GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

my new 03 gs 430

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 10:36 AM
lexus_sc40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my new 03 gs 430

Hello all my lexus lovers,i finally got my car. i just bought a mint 03 gs 430 a beautiful black cherry pearl. Now the car did come with 230k miles, but the car drives like new. I have all maintenence records and its been pampered. Anyhow ive already changed the oil and all filters,and everything looked fine,but lastnight i went to change out some of the transmission fluid with factory type, just three quarts. The container i draned the old fluid in i put in the backyard on a table out of the sun, so this morning i went out there and noticed the luquid was purple,so i dripped a few drops onto a paper towel and yup its dark purple, does anyone have any idea why the tranny fluid would be purple? I tried looking it up and it gave me some info on high mileage purple tranny fluid, but i dont think the dealer wouldve put that into it. But not sure if anyone has a clue shoot me a response..thanks have a good one allllll.....peace
Old 09-01-10, 11:08 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the guy used royal purplr atf previously
Old 09-01-10, 12:10 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the pick up
Old 09-01-10, 12:31 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

As said above, it sounds like Royal Purple ATF. Its just about the most expensive off the shelf product you can buy but many people swear by it. I don't know if its ok to substitute in place of Toyota WS, but its otherwise good stuff. I would definitely re-fill with the correct factory fluid.

That is amazing mileage on that car, but my friend's stepdad still has it beat. He has 290k on a 2004 LX470 he bought new, it has to be one of the highest mileage '04s in the country.
Old 09-01-10, 12:55 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dang thats crazy, thats semi truck miles lol, how does one achieve such a high number?
Old 09-01-10, 01:38 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
how does one achieve such a high number?
get a job as a outside salesman and you will see
Old 09-01-10, 05:00 PM
lexus_sc40
Driver School Candidate

thanks everyone for ur responses,yes the last owner used to drive this car back and forth from michigan to florida about 5 times a month period.the research i did was about that royal purple stuff so i guess thay what it is. so if anyone know is it would be ok to mix the factory fluid with the royal purple because that what i did...so if anyone knows let me know. thanks everyone
Old 09-01-10, 05:29 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

I would say no its not ok. On the molecular level the 2 fluids are inconsistent and wont protect evenly... Some what the same reason you do synthetic oil as opposed to natural. just my opinion.
Old 09-01-10, 05:48 PM
lexus_sc40
Driver School Candidate

omg people i dont know what to do im freaking out ,,the car still drive awesome nothing seens to be bad,,,what u guys recommend me ? what should i do....i already mix everything because i didnt know ......i just drained and refill like im supposted to but i diidnt know they put other fluid ....btw the old fluid that i test in the paper towel after a while turn like honey dark honey color...i dont know guys this is so confuse,i hope nothing happen to my car.
Old 09-01-10, 06:04 PM
fenderzig
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just change it out again and put the real Toyota fluid in it. Not a big deal, just a little time consuming.
Old 09-01-10, 06:13 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

There will be no problem mixing the two fluids. If there were they would have been sued out of business by now by people who jacked up their cars. Have you thought to check the Royal Purple website?

Max ATF is fully compatible and can be mixed with other automatic transmission fluids; however, for the best results drain or flush the current oil and then fill with Max ATF.

Max ATF is recommended in vehicles requiring any of these automatic transmission fluids:
* Toyota: Type T, T-III, T-IV

Chances are the last owner did the same service you did, mixing a few quarts of Royal Purple with the stock fluid left in the converter.

On a side note synthetics have been fully compatible with conventional oils for a long time.
Old 09-01-10, 09:11 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

congrats on the gs...love black cherry pearl
Check out the FL section for some meets
Old 09-01-10, 09:50 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
dang thats crazy, thats semi truck miles lol, how does one achieve such a high number?
The weird thing is he is a cardiologist so his business mileage isn't THAT much, just going back and forth between offices occasionally. However that family takes an amazing amount of trips each year, and most of the time they rarely fly. They almost always take the two kids in the LX and go wherever they need to go.
Old 09-02-10, 04:49 AM
MiggzGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the car... Just change it out again your car should be fine.
Old 09-02-10, 08:07 AM
BrentGS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sakataj
get a job as a outside salesman and you will see
Or get a girlfriend that lives 25 miles away

Quick Reply: my new 03 gs 430