok. Played out a bit too much on CL
  • L-tuned grille - 4 - they're ok. Played out a bit too much on CL
  • TTE Front lip spoiler - 4 - they're ok. Played out a bit too much on CL
  • 01 tail lights - 5 - excellent mod
  • 3M protection film on all front lights - 5 - must do mod. My headlights are now 3 years old and the still look brand new.
  • 35% tint - 5. Must have mod.

Cosmetic/Interior
  • Wood ashtray - 5 great if you are into the "wood" look

Lighting
  • Fogs upgraded to 6000K HID's - 5 absolutely fantastic mod!
  • OEM Auto leveling HID headlights upgraded from 4100K HIDs to 6000K HIDs - 5 - great mod
  • Upgraded door entry lights to Raybrig 194's - 5 - fantastic mod!

Last edited by Hameed; 02-06-06 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-12-03, 02:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,418 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Default Re: Great Idea

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
I've edited my entries and made my single addition.
Updated mine too.
Old 01-12-03, 02:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default On a leased car would you....

Great post on the mods. Sounds like the L-Tuned suspension is a no brainer. However, if you were leasing the car (as I am) for 39 - check that 37.5 more months, would you still do the $1,100 L-Tuned Suspension Mod?
Old 01-12-03, 03:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,370 Posts
Default Re: On a leased car would you....

Originally posted by doug_999
Great post on the mods. Sounds like the L-Tuned suspension is a no brainer. However, if you were leasing the car (as I am) for 39 - check that 37.5 more months, would you still do the $1,100 L-Tuned Suspension Mod?
Yes, absolutely.
Old 01-13-03, 06:38 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Instead of doing an L-tuned suspension mod, does anyone have experience with the H&R springs and Bilstein shock upgrade? I have heard it is better, plus you get a lower drop with the H&R springs - 1.5 inches as opposed to 1 inch with the L-tuned mod.

Let me know your thoughts on this mod compared to the L-tuned mod. I am leaning towards this mod instead. Please keep in mind that I have not done any wheel/tire mods yet. Stock 17 inch rims are still on the car.
Old 01-13-03, 07:57 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

Best post I've seen yet!!
Old 12-20-04, 11:04 AM
daleer
Pole Position

Man this is a great thread - although a little old.

Anyone have any updated list of mods and ratings to share - I'd love to see more of these
Old 12-20-04, 12:16 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll add some of my impressions on some of my mods.

1. H&R sport springs 4 I bought these thinking it would help handling some and drop the car. My main reason was to drop the car and it did so nicely. THe car was lowered and looked real nice with the OEM 17" chrome. I dont think it really did much for handling though, well it may have done a little. But I also was running it with the stock shocks. I did this for several years and had no problems I have read where some say that the springs will kill your shocks, it didnt happen to me.

2. SRT intake with ECU 5 I loved this mod it did what it promised more power especially down low. I unlike some folks here loved the sound of the intake if you went WOT it would sound like someone was sucking all the air out of the room, sounded very mean. It also gave a whistling sound under some part throttle conditions, that was also in my opinion really nice sounding.

3. Supercharger 5 this one is off the charts, I cant even begin to explain how differnet the car is. I do have shifting problems under wot especcially but I think a Valve body will help alot

4. Smaller pulleys 3 This was a mixed bag, RMM only meant the SC to work with about 5 pounds of boost. Once I went to smaller pulleys to make more boost, I started having slipping and shreading belts. It did make more hp but it was always for a limited time since the belts would start to slip after a short period. THankfully I am moving to a cogged pulley setup which should solve this and increase boost further.

5. TRD swaybars 5 The car corners flat as a pancake and at pretty much any speed. It did not affect ride comfort.

6. Tein flex with edfc 4 Car feels race ready and is very tight I can now mountain race and gracefully drift around corners with confidence and with some of these cliffs with no guard rail that confidence really helped. At first I didnt think the EDFC was a good mod, becuase I always left the settings at the hardest setting. I have come to like the EDFC after a few months I would miss it now. I can change the firmness when in the city (potholes) on the highway or in the suburbs or with the wife when she is applying makeup (Eyeliner especially). Oh also the car before the teins the rearend used to feel like it would come aloose whne taking highway corners at speed. Once I put the teins on the rear no longer felt loose.

7. Torque converter 5 car shifts harder and faster, I like it.

8. TRD LSD 3 THis is an okay mod but it changes the way the car handles, if you are not careful the cars rearend will come around. I enjoyed driving on the edge with understeer. I still have not been able to comfortably drive the car on that edge for fear of the cars rear end coming around. THe good thing is that the VSC will save you most of the time from really loosing it. I couldnt imagine driving with out the VSC now as I used to do when I had the stock diff on the mountains.

PS the reason I gave the Teins a 4 is because they are noisy other than that they would be a 5 by noisy I occasionallly get a clunk sound, I am told that this is because of the metal on metal mounting of thye upper mounts.

Last edited by morris; 12-20-04 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-08-05, 09:19 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

soon i will be able to post something but for now i want to bump this up

Old 02-06-06, 12:59 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

well its been a year and i guess i can post something

RMM S/C - This was alot of fun ... It was a good experience installing myself and nothing is cooler than a GS with a BOV . I give the RMM S/C... a 5

Zeal Function Zi Coilovers
- I orginally had the Flex and hated them (too noisy) when I installed these, it was like day and night . These are my favorite coilovers...hands down one of the best mods I ever bought

Junction Produce Taillights - What can i say ....these are very expensinve but when you put them on the rear of your GS it totally changes the look...just brightens the rear up big time

i give it a 5

Supra TT LSD- this is a must for the GS ...i love this Mod x100000 ...very easy to do, just not too easy finding one ...good luck, I give this one a 5

Jesus so far i have given all 5's

Junction Produce 3pc spoiler - Hands down, the best spoiler made for the GS..lightweight yet strong . It just looks great on the car ...this is what got me started loving Junction

I give it a 5

in a few months i will have a writeup on Airrunner and Jp scaras and the JP bodykit

and a few suprise treats .....

Post up some of your Mods

ohhh Blitz Exhaust ... is a 5x10000000000000000000

if you see it buy it STAT
Old 02-06-06, 01:18 PM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TLW
well its been a year and i guess i can post something

RMM S/C - This was alot of fun ... It was a good experience installing myself and nothing is cooler than a GS with a BOV . I give the RMM S/C... a 5

Zeal Function Zi Coilovers
- I orginally had the Flex and hated them (too noisy) when I installed these, it was like day and night . These are my favorite coilovers...hands down one of the best mods I ever bought

Junction Produce Taillights - What can i say ....these are very expensinve but when you put them on the rear of your GS it totally changes the look...just brightens the rear up big time

i give it a 5

Supra TT LSD- this is a must for the GS ...i love this Mod x100000 ...very easy to do, just not too easy finding one ...good luck, I give this one a 5

Jesus so far i have given all 5's

Junction Produce 3pc spoiler - Hands down, the best spoiler made for the GS..lightweight yet strong . It just looks great on the car ...this is what got me started loving Junction

I give it a 5

in a few months i will have a writeup on Airrunner and Jp scaras and the JP bodykit

and a few suprise treats .....

Post up some of your Mods

ohhh Blitz Exhaust ... is a 5x10000000000000000000

if you see it buy it STAT
Very nice list.
I like the choice on Zeal. I've been thinking the same. How's the Zeal quality and ride compared to Tein?

This is to be my year for more modding, but damn it if uncle sam is taking a bite out of the cash flow being single again.

Quick Reply: How satisfied are you with your modifications? (long)