GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TOTAL suspension upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 09:29 AM
bhbiv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOTAL suspension upgrade

ok guys in the next 12 mon i want to do a TOTAL suspension upgrade w/ a nice lowered GS to fit 19's...

so far i want to go w/ tien flex coil overs but i am totally lost on the control arms that are the best. Who has a GREAT control arm/brushing upgrade, websites please. The only ones i have seen so far are the ones on the L-tuned site but nothing to compare them to, other than OEM. and if i'm missing any other parts please advise. So far i have what i want for (Lower front and rear braces, links, plates, strut bars)all Toms, and rear member braces. Let me know if i am on the right track and/or if i am missing things. Thanks
Old 09-12-10, 12:21 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Check FiGS engineering also. He has sway endlinks, toe arm, Mega Arm (lower rear arm), and he's working on the front "hi-steer" w/LBJ for our gs.

He needs front sway endlinks to measure, if anyone has an old one, send it to him please.
Old 09-12-10, 12:26 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam430
Check FiGS engineering also. He has sway endlinks, toe arm, Mega Arm (lower rear arm), and he's working on the front "hi-steer" w/LBJ for our gs.

He needs front sway endlinks to measure, if anyone has an old one, send it to him please.
Yea he's good with his stuff!! And sam you should be getting the rest of the stuff by maybe next week or so.
Old 09-12-10, 12:33 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

cool..thanks!
Old 09-12-10, 01:41 PM
bhbiv
Driver

thanks for the info... any other comparisons guys???
Old 09-13-10, 05:54 AM
bhbiv
Driver

also whats a good upgraded steering rack???
Old 09-13-10, 10:48 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhbiv
also whats a good upgraded steering rack???
Daizen steering rack bushing kit. For a total suspension upgrade you should do what i am working on doing to my car.

Coilovers
Daizen control arm bushings
Daizen steering rack bushings
TRD blue sway bars
New balljoints and Tie rods
Front and rear STB
Front lower brace

This should get your car handling like a porsche. So far i only have coilovers and STB's but my car already handles MUCH better. Goodluck!!!
Old 09-13-10, 06:01 PM
bhbiv
Driver

NICE, thanks bro!!! Whats a good aftermarket ball joint & tie rod, who makes them? or is it just OEM???
Originally Posted by TLcoats
Daizen steering rack bushing kit. For a total suspension upgrade you should do what i am working on doing to my car.

Coilovers
TRD blue sway bars
Front and rear STB
Front lower brace

This should get your car handling like a porsche. So far i only have coilovers and STB's but my car already handles MUCH better. Goodluck!!!

Last edited by bhbiv; 09-13-10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-14-10, 08:24 AM
Grantville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLcoats

Coilovers
TRD blue sway bars
Front and rear STB
Front lower brace

I would suggest you try the urethene bushings with the factory sway bars before you do the TRD Blue sways. The upgrade of the bushings gives the car great balance along with the other stuff listed. The TRD's are stiff enough to bend end links easily in daily driving situations, they are good at what the do. I have both and the stock sways with the bushings provide a better balance in daily driving. If you want the TRD blue's you can buy mine.
Old 09-14-10, 09:48 AM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grantville
I would suggest you try the urethene bushings with the factory sway bars before you do the TRD Blue sways. The upgrade of the bushings gives the car great balance along with the other stuff listed. The TRD's are stiff enough to bend end links easily in daily driving situations, they are good at what the do. I have both and the stock sways with the bushings provide a better balance in daily driving. If you want the TRD blue's you can buy mine.
I'm actually looking for some TRD blue sways. Are you wanting to sell? If so i want to buy!
Old 09-14-10, 04:40 PM
bhbiv
Driver

so the TRD's will bend the stock end links? where can i get upgraded links that wont do that? or what company brand makes them. I'm pretty much doing it all, Ie. nothing stock on the suspension if i can do it.
so far this is what i will be going with:
Tien Flex coils
Tien Front/rear stb (i heard barely any other stb will fit b/c of the tops of the tiens)
FOOTWORKS ~ Adjuster Rear Lower Arms
FOOTWORKS ~ Front Upper Arms
FOOTWORKS ~ Rear Camber Adjuster Upper Arms
FOOTWORKS ~ Roll Center Adjuster Pillow Lower Arms(Kit)
FOOTWORKS ~ Traction Adjuster Rods
FOOTWORKS ~ Rear Knuckle Pillow Bushings
FOOTWORKS ~ Rear Pillow Bushings
Tom's GS lower Front Brace
Tom's GS Rear Lower Brace
Tom's GS Rear Lower Suspension 6-link
Tom's GS Rear Suspension Plates
(as you stated)
TRD GS Sway Bar
what else would i need???
PS: the shoes are going to be F-sport 19's x8 on front and x9 rear

Originally Posted by Grantville
Old 09-14-10, 04:48 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The reason for bending endlinks is that most people are running either OEM or some soft springs. When you do this, the sway bars are handling more load than the stock sways can handle. If you upgrade to stiffer springs, you'll lessen the likelihood of bending the endlinks. Stiffening the endlinks can also have its consequence if you still retain OEM/soft springs.
Old 09-14-10, 05:08 PM
airmax
Pole Position

i would go more aggressive widths on the wheels. just my 2 cents.
Old 09-14-10, 06:10 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

If you do all that your car will handle like a dream! Cant wait to see the progress.
Old 09-14-10, 06:24 PM
Grantville
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
The reason for bending endlinks is that most people are running either OEM or some soft springs. When you do this, the sway bars are handling more load than the stock sways can handle. If you upgrade to stiffer springs, you'll lessen the likelihood of bending the endlinks. Stiffening the endlinks can also have its consequence if you still retain OEM/soft springs.

Good explaination!

But yea what he said, this was my suggestion that you try the bushings first. It is all in compatible stuff for your driving purpose. The sway bar choices are down to three, stock. stock w/urethene-diazen bushings, TRD blues. The TRD's are great, but the inscrease in stiffness from stock is 100+ % which is alot for street driven cars. The bushings, alone with reasonable spring/shock choice are pretty effective and only costs $30.

Quick Reply: TOTAL suspension upgrade