GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Stop Trunk Vibration from bass

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-02, 09:39 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop Trunk Vibration from bass

ok i have 2 Alpine 12"s Type R in my trunk and my trunk rattle's on the outside like its gonna fall apart. whats the best method to stop all this rattling. is there any way to stop the vibration than using rammaat or dynamat because i heard these just block the road noise and keep them out of the car. doesn't really damper the vibration on my trunk.
Old 07-14-02, 09:50 PM
kevs
Lexus Test Driver

You might want to try using cotton stuffing....hard to describe. I think it looks like insulation, but you put it between your trunk panels. That should deaden space, but watch out if it gets wet!

I can't really remember the specifics of it, but a friend of mine did this a couple years ago.........

Also, check to make sure that your license plate is in tight. That probably causes some of the rattle, too.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-02, 09:55 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

my license plate is tight. seems like most of the vibration is coming from the side of my bumper. and from the stop of my trunk door. when i push down on it HARD the rattling lessens. can you give me more info exactly what i use to stop the vibration and where to get this stuff thaniks
Old 07-14-02, 10:22 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

have you looked in to Dynamat or RoadKill, both can be pretty helpful in killing rattles, also put some of those rubber stick on things, dont know what they are called exactly, but they put them on the bottom of lamps etc. to prevent them from scraping surfaces, they come in various sizes and are circular and have sticky backing on them, probably find them at home depot, anyway put them on the back of your liscense plate, also make sure your spare is tight down and all your tools+jack, hope this helps out a bit, I know 2 12's shake the s@$t out of a trunk
Old 07-15-02, 12:02 AM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

This you need to really check, is it your trunk or your bumper??? If its your trunk you can use dynamat (here in Hawaii its kind of expensive) but if its your bumper the dynamat won't stick to the inside of your bumper very well... or you can try this thing called rhino lining. Its made for the bed of trucks, they spray it on and it protects the bed from scratches. There are some guys spraying this stuff on the insides of their cars and the rattling is gone. This works on the trunks as well as the rear bumpers...
Old 07-15-02, 02:12 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

I have the same problem. I know a few things: It is the bars that raise your trunk lid and your center brake light and the air flaps in the trunk to start with.
Old 07-15-02, 07:42 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a thread several months ago about the same problem. I know what you're talking about. It is the bumper/exhaust area and it's a pain in the butt. I think the only way to solve this is too remove the bumper and spray a sticky material that will kill road noise. My trunk and doors have 2 layers of acumat, and I still have problems with my bumper. If you find a solution, give us a holla.
Old 07-15-02, 08:23 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

This is the reason I suggested the fifth-order band-pass similar to what is installed in my car. When you place a box in your trunk the bass is IN YOUR TRUNK!! I don't ride around in my trunk, I want my bass in the cabin. All of the output of the sub is pumped through the port in the rear deck where the stock sub used to be. And I don't mean that I removed the stock sub so the bass could penetrate, I mean the port is in the rear deck.

I have zero Dynamat, Rhinoliner, Road Kill, etc... because, I don't need it. There are NO rattles at all. The shop that did mine also has a Kia Rio...I know, I laughed too... it has no rattles either!! Also, when I demo my car for the people who think they need 15s, they sit down and say, thats what I want...only to be disappointed when I show them my ONE 12" that hits 138.6 db on the dash (proven at several USACi events). I get a kick out of clsoing all my windows and doors and cranking the system, you really can't hear much at all...until I open the door!

This type of enclosure IMO is especially necessary with the 1st gens because of the trunk construction with the gas tank and steel firewall behind the rear seat. You'll spend more, but it is worth it!!!

Good Luck John!

T