GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

02 GS300 creaking/popping noise during slow turns

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-10, 07:32 PM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front wheel bearings????

Sorry you spent all that jack with no results.
Old 10-20-10, 07:53 PM
philipjdm
Driver

dang, all that cash for just changing all those parts out, my 03 gs300 that has about 200k chasis miles that i got used for 6.7k i checked my mounts and they were busted but no sign of the ball joints giving out but hopefully you find out what was the problem and share with us second gen owners, good luck!
Old 10-20-10, 08:12 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

I will def investigate this and hopefully figure out the problem. Any findings will be posted for my CL community!
Old 10-20-10, 08:14 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can try to take the front brake off to see are there any brake fit kits and shim kits install? If those fit and shim kits are not install, it can make the popping/clinking noise, but not while turning, thought. I thought mine was the suspensions, but it turned out the brake fit kits and the shims was not install properly by the independent mechanic. good luck.
Old 10-20-10, 08:26 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by ivnnln
You can try to take the front brake off to see are there any brake fit kits and shim kits install? If those fit and shim kits are not install, it can make the popping/clinking noise, but not while turning, thought. I thought mine was the suspensions, but it turned out the brake fit kits and the shims was not install properly by the independent mechanic. good luck.
Yeah good advice but I know exactly what you're talking about. I've researched this in the past and the noise you're referring to is a loud click/pop when backing then braking, and then reverse going forward then braking. When you reverse direction (forward or back) the original pads are shifted back and forth due to poor fitment in the caliper. The 2gen GS is notorious for developing this problem and Lexus issued a TSB along with the shim fit kit to solve this noise. I have this noise going on too but at least I know exactly what it is and will install the fit kit when I do my pads next. Thanks.
Old 10-20-10, 11:37 PM
bADBOySC4
Pole Position

i was reading through this thread and noticed that the noise you describe is typically a balljoint noise heard throughout many 2gs vehicles. but with my experience at the dealer, and hearing the description from the customer, i have come to find that there are a few other noises that could be described that way. 1 being the issue i found with mine when i was still under warranty. 1st question is does it make noise when the engine is warm? or cold? the reason why i ask is because, with my car i had the same issues/description. mine ended up being a power steering pump. the bearing was the culprit making noise. during low speed, more load is put on the p/s pump and makes a loud squeeking/creaking noise. when the fluid shifts, the pump airates and causes a popping noise. have you checked your fluid level or condition?

without hearing the noise or being in the car, its hard to say this is the same situation you have going on but i wanted to throw that out there for you. good luck!
Old 10-21-10, 05:22 AM
Chris98GS4
Pole Position

Make a video of the noise and I'm sure someone can pinpoint the issue!
Old 10-21-10, 06:11 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by bADBOySC4
i was reading through this thread and noticed that the noise you describe is typically a balljoint noise heard throughout many 2gs vehicles. but with my experience at the dealer, and hearing the description from the customer, i have come to find that there are a few other noises that could be described that way. 1 being the issue i found with mine when i was still under warranty. 1st question is does it make noise when the engine is warm? or cold? the reason why i ask is because, with my car i had the same issues/description. mine ended up being a power steering pump. the bearing was the culprit making noise. during low speed, more load is put on the p/s pump and makes a loud squeeking/creaking noise. when the fluid shifts, the pump airates and causes a popping noise. have you checked your fluid level or condition?

without hearing the noise or being in the car, its hard to say this is the same situation you have going on but i wanted to throw that out there for you. good luck!

Thanks for the update badboy. It makes the noise the same whether hot or cold out and whether car is warmed up/cold. Honestly it does not sound like a pump of any sort. It definitely sounds like metal rubbing and grinding on metal or something worn out creaking and popping. I had the fluids checked out and everything is ok there, at least so the shop says.
Basically once you come to a stop and turn the wheel sharply left and right it makes the noise the loudest. After a few turns back and forth the noise goes away. I suppose once you stop and the vehicle's weight is shifted frontward it puts pressure on whatever is making the noise but when turning the wheel back and forth it balances the weight back out and stops the noise. Having said that, it does it when moving but only when at a crawl's pace and not nearly so loud. So coming to a stop has a lot to do with it and it goes away shortly after.
That's the best I can explain it!
Old 10-21-10, 10:07 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

I got the same nasty noises that you guys described when I first got my GS. Upon closer inspection I determined that the upper ball-joints, lower ball-joints, tension rod bushings were shot.

I went and replaced all the ball-joints (upper and lower) as well and all the bushings with Daizen's and the noises are completely gone.
Old 10-21-10, 11:05 AM
raceforgt
Rookie

I haven't done upper ball joints. Just looking at the service diagrams I didn't even think there was such a thing on the GS. And what do you mean by tension rods? Outer tie rods? I replaced those. I'm just not sure about any Daizen bushings. I've read very mixed reviews on non-OEM polyureth. bushings, enough negatives to turn me away from them.
Old 10-21-10, 02:10 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raceforgt
I haven't done upper ball joints. Just looking at the service diagrams I didn't even think there was such a thing on the GS. And what do you mean by tension rods? Outer tie rods? I replaced those. I'm just not sure about any Daizen bushings. I've read very mixed reviews on non-OEM polyureth. bushings, enough negatives to turn me away from them.
These.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...-1999-527.html

Honestly, changing to the Daizen polyurethane bushings has got to be one of the best and most cost effective mod I've done to my GS so far. It made the car feels brand new.

My passenger upper ball-joint was so bad that when I grabs the upright and pull it back and forth I can hear it clunk. When going over bumps it was even worst.
Old 10-21-10, 02:24 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If only Daizen made bushings for grammar...

Originally Posted by Agent0024
These.

Honestly, changing to the Daizen polyurethane bushings has got to be one of the best and most cost effective mod I've done to my GS so far. It made the car feels brand new.

My passenger upper ball-joint was so bad that when I grabs the upright and pull it back and forth I can hear it clunk. When going over bumps it was even worst.
Old 10-21-10, 06:08 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Agent0024
These.

Again, going through the Lexus factory service manual (volume 2) there is NO SUCH THING as an upper front ball joint. Although I've heard others post about such a thing, I've now confirmed it does not exist. So by "upper ball joints" do you mean upper control arms or caster arms? I really do not want to spend $600+ on Sewell on UCAs or even caster arms for that matter unless I KNOW exactly this is the source of the noise.
Others, this thread remains open and ANY help would be appreciated. I dropped another $200 today to the sixth shop for a diagnostic fee that came back "INCONCLUSIVE"!! I'm soo f*#$ing tired of hearing this, it's about to be '02 GS3 bye-bye!
Old 10-21-10, 06:11 PM
raceforgt
Rookie

Originally Posted by pizdets17
hahahaha I knwow ecxatyly rithgt?!
Old 10-21-10, 06:29 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pizdets17
Thanks man, English is not my first language.

Quick Reply: 02 GS300 creaking/popping noise during slow turns