GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Sound from AC/front panel area during acceleration from a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-10, 09:35 AM
jw11301
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound from AC/front panel area during acceleration from a stop.

During initial acceleration after stopping, I hear a very distinct sound coming from the center of the console around the AC/radio/navigation area that sounds a bit like water passing through a tube, sort of a gurgling noise. Any thoughts on what it could be? Do I need coolant for the AC?
Old 09-06-10, 10:27 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

search for "climate control servo motors"

that is your problem.
Old 09-06-10, 11:50 AM
99GSThree
Driver

Originally Posted by jw11301
During initial acceleration after stopping, I hear a very distinct sound coming from the center of the console around the AC/radio/navigation area that sounds a bit like water passing through a tube, sort of a gurgling noise. Any thoughts on what it could be? Do I need coolant for the AC?
you should use the "search" function,but it's probably air in the cooling system that needs to be bled. I had the same thing and after i changed my t-belt and t-stat (along with coolant) and bled the system the correct way,the noise was gone. Don't know what the servo motors have to do with it if anything at all.
Old 09-07-10, 05:16 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 99GSThree
you should use the "search" function,but it's probably air in the cooling system that needs to be bled. I had the same thing and after i changed my t-belt and t-stat (along with coolant) and bled the system the correct way,the noise was gone. Don't know what the servo motors have to do with it if anything at all.
lol wut.

the noise is coming from the servo motors.

Hey OP, I bet if you turn the key all the way but don't start the car and turn on the climate control you will still hear the noise. Get back and let me know if I'm right.

No amout of air in coolant will make a noise audible from the cabin
Old 09-07-10, 06:42 PM
99GSThree
Driver

servos won't make that type of noise when accel from a stop,they don't work like that. The Lexus tech who did my t-belt even confirmed what the noise was after i read a few threads about it. I told him about the noise when he was doing my t-belt and he said when he's done,the noise will be gone,and it was. yes,you are correct in that when turning the key on,the servos will make noise when first starting up,some louder than others. neither one of us could tell him exactly what the noise is because we are not there,so hopefully he can figure it out. here are a few threads on the "gurgling" noise.
also check to make sure the a/c evap drain hose is not clogged. it's under the car pass side.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...rom-vents.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-the-dash.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-the-dash.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...n-car-off.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-cluster.html
Old 09-08-10, 01:42 AM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

There is alot of really, really bad information in the above links.

Dude.

Please explain to me how air in coolant (lulz) would have some kind of audible effect, heard from inside the cabin (mega lulz)??!!

Not to be an ***, but you may want to research how an engine or cooling system works before you respond.

A car with air pockets trapped in the coolant may overheat. That is it.
Old 09-08-10, 12:53 PM
jw11301
Driver School Candidate

So the car doesn't make the noise standing still. It only manifests itself when I go from a stopped position forward.
Old 09-08-10, 01:09 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OP, thanks for bring this subject up. I've been searching to find this issue for a while!

here is the "climate control servo motors" DIY by sakataj : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...vo-motors.html
Old 09-08-10, 05:45 PM
BoostedOne
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
There is alot of really, really bad information in the above links.

Dude.

Please explain to me how air in coolant (lulz) would have some kind of audible effect, heard from inside the cabin (mega lulz)??!!

Not to be an ***, but you may want to research how an engine or cooling system works before you respond.

A car with air pockets trapped in the coolant may overheat. That is it.
When doing work on the cooling system (ie, draining/filling, t-belt/water pump), air pockets become trapped inside the heater core and that is in fact the noise the OP is hearing. I'm a Lexus tech and have been a tech for quite a while. And yes you can hear air bubbles in the heater core from inside the cabin because guess where the heater core is??
Old 09-09-10, 07:29 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BoostedOne
When doing work on the cooling system (ie, draining/filling, t-belt/water pump), air pockets become trapped inside the heater core and that is in fact the noise the OP is hearing. I'm a Lexus tech and have been a tech for quite a while. And yes you can hear air bubbles in the heater core from inside the cabin because guess where the heater core is??
How can you hear an air buble?

A pocket of air floating in fluid does not make noise. Bubbles make noise when the rise to the atmosphere and "pop". The cooling system is a closed system, closed system = no popping bubbles, no popping bubbles = no noise.

????
Old 09-10-10, 10:00 AM
jw11301
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all. BoostedOne, since I purchased the 2001 GS300 a year ago and don't know when the last time the coolant has been replaced/serviced, would it be best to have it replaced in order to take care of the air?
Old 09-10-10, 10:47 AM
lexusben
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a gurgling sound coming from my center console when i revved up the engine, or move from a stop. I went to get it checked out and they couldn't find anything. However, they did a pressure test on the coolant system. Everything checked out, but ever since that pressure test the gurgling noise has been gone.
Old 09-10-10, 01:48 PM
BIPPUthis!
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is most likely air trapped inside the heater core. I experienced this issue as well last year and "burping" the cooling system will solve the issue. I also had this issue on my DD E36 and I burped it as well to solve the issue. There's quite a few threads on how to "burp" your cooling system...very simple.
Old 09-10-10, 03:27 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BIPPUthis!
it is most likely air trapped inside the heater core. I experienced this issue as well last year and "burping" the cooling system will solve the issue. I also had this issue on my DD E36 and I burped it as well to solve the issue. There's quite a few threads on how to "burp" your cooling system...very simple.
air trapped in the heater core??

this thread is going to make my head asplode.
Old 09-10-10, 03:39 PM
sivikvtec
Intermediate

OP,

If you pop the hood, with the car running...have somebody pump the brakes a bunch of times and listen under the hood. It could also be the accumulator pump on the master cylinder..a normal noise that could sound like it was coming from the dash when inside the car.

Quick Reply: Sound from AC/front panel area during acceleration from a stop.